Nintendo Wii - coming Nov. 19

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Sep 17 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]117605[/snapback][/center]
heh, if you track all the ps3 vs 360 vs wii comparisons and arguments over the past 6 months, you will notice a trend. The argument went from which system was better and more powerful (which ps3 won). After winning, the people who still hated the ps3 cause of sony shifted over to usability (360 media center, xbox live, wii's new controls). PS3 crowd won again on half the argument after introducing new controllers, other half (games) had no winner. So the anti-ps3 crowd resorted to price, bashing the 600-900 price tag the PS3 was boasting. When PS3 announced the prices to be 399-499, disgruntled anti-PS3ites are now resorting to quality of hardware, drawing upon the flaws of the PS2 to bash the PS3.

And now, to squash this argument: you guys are bitching about hardware of an older system. Well shit, then let me say how amazing the hardware of the original PS was. I hereby declare your bitchings about the PS2 hardware flaws NULL AND VOID. I swear, if the PS3 was priced at $200, nobody would be bitching about it. Everyone bitches about something they can't afford or can't have, no matter how good it is. Now, just admit that the PS3 is all around better than both the wii and the 360, and leave me to spend my $500 without your criticism so i can be playing next-gen games within a year while you people try to convince yourselves how amazing the wii's controller is while coping with mario's polygonal facial structure that has been unimproved since the n64
[/b]

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Speaking of haters, here we are. You made a poll about if you would buy a PS3, the people on this board answered. It is not "PS3 haters", it is people that are sick of two things. One Sony's blatant disregard of their customers, DRM, rootkit, etc. then two, the price...which isn't $400, I dunno where you got the PS3 price to be $400 from. (Oh, I found it, from a speculation press release over a year ago, yeah, way to stay on top of it).

I have seen the PS3's new controllers, yeah, they saw what the Wii was doing and loosely tried to copy it, and failed miserably. They still advertise the core system with these controllers. They added gyro sensors in a last minute effort (this is obvious because they quickly removed the rumble packs from the controllers in a design mistake) to combat what the Wii was advertising.

So, this "next-gen" console offers the same exact functionality and system as it's previous version but with better graphics. Then expect people to pay 3x times as much as the other consoles that actually comes with a game in the box and a completely free online service. As for the WIi's lack of graphics, this is what Mario 64 looked like, and this is what Mario Galaxy looks like.

No, these are not Sony "haters" (hell I owned a PS1 and PS2, and not to mention I love my widescreen Sony TV), nor are these folks who "bitches about something they can't afford or can't have, no matter how good it is", get over yourself with that comment, I guarentee you I pull in a shitload more than you Stav, what an asinine comment. Not to mention you are the same person who argued with me over $5 fucking dollars a month with the Netflix/Blockbuster arguement, and you of all people are arguing that people are cheap?!?!?!?!??!?! Holy shit. What a hypocrit.

Buy your PS3, have fun with it, but the majority of folks here are going to spend less money, get more games, more functionality, more online services, and not have to worry about faulty hardware (sorry, the PS2 was billed as a DVD player as well as a game system, it failed miserably as a DVD player)...but you'll have better graphics...../golfclap

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Sep 17 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]117663[/snapback][/center]
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Speaking of haters, here we are. You made a poll about if you would buy a PS3, the people on this board answered. It is not "PS3 haters", it is people that are sick of two things. One Sony's blatant disregard of their customers, DRM, rootkit, etc. then two, the price...which isn't $400, I dunno where you got the PS3 price to be $400 from. (Oh, I found it, from a speculation press release over a year ago, yeah, way to stay on top of it).

I have seen the PS3's new controllers, yeah, they saw what the Wii was doing and loosely tried to copy it, and failed miserably. They still advertise the core system with these controllers. They added gyro sensors in a last minute effort (this is obvious because they quickly removed the rumble packs from the controllers in a design mistake) to combat what the Wii was advertising.

So, this "next-gen" console offers the same exact functionality and system as it's previous version but with better graphics. Then expect people to pay 3x times as much as the other consoles that actually comes with a game in the box and a completely free online service. As for the WIi's lack of graphics, this is what Mario 64 looked like, and this is what Mario Galaxy looks like.

