17yo rape victim sentenced to death

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hakan @ Feb 10 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]42443[/snapback][/center]
Let me play devil's advocate for a second. What if she really murdered the man and using rape as an excuse and furthermore West's reaction as a means to get awat from it. I have seen smilar incidents in Turkey, West is sometimes too keen to jump to such stories.
[/b]
We can only base our judgements on the facts at hand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djmtott @ Feb 10 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]42459[/snapback][/center]
We can only base our judgements on the facts at hand.
[/b]

Facts? Known facts are this. There is a murder, there is a claim that the woman was assaulted to be raped, there is no word whatsoever about court's decision about rape attempt.

Let me ask you in a different way. What would happen in U.S., if a woman kills a man and then claims there was an attempt of rape and she defended herself?

Anyone remember "Crush". Guys aint the only fucked up people on the planet. For all we know she banged the guy, then to keep it a secret she killed him.

But then again she could have been raped, dont have all the facts, but in that case I do feel sorry for her.

What I am saying is this we are in no place to judge with the little information in our hands just becoz the country is Iran.

Ppl kill others for many reasons all around the world and most of them when under trial lie to get away. Its quite natural. I cant believe with enuf evidence that the woman was assaulted, a judge can find her guilty in any country of the world. A country with such laws is more primitive than stone age.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hakan @ Feb 10 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]42467[/snapback][/center]
What I am saying is this we are in no place to judge with the little information in our hands just becoz the country is Iran.

Ppl kill others for many reasons all around the world and most of them when under trial lie to get away. Its quite natural. I cant believe with enuf evidence that the woman was assaulted, a judge can find her guilty in any country of the world. A country with such laws is more primitive than stone age.
[/b]
The thing is, from what we know of Iran this story sounds completely plausible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hakan @ Feb 10 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]42467[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

I some how doubt she was put to death because she killed a man...and being a woman. Im shure there are many details missing from all this. All Im sayin is... ladies can be psyco too... look at Tiv.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djmtott @ Feb 10 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]42469[/snapback][/center]
The thing is, from what we know of Iran this story sounds completely plausible.
[/b]
Ah see? Thats what our view is of the country. Unless you have a degree in that countrys laws I dont see how you can say that.

We see the Brits as having bad teeth and taking tea breaks every half hour, but do they? Nope.
Do all people from down under know how to throw a boomerang? Bet you no.

stereotypes are what start alot of fights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GameGuru @ Feb 10 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]42471[/snapback][/center]
I some how doubt she was put to death because she killed a man...and being a woman. Im shure there are many details missing from all this. All Im sayin is... ladies can be psyco too... look at Tiv.
Ah see? Thats what our view is of the country. Unless you have a degree in that countrys laws I dont see how you can say that.

We see the Brits as having bad teeth and taking tea breaks every half hour, but do they? Nope.

[/b]

valid and true. It is so easy to make assumptions based on misinformation but until you actually livein aplace. learn its language and its culture you cannot speak with any authority about its ways and even then one would have to be very careful.

The news media today is very clever at spin and it is so easy to believe what we are told just because we saw it on the news, but the challenge woudl be to look deeper, go and find more than one source for the information, and look beyond the face value of the words being displayed or spoken.

I think that many US americans would be astonished to learn than a great many Europeans find their country barbaric because they still uphold the death penalty. I know that many North Americans are disgusted by the open-ness of blatent sexuality as seen in some European countries. There will always be things that we culturally disagree on, some far more so than others and while I won't debate the rights or wrongs of these here, i do challenge people to go a bit deeper than CNN or what ever news networks stories get shown and see more than one side of the tale.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GameGuru @ Feb 10 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]42471[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

There was once a movie called 'Midnight express' it was about an american guy who smuggled narcotics and sent to jail. This part was true then in the movie, turks were shown as monsters. Sorry but i am not buying such crap.

I have seen many times Europe harboring terrorists, one of them is called Fahriye Erdal, she participated killing 2 men and a woman, one of the men was a leading industrialist in Turkey and then she escaped to Belgium. Belgium rejected to give her back to Turkey for trial altho there r bi-lateral agreements. There are many such examples.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Merlyn @ Feb 10 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]42474[/snapback][/center]
valid and true. It is so easy to make assumptions based on misinformation but until you actually livein aplace. learn its language and its culture you cannot speak with any authority about its ways and even then one would have to be very careful.

The news media today is very clever at spin and it is so easy to believe what we are told just because we saw it on the news, but the challenge woudl be to look deeper, go and find more than one source for the information, and look beyond the face value of the words being displayed or spoken.

I think that many US americans would be astonished to learn than a great many Europeans find their country barbaric because they still uphold the death penalty. I know that many North Americans are disgusted by the open-ness of blatent sexuality as seen in some European countries. There will always be things that we culturally disagree on, some far more so than others and while I won't debate the rights or wrongs of these here, i do challenge people to go a bit deeper than CNN or what ever news networks stories get shown and see more than one side of the tale.
[/b]
WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I could learn the blood money was paid by a radio station when the Supreme court turned the lawsuit to be examined again . The incident happened in 1997 and she was pardoned in Jan 2005. Its a shame if shes really innocent to keep her in jail for such a long period.

