Is Blizzard Spying?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 28 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]134935[/snapback][/center]
What Mr. Gaarawar said... It's in the website... so YES! is it there before you pay for it.

So what are they goink to do with music match and my music tastes? What will they do with that information?
[/b]
Anything they want and theres nothing you can do about it.
/sigh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Magama @ Nov 28 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]134940[/snapback][/center]
Anything they want and theres nothing you can do about it.
/sigh
[/b]
My point is. It doesn't bother me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 28 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]134953[/snapback][/center]
My point is. It doesn't bother me.
[/b]

The point is, it's unethical. Like I said, because you aren't Jewish, the holocaust was ok? I don't think so. It doesn't affect me.

How about this, can you say that you own every single one of those music cd's digitally? Having the real cd doesn't count, the RIAA will still sue you. Guess what? Blizzard now makes a deal with the RIAA and gives that information to them, and now you're getting sued. Guess what, it affects you now.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

/shrug

I guess this is a fundamental difference between Canadians/Europeans and Americans (yes I know you weren't born there kitty, but you live there)... the right to privacy.

If this was done in Canada (or even the EU from what I know), what Blizzard is doing would be illegal. Not collecting the information, but not explicitly letting the customers know, or having a clear and concise privacy statement on what they are collecting exactly, what they use it for, and how they will dispose of it once the person is no longer a client.

And btw kitty, what are they going to do with your music tastes? Sell them to marketing companies along with your address information.

It's a huge issue and to not be concerned about it shocks me. /shrug

Well I have to agree with Artica's post on the first page. This is a thread by an employee of SONY. One who works in their marketing department. SONY thus far is the only corporation to be taken to court for rootkits associated with its music department. It would not surprise me if SOE's MMORPGs also put some sort of rootkit on your computer. SOE is after all a division of SONY. It appears an attempt to make the competition look bad for doing exactly what SONY has been doing for years, which is sad.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mecinia Lu-a @ Nov 28 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]134988[/snapback][/center]
Well I have to agree with Artica's post on the first page. This is a thread by an employee of SONY. One who works in their marketing department. SONY thus far is the only corporation to be taken to court for rootkits associated with its music department. It would not surprise me if SOE's MMORPGs also put some sort of rootkit on your computer. SOE is after all a division of SONY. It appears an attempt to make the competition look bad for doing exactly what SONY has been doing for years, which is sad.....
[/b]

So because of the messenger, the message falls on deaf ears?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 29 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]135026[/snapback][/center]
So because of the messenger, the message falls on deaf ears?
[/b]

Not necessarily. However I don't play WoW so it doesn't really affect me if Blizzard is rootkitting. However given the propensity of folks to violate the EULAs in almost every MMORPG on the market, I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of them have rootkits associated with them. It would be about the only way devs/GMs could trace a petition/request for action.

I must say, I do find it ironic that SONY has praised itself for capturing user data for SWG, yet it's whining that Blizzard is doing it too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Nov 29 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]135029[/snapback][/center]
I must say, I do find it ironic that SONY has praised itself for capturing user data for SWG, yet it's whining that Blizzard is doing it too.
[/b]
Its Sony. The 'not invented here' attitude was, coincidentally enough, invented there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]134976[/snapback][/center]
The point is, it's unethical. Like I said, because you aren't Jewish, the holocaust was ok? I don't think so. It doesn't affect me.

How about this, can you say that you own every single one of those music cd's digitally? Having the real cd doesn't count, the RIAA will still sue you. Guess what? Blizzard now makes a deal with the RIAA and gives that information to them, and now you're getting sued. Guess what, it affects you now.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

/shrug

I guess this is a fundamental difference between Canadians/Europeans and Americans (yes I know you weren't born there kitty, but you live there)... the right to privacy.

If this was done in Canada (or even the EU from what I know), what Blizzard is doing would be illegal. Not collecting the information, but not explicitly letting the customers know, or having a clear and concise privacy statement on what they are collecting exactly, what they use it for, and how they will dispose of it once the person is no longer a client.

And btw kitty, what are they going to do with your music tastes? Sell them to marketing companies along with your address information.

It's a huge issue and to not be concerned about it shocks me. /shrug
[/b]
I do. I download it, and if I really love the music... Even for one song I'll endorse the company/artist by buying their CDs. So they can sue me all they want, I can silence them with the CDs. ;) I have nothing to hide over that fact, and I don't mind Blizzard or the gaming companies checking upon that.

It might be unethical, but they in FACT warn you that they are doing so. So then is your decision. If you don't agree, don't play. As EASY as that.