No, these are not Sony "haters" (hell I owned a PS1 and PS2, and not to mention I love my widescreen Sony TV), nor are these folks who "bitches about something they can't afford or can't have, no matter how good it is", get over yourself with that comment, I guarentee you I pull in a shitload more than you Stav, what an asinine comment. Not to mention you are the same person who argued with me over $5 fucking dollars a month with the Netflix/Blockbuster arguement, and you of all people are arguing that people are cheap?!?!?!?!??!?! Holy shit. What a hypocrit.

Buy your PS3, have fun with it, but the majority of folks here are going to spend less money, get more games, more functionality, more online services, and not have to worry about faulty hardware (sorry, the PS2 was billed as a DVD player as well as a game system, it failed miserably as a DVD player)...but you'll have better graphics...../golfclap
[/b]
again, you're putting the faults of the PS2 as a "sure thing" for the PS3. If that isn't asinine, i don't know what is. Second, going back to bb/netflix, we were arguing which was the better deal: $17.99 a month for 3 unlimited rentals, or $17.99 a month for 3 unlimited rentals + 4 free additional in-store rentals monthly. There was no price difference. THird, you're right about the price. It is $500/$600. My mistake on that part. Fourth, look at Mario's hat. That is what I mean by polygonal. Nintendo was never able to perfect that, and they sure as hell haven't made much of an advance with the wii. I still see a game made of polygons, unlike the PS3 which consists of fully flexible vectors for interactive objects. Fifth, Sony didn't try to "copy" nintendo. That argument has already been made. Sony didn't see the Nintendo press release and then go to its labs and pump out a "copy." The sony release of the controller was made very shortly after the nintendo release. I wish R&D was that fast these days. Sixth, every "next gen" console has similar functionality with better graphics than it's predecessor. What's the point of buying a new console then? Why buy the wii, game cube has the same functionality with lesser graphics. No point in buying the wii there, is there? Oh wait, the controller and the interactivity? Yeah, isn't that the same issue with the PS3? thought so. And Seventh, Sony's disregard for customers. Name me one for-profit organization that says, "hmmm, let's do everything we can for the customer in order to make them happy." Sorry, there are no ethics in business. I can blame nintendo for worse shit, like blatantly putting seizure-apt sequences in their games, even though they know they cause seizures. Yeah, but that's OK, cause you're DVD player is so much more important. GIve me a break.It's like trying to say that a thief is better than a scoundrel. They're both corporations wanting to rake in profits. The only reason companies actually give a bit of a damn about customers and actually have a customer service department is cause they have to by law, not cause they want to. Stop going in circles.

Wow, go Fluffy :)

And also Nintendo > Sony

I really don't see Nintendo as a greedy corporation mostly because every thing they have made thus far has been in my eyes utterly cool and worth the bang for your buck. I mean seriously Nintendo has been in buisness for decades, before I was born and not once have they let me down. I <3 Nintendo and I despise Sony.

This will soon be in the flame wars section methinks, however...

About Nintendo being greedy just like every other company. Yes, nintendo tries to make profits, since they are a business. They however don't put out shoddy machinery and other crap like Sony has done. They also have quite a down to earth approach in dealing with their customers, not sure why, but Nintendo Execs seem more like people and less like advertising agents. Also, Nintendo seems to actually give a damn about and enjoy what they do, they are usually trying new things and thinking outside the box.

And about passing judgment on the PS3 based on the PS2's shitty build at the beginning and the PSP fuckups being asinine, I fail to see how. Firstly, people are creatures of habit and repeat mistakes more often than not. Second, past actions are drawn into consideration when thinking of new posibilities. Example. Imagine SoE making a new SWG game, lets say SWG:2. How many of us would be skeptical that it is going to suck based on the fact that SoE is making it. It is the same thing here, I have had Sony consoles fuck up on me in the past, so I am going to be reluctant on buying one.

I think we should let the figures do the talking, in ironsight this has been a great debate, but for me I know the market, I know the consumer.

No offense the Wii will flop, PS3 will sell out because it has the Playstation brand name, brand association.

Earliest figures will be January.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Sep 18 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]117763[/snapback][/center]
I think we should let the figures do the talking, in ironsight this has been a great debate, but for me I know the market, I know the consumer.

No offense the Wii will flop, PS3 will sell out because it has the Playstation brand name, brand association.

