Chicago Follows Suit And Bans Smoking

Well when I lived out west in Utah 5 years ago, it was already like that there.

What is the definition of a public place. If he made it a private club could he get around it?

( I don't smoke, and smoke bothers me a lot, but I also agree that since it is a legal substance than folks should be allowed to smoke in convenient areas at least. )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 17 2006, 05:50 AM) [snapback]28862[/snapback][/center]
YOu're not gonna get lung cancer from some dude walking down the street with a cigarette in his mouth.
[/b]
actually...that does happen...its called SECOND HAND SMOKE...noob :p

Heh, they tried doin this a few years back at my college and just before the school tried to implement it, all the smokers got together and had a smoke out. Needless to say it never went into effect.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 16 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]28862[/snapback][/center]
YOu're not gonna get lung cancer from some dude walking down the street with a cigarette in his mouth. fucking politics.
[/b]

You're not going to get herpes from a naked person walking down the street either, but they don't allow that. Hmm - maybe 'cause there's other reasons? :eek:

actually...that does happen...its called SECOND HAND SMOKE...noob[/b]

I think he meant 1 or 2 breaths of smoke won't give you cancer. And also second hand smoke is a bigger problem for kids whose parents irresponsibly smoke around them.

Smoking is nasty. They really should ban it. Seriously there would most certainly be an uproar about it and people would still continue to smoke but hell it's a bad addiction that's health concerning and it effects people around you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Jan 17 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]29157[/snapback][/center]
Smoking is nasty. They really should ban it. Seriously there would most certainly be an uproar about it and people would still continue to smoke but hell it's a bad addiction that's health concerning and it effects people around you.
[/b]

Why ban it?, like its even possible? I mean think about.
First, the number of employees in the US tobacco industry rival that of all the car manufacturers in the US. Ban it and you are killing whol states like the carolinas and virginia.

Second, they have millions of dollars lobbying DC politicians, i shouldn't have to explain it costs money to become a politicain and even more to stay there.

Third, the tobacco companies put money into the community, like those communities really want to loose those nice parks and buildings? and finally and I will use NY as an example, Taxes. A pack of smokes in NY costs an average of $4.50. $3.00 or so is in taxes that goes directly to the coffers of NY. Millions and Millions the state collects in revenue from smokers and they want to raise it another 1.50 :blink: yeah for real.

So will it go away? not likely. Legislation is attemping to control it, make it look good to the non-smoker, like they are actually doing something. The sheep that still smoke are being led to the slaughter. "Give us your money" the government says. Like they don't take enough of ours as is.

Welcome to another of the 1984 reality (Please don't make me explain 1984 to you) B)

/end rant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrewPA @ Jan 17 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]29031[/snapback][/center]
I think we should be able to smoke pot were ever we like to O wrong thread.
[/b]
QFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Jan 18 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]29186[/snapback][/center]
Third, the tobacco companies put money into the community, like those communities really want to loose those nice parks and buildings? and finally and I will use NY as an example, Taxes. A pack of smokes in NY costs an average of $4.50. $3.00 or so is in taxes that goes directly to the coffers of NY.
[/b]
i agree with everything you said but i gotta say 1 thing- states like nevada, florida, minnesota, etc have packs for roughly $3-$4. New York and New Jersey are infamous states for having packs nearing $7-$8. sorry, only part i had to disagree with

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shaggz1297 @ Jan 18 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]29188[/snapback][/center]
QFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i agree with everything you said but i gotta say 1 thing- states like nevada, florida, minnesota, etc have packs for roughly $3-$4. New York and New Jersey are infamous states for having packs nearing $7-$8. sorry, only part i had to disagree with
[/b]

Sorry that pricing is in NYC. I live in Buffalo and our packs are around 4 - 4.50 (should have specified that) right now but give it time. Its interesting even after not smoking for 7 years I still look at smoke prices and say how can you afford a packa day? it blows my mind.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Jan 18 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]29195[/snapback][/center]
Sorry that pricing is in NYC. I live in Buffalo and our packs are around 4 - 4.50 (should have specified that) right now but give it time. Its interesting even after not smoking for 7 years I still look at smoke prices and say how can you afford a packa day? it blows my mind.
[/b]
oh. yeah i knew a few people from around there and they would always bitch ab0out the prices. what i thought was sad was when i went to vegas the packs there were about .50? cheaper then in minnesota

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Jan 17 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]29157[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
They should ban cell phones while driving. That is a bad addiction and is very unsafe for other people. Oh did I hit something you most likely do? You get the point? Most likely you going to Mc Donalds will far worse for you than second hand smoke.

El-D in my state, you can't use cell phones while driving, unless you have a headset. And I can tell you that the years of second-hand smoke I received while living with my parents (both heavy smokers) has done just as much to my health as eating at Mc'D's has (which I eat at less than I spend time with my folks). Now that I'm an adult, I can walk away when they smoke, and get out of their house. I had no choice as a child.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El-Diablos @ Jan 18 2006, 02:33 AM) [snapback]29260[/snapback][/center]
They should ban cell phones while driving. That is a bad addiction and is very unsafe for other people. Oh did I hit something you most likely do? You get the point? Most likely you going to Mc Donalds will far worse for you than second hand smoke.
[/b]

Funny you should mention that El-D, New York now has a cellphone ban you can only use the cell phone "hands free" while driving.

Oh and the idiots down state in NYC want to tax junk food :p Dammit :angry: price of weed has gone up and now my munchies too :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Jan 17 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]29263[/snapback][/center]
El-D in my state, you can't use cell phones while driving, unless you have a headset. And I can tell you that the years of second-hand smoke I received while living with my parents (both heavy smokers) has done just as much to my health as eating at Mc'D's has (which I eat at less than I spend time with my folks). Now that I'm an adult, I can walk away when they smoke, and get out of their house. I had no choice as a child.
[/b]
O.k. you are playing samatics. I am trying to make a point. Something will always be bad for you that someone else does. And as a child, you have no real choices that is what being a child is about as you are controlled by other people because you are a child. O.k. let's try another example. Booze. ban that cause it is bad for you AND can effect other people too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El-Diablos @ Jan 18 2006, 02:41 AM) [snapback]29267[/snapback][/center]
O.k. you are playing samatics. I am trying to make a point. Something will always be bad for you that someone else does. And as a child, you have no real choices that is what being a child is about as you are controlled by other people because you are a child. O.k. let's try another example. Booze. ban that cause it is bad for you AND can effect other people too.
[/b]

Not samatics I get your point :lol: scary huh? :mellow: yes there will always be someone saying don't do this don't do that this isn't right thats not right yadda yadda :rolleyes:

/grin I know I'm playing samantics. I wouldn't honestly care if they banned booze. I rarely drink, and other than giving other people a good laugh there isn't much point in it. (yeah it's fun, and when I'm not on meds I enjoy a drink now and again)

Yeah I understand your point.

Back