To get a perspective for all the flag-wavers:

The US has sentenced retarded people to death. That is people with the mental age of 5-10, who can't understand what they are doing.

The US has sentences black people to death without good enough evidence (as proven by them recently being released).

Taken from amnesty internationals home page:

10. Execution of the innocent
As long as the death penalty is maintained, the risk of executing the innocent can never be eliminated.

Since 1973, 122 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. There were six such cases in 2004 and three up to December 2005. Some prisoners had come close to execution after spending many years under sentence of death. Recurring features in their cases include prosecutorial or police misconduct; the use of unreliable witness testimony, physical evidence, or confessions; and inadequate defence representation. Other US prisoners have gone to their deaths despite serious doubts over their guilt.

The then Governor of the US state of Illinois, George Ryan, declared a moratorium on executions in January 2000. His decision followed the exoneration of the 13th death row prisoner found to have been wrongfully convicted in the state since the USA reinstated the death penalty in 1977. During the same period, 12 other Illinois prisoners had been executed. In January 2003 Governor Ryan pardoned four death row prisoners and commuted all 167 other death sentences in Illinois.

Also excecuting people under the age of 18:

6. Use of the death penalty against child offenders
International human rights treaties prohibit anyone under 18 years old at the time of the crime being sentenced to death or executed. The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child and the American Convention on Human Rights all have provisions to this effect. More than 110 countries whose laws still provide for the death penalty for at least some offences have laws specifically excluding the execution of child offenders or may be presumed to exclude such executions by being parties to one or another of the above treaties. A small number of countries, however, continue to execute child offenders.

Eight countries since 1990 are known to have executed prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime ? China, Congo (Democratic Republic), Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, USA and Yemen. China, Pakistan and Yemen have raised the minimum age to 18 in law, and Iran is reportedly in the process of doing so. The USA executed more child offenders than any other country (19 between 1990 and 2003).

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-facts-eng

Start protesting your own government and people will take you a bit more serious.

Also from the same page:

Executions are known to have been carried out in the following countries in 2004:

AFGHANISTAN, BANGLADESH, BELARUS, CHINA, EGYPT, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, JAPAN, JORDAN, KOREA (NORTH), KUWAIT, LEBANON, PAKISTAN, SAUDI ARABIA, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SUDAN, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN

Yeah, nice company you people have there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hakan @ Feb 10 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]42419[/snapback][/center]
Women has the same rights as men. They can vote and can be elected, they can work, they can get education. However mixed education is not preferred, women are valuable for a muslim men, a married woman doesnt have to work, her husband has to. She doesnt even have to clean the house or cook and these are stated in Quran. Women's responsibility is only to be faithful and preserve what belongs to family. Any men who threats his wife wrong commits a sin. Ofcourse it happens just like it happens in every part of the world. But its advised and strictly ordered not to. Men can marry upto 4 wifes provided his wifes agree. If a man divorces a woman he has to pay the amount of money which is subject to agreement before marriage. The amount is women's choice.
[/b]

This might be true in your country friend, but not in Iran. Which brings me back to my original arguement of not being surprised this verdict happened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zhorx @ Feb 10 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]42511[/snapback][/center]
To get a perspective for all the flag-wavers:

The US has sentenced retarded people to death. That is people with the mental age of 5-10, who can't understand what they are doing.

The US has sentences black people to death without good enough evidence (as proven by them recently being released).

[/b]

Here's a little perspective for you, it is ILLEGAL to execute someone in the state I live in, and in a LOT of states in the US. It's called 'States Rights', something a lot of other countries do not understand nor can grasp the concept of. You wanna drag every person in the country in cause of what a some do, fine, be my guest.

You know America used to keep slaves! :eek: America use to hang people to. Before that we were raping and kicking Natives off the land. :eek: Unbelievable atrocities, how could we possibly say anything about our freedoms? Good grief, let me know when Sweden gets out from a monarchy.

You should'nt be able to kill anyone at all it's not our choice!! We don't have that right no one does.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Feb 11 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]42565[/snapback][/center]
You should'nt be able to kill anyone at all it's not our choice!! We don't have that right no one does.
[/b]

Do we need to have the debate about whether war can ever be justified again? ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Feb 10 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]42568[/snapback][/center]
Do we need to have the debate about whether war can ever be justified again? ;)
[/b]
No we can just refert to the other thread.. just restating my opinion lol go dig up the link

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Feb 11 2006, 12:28 AM) [snapback]42570[/snapback][/center]
No we can just refert to the other thread.. just restating my opinion lol go dig up the link
[/b]

I don't wanna :p

Humans are violent...film at 11.

I'm not saying my opinion is right but that's just what I believe. I mean how can you justify killing someone under normal circumstances?

Back