Earliest figures will be January.
[/b]

The bolded I agree with. We will see in Janurary.

No sense in taking this argument any futher before Stav and I do end up warranting a thread move.

While I certainly think the PS3 will sell I don't see the wii flopping. If you don't think the name Nintendo carries brand association then you really don't know the market or consumer.

When Mom and Pop knownothingaboutgames comes into a store looking for a game console for little Jimmy for xmas the name "Nintendo" carries as much weight as "Playstation" and when someone in the store shows them the 2 systems then they see the price tags, what do you think Mom and Pop will purchase? "Well Jimmy has a NINTENDO gameboy, so i'm sure this will be alright"

Besides the fact that alot of people love Nintendo first party games, Mario, Zelda and Metroid....3 franchises launching at the start of or near the start of the wii's career.

The PS3 WILL sell....but I don't see how you can say the wii will flop.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Settbacca @ Sep 18 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]117777[/snapback][/center]
While I certainly think the PS3 will sell I don't see the wii flopping. If you don't think the name Nintendo carries brand association then you really don't know the market or consumer.

When Mom and Pop knownothingaboutgames comes into a store looking for a game console for little Jimmy for xmas the name "Nintendo" carries as much weight as "Playstation" and when someone in the store shows them the 2 systems then they see the price tags, what do you think Mom and Pop will purchase? "Well Jimmy has a NINTENDO gameboy, so i'm sure this will be alright"

Besides the fact that alot of people love Nintendo first party games, Mario, Zelda and Metroid....3 franchises launching at the start of or near the start of the wii's career.

The PS3 WILL sell....but I don't see how you can say the wii will flop.
[/b]

My father (60+ years old, loved the old school video systems - think Atari) asks me about getting a Wii...of course he called it the "new Nintendo thing", yeah, that's brand recognition.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Sep 18 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]117779[/snapback][/center]
My father (60+ years old, loved the old school video systems - think Atari) asks me about getting a Wii...of course he called it the "new Nintendo thing", yeah, that's brand recognition.
[/b]

I really think it will depend on your generation. Those of us in our late 20's early 30's grew up with nintendo almost exclusively. To us that IS our brand.

Don't get me wrong, I had a PS eventually too. But I always had the latest Nintendo item because that was what I really knew.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Sep 18 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]117779[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
My parents even call the PS2 and Xbox Nintendos. There is nothing aside from a Nintendo for them, so fuck Bananaman and his "Brand loyalties" :p

P.S. that wasn't a serious "fuck Bananaman" and I ment no offense by it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Sep 18 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]117782[/snapback][/center]
I really think it will depend on your generation. Those of us in our late 20's early 30's grew up with nintendo almost exclusively. To us that IS our brand.

Don't get me wrong, I had a PS eventually too. But I always had the latest Nintendo item because that was what I really knew.
[/b]

Speak for yourself, I grew up with my Atari 2600 that I used to play Super Breakout and Star Raiders with dear old Dad all the time. He used to be really good at Breakout too....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Sep 18 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]117840[/snapback][/center]
Speak for yourself, I grew up with my Atari 2600 that I used to play Super Breakout and Star Raiders with dear old Dad all the time. He used to be really good at Breakout too....
[/b]

I loved my Atari, but I was asking for Nintendo ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Sep 18 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]117840[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

just wait until atari puts out their top secret next gen console that will beat them all :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Sep 18 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]117857[/snapback][/center]
just wait until atari puts out their top secret next gen console that will beat them all :p
[/b]
Heh that would be funny shit

they come outta no where with

ULTRA SUPER DO ATARI

the console looks the same and they still use cartridges but they are super mega cartriges that are somehow better than blueray and Atari has all the best features I can see it now /envision

Nintendo Wii $150

Specs

CPU
IBM Broadway 729MHz
Internal Storage 5
12MB Flash Memory
GPU
ATI Hollywood
Optical Disc Drive
8cm GameCube/12cm Wii
Supported Resolution
up to 480p, Worse than standard TV "720"
12cm Disc Capacity
4.7GB (single) / 8.5GB (dual)
System Memory
Unknown
Memory Expansion
2 SD Memory
Wii Controller Ports
Wireless (4 minimum)
Internet Connectivity
WiFi 802.11b/g
GameCube Controller Ports
4 Ports
Disc Compatibility
GameCube
GameCube Memory Expansion
2 Ports
Downloadable Content
NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafx
USB 2.0
2 Ports