And besides, dun play wowzers anymore. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 29 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]135035[/snapback][/center]
I do. I download it, and if I really love the music... Even for one song I'll endorse the company/artist by buying their CDs. So they can sue me all they want, I can silence them with the CDs. ;) I have nothing to hide over that fact, and I don't mind Blizzard or the gaming companies checking upon that.

It might be unethical, but they in FACT warn you that they are doing so. So then is your decision. If you don't agree, don't play. As EASY as that.

And besides, dun play wowzers anymore. :p
[/b]

The thing is, they've sued people that have downloaded videos/music files that own the original media. But you see how something like this can get worse and worse and worse...

And if they don't have something that says "I agree to you collecting my personal information for this use" every single time you load the program up (with a don't bother me anymore) it won't hold up in court. Same idea as a login banner.

I did mention Sony's rootkit in an above post.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 29 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]135050[/snapback][/center]
The thing is, they've sued people that have downloaded videos/music files that own the original media. But you see how something like this can get worse and worse and worse...

And if they don't have something that says "I agree to you collecting my personal information for this use" every single time you load the program up (with a don't bother me anymore) it won't hold up in court. Same idea as a login banner.

I did mention Sony's rootkit in an above post.
[/b]
They can sue you if you are sharing, NOT if it's your personal collection and you are listening to it. Because they can't know if you download it or if you rip it from your CDs for easy access on your computer. Most of the people that got sued was because they were sharing.

I still will repeat this, because it seems you don't understand. The customer is well aware that this application contains spyware and AGREE to their terms and play their game. If you are too worried about your privacy, then don't PLAY.

It certainly is unethical to spy on your customers, HOWEVER, they are telling you. Is like when you call to your phone company and a recording tells you that "This call may be monitored or recorded" They don't tell you how they are going to use the information, but you are advised. In other words they let you know. And you still call for information, make claims, and what not. It applies the same on gaming.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Nov 29 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]135069[/snapback][/center]
One quick note kitty:

Someone can sue you for anything - it's if they win or not that counts ;)
[/b]
QFT + even if you are innocent it will cost you money by hiring a lawyer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Magama @ Nov 30 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]135234[/snapback][/center]
QFT + even if you are innocent it will cost you money by hiring a lawyer.
[/b]
Oh noes, have very good friends in high places... ;)

Nah, just kidding, but I do have friends lawyers. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 30 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]135236[/snapback][/center]
Nah, just kidding, but I do have friends lawyers. :p
[/b]

And your point is?

They'll still charge your ass to protect you from the RIAA.

I guarantee you that if the RIAA went after you, they would win.

Yah Blizzard tells you, in paragraph 5, section 2, page 8 of a 20 page EULA that isn't enforceable. If you can consider telling people that.

Having it buried in a sub-section of a EULA that doesn't even state what they are doing with the information, what exactly they're collecting, etc. is really communicating to the individual at all.

You still aren't getting my point.

Blizzard: *whispering in really tiny font* We're collecting information about you. But it's nothing serious. Trust us. *wink wink*

Having a non-caring attitude is stupid. It is going to affect you one day because there are way to many people with that same attitude.

People need to QQ. If you don't like what Blizzard is doing, don't play the game. If you don't play the game, don't worry about it.

That is a strange choice of words

its pretty circular what you are saying.......

also if you only recently realised what they might be doing with your details you should just quit and not worry about it? why should blizzard care about what people who arent customers think? etc etc

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 30 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]135264[/snapback][/center]
And your point is?

They'll still charge your ass to protect you from the RIAA.

I guarantee you that if the RIAA went after you, they would win.

Yah Blizzard tells you, in paragraph 5, section 2, page 8 of a 20 page EULA that isn't enforceable. If you can consider telling people that.

Having it buried in a sub-section of a EULA that doesn't even state what they are doing with the information, what exactly they're collecting, etc. is really communicating to the individual at all.

You still aren't getting my point.

Blizzard: *whispering in really tiny font* We're collecting information about you. But it's nothing serious. Trust us. *wink wink*

Having a non-caring attitude is stupid. It is going to affect you one day because there are way to many people with that same attitude.
[/b]
Wrong fish boy.
Ya can either believe me or not. ^_^

I asked my lawyer friend on that fact. RIAA will only sue you when they have proof of what you are doing. They only go after the BIG fish (no offense *giggle*) those people that are sharing thousands & thousands of songs over the internet that live in US soil. But if you are listening to music of MP3s that most likely are yours, there is no penalty on that.

Back