XBO 360 $200-300

Specs

Media
DVD
Processor
3.2GHz G5 - 3 Cores
System RAM
512MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz, 10MB Embedded DRAM
Graphics Chip
ATi@500MHz
Max Resolution
1080i
Video Out
Component
Network
100Mbit 1Gbit (1000Mbit)
Controllers
4 x wireless
Hard Drive
20GB
Overall System Speed
1 TFlop

Playstation 3 $450-600

Specs

Media
Blu-Ray 50GB
Processor
3.2GHz Cell - 7 SPEs
System RAM
256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz, 256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz VRAM
Graphics Chip
nVidia RSX@550MHz
Max Resolution
1080p Progressive
Video Output
HDMI 1.3 (on 60 gig system)
Network
802.11 b/g on 60GB model
Controllers
7 x Wireless
Hard Drive
20Gb or 60Gb (Install your own option too)
Overall System Speed
2.18TFlops

Make your choice wisely

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Sep 18 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]117966[/snapback][/center]
Nintendo Wii $150

Specs

CPU
IBM Broadway 729MHz
Internal Storage 5
12MB Flash Memory
GPU
ATI Hollywood
Optical Disc Drive
8cm GameCube/12cm Wii
Supported Resolution
12cm Disc Capacity
System Memory
Unknown
Memory Expansion
2 SD Memory
Wii Controller Ports
Wireless (4 minimum)
Internet Connectivity
WiFi 802.11b/g
4 Ports
Disc Compatibility
GameCube
2 Ports
Downloadable Content
USB 2.0
2 Ports

XBO 360 $200-300

Specs

Media
DVD
Processor
3.2GHz G5 - 3 Cores
System RAM
Graphics Chip
ATi@500MHz
Max Resolution
1080i
Video Out
Component
Network
100Mbit 1Gbit (1000Mbit)
Controllers
4 x wireless
Hard Drive
20GB
Overall System Speed
1 TFlop

Playstation 3 $450-600

Specs

Media
Blu-Ray 50GB
Processor
3.2GHz Cell - 7 SPEs
System RAM
Graphics Chip
nVidia RSX@550MHz
Max Resolution
1080p Progressive
Video Output
Network
802.11 b/g on 60GB model
Controllers
7 x Wireless
Hard Drive
Overall System Speed
2.18TFlops

Make your choice wisely

[/b]

It's doesn't matter if it was made of paper and carboard. If it has the coolest games, I'm getting it :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Sep 19 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]117966[/snapback][/center]
Nintendo Wii $150

Specs

CPU
IBM Broadway 729MHz
Internal Storage 5
12MB Flash Memory
GPU
ATI Hollywood
Optical Disc Drive
8cm GameCube/12cm Wii
Supported Resolution
12cm Disc Capacity
System Memory
Unknown
Memory Expansion
2 SD Memory
Wii Controller Ports
Wireless (4 minimum)
Internet Connectivity
WiFi 802.11b/g
4 Ports
Disc Compatibility
GameCube
2 Ports
Downloadable Content
USB 2.0
2 Ports

XBO 360 $200-300

Specs

Media
DVD
Processor
3.2GHz G5 - 3 Cores
System RAM
Graphics Chip
ATi@500MHz
Max Resolution
1080i
Video Out
Component
Network
100Mbit 1Gbit (1000Mbit)
Controllers
4 x wireless
Hard Drive
20GB
Overall System Speed
1 TFlop

Playstation 3 $450-600

Specs

Media
Blu-Ray 50GB
Processor
3.2GHz Cell - 7 SPEs
System RAM
Graphics Chip
nVidia RSX@550MHz
Max Resolution
1080p Progressive
Video Output
Network
802.11 b/g on 60GB model
Controllers
7 x Wireless
Hard Drive
Overall System Speed
2.18TFlops

Make your choice wisely

[/b]
Is that american dollars? If so I think you are about 100 off

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gomi @ Sep 18 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]118050[/snapback][/center]
Fuck both of them. My Atari still works.
[/b]
Haha Gomi, you old fogey!

....wait, I have an Atari too :huh:

Back