Is Blizzard Spying?

BananaMan

Is Blizzard Spying?

By: William Jackson
GiN Editor At Large

In the cat-and-mouse game between online game designers and would-be cheaters, rootkits are emerging as powerful monitoring tools to ensure that players are not playing fast and loose with the rules.

But many gamers do not know that when they sign up to play in an online role-playing game they might be giving the publisher broad access to data on their hard drives.

“They usually are not aware of what the companies are doing to try to defeat cheaters,” said Gary McGraw, CTO of Cigital Inc. “That’s news to them.”

McGraw and Greg Hoglund, CEO of HBGary Inc., say it is bad news. They are raising concerns about the technology in a new book.

“The game companies are defending themselves in ways that aren’t cool,” McGraw warned.

The book, Exploiting Online Games, is scheduled for publication in the summer or fall of 2007 by Addison-Wesley Professional. The authors announced immediate availability of a PDF introduction to the book, Cheating Online Games, at the recent Black Hat Briefings in Las Vegas. They also released a tool for monitoring the rootkit used by Blizzard Entertainment to monitor players of its popular World of Warcraft.

The PDF Shortcut (available online for $9.99 at www.awprofessional.com/title/0321460723) focuses on World of Warcraft, but the book will take a broader look at the technology and issues in online cheating and the countermeasures being taken by companies.

“It’s surprising just how sophisticated the monitoring and cheating have become,” McGraw said.

The book includes details of how some cheating is done. McGraw said that disclosing these details is a concern, but said the cheaters already know the techniques.

“We’re going to be describing things that are well known to some, but not well-enough known to others,” he said.

Cyber defense always is something of an arms race, and in the current race, the big bomb is the rootkit. Hoglund discovered the Warden in World of Warcraft last year.

A rootkit is code running so deep in a computer’s operating system that it is not easily detected or evaded. It can be used by a hacker to hide malicious activity on a compromised computer. In the case of World of Warcraft, users agree in the small print of the end user license agreement to allow installation of a rootkit that runs spyware called the Warden on the client PC.

The purpose is to keep an eye out for forbidden scripts or macros that could let the player cheat the game. This is a legitimate concern, McGraw said, “and it works pretty well.”

But the Warden also reads the window text and title bar of every window open on the PC, scans all open processes, and checks out the e-mail client and URLs being visited. It reports all of this back to Blizzard Entertainment. The company says it has no intention of misusing this data, but under the terms of the license agreement there are no restrictions on how it can be used.

“We do not trust them,” the authors say.

Game developers are resorting to high technology to target cheaters because the stakes are high, for both companies and players. World of Warcraft alone, probably the most popular massively multiplayer online role playing game, has about 6 million users who have paid $30 for the client software and pay another $14 a month for access to the game servers.

These games have spawned online economies that spill over into the real world with the buying and selling of virtual goods and currencies. In 2005 an estimated $600 million in hard money was exchanged for online assets, McGraw and Hoglund said. There are professional currency traders and the Web site GameUSD.com tracks exchange rates for gaming gelt.

Unfair manipulation of online assets date back to the earliest online games. Ultima Online from Electronic Arts, one of the first widely popular multiplayer role-playing games, suffered a currency crisis in 1997 when players found a flaw in the program that allowed duplication on of goods and gold.

So there is a legitimate interest in policing the gameworlds. But, “where does such a countermeasure cross the line between legitimate copy protection and invasion of privacy?” McGraw and Hoglund ask.

McGraw, who was a philosophy major in school, admits the line can be vague. But the authors maintain that in the case World of Warcraft’s Warden, that line has been crossed.

“This is a clear invasion of privacy,” they said. “What Blizzard is doing in the name of security is unacceptable and needs to stop.”

There is little a player can do to stop Blizzard’s Warden, but there are ways to watch the watcher.

“We wrote a tool called the Governor that keeps track of what the Warden does,” McGraw said.

The Governor and accompanying libraries can be downloaded from www.rootkit.com/vault/hoglund/Governor.zip.

Source: Game Industry.com

There were some articles about this about a year ago. Warden is only active when WoW application is active. So at that moment you should deactivate or close your personal stuff so Warden doesn't see it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 27 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]134818[/snapback][/center]
There were some articles about this about a year ago. Warden is only active when WoW application is active. So at that moment you should deactivate or close your personal stuff so Warden doesn't see it.
[/b]

that makes too much sense, though. Instead, lets not be careful what we have running at the same time, and bitch about Blizzard knowing what we're doing. I dont cheat and I dont have anything to hide, so it doesnt bother me.

People are morons

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lpb8733 @ Nov 27 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]134847[/snapback][/center]
that makes too much sense, though. Instead, lets not be careful what we have running at the same time, and bitch about Blizzard knowing what we're doing. I dont cheat and I dont have anything to hide, so it doesnt bother me.

People are morons
[/b]
When I played, I only had music match opened at the same time... *giggle*

this is old news from a known cheat programmer crying because he can't make a few bucks from his programs anymore

I'm sure this is from Bananaman the SOE Employee of the month... Not Bananaman the Wanderhomie. ^_^

I don't think the attitude of "if you don't have anything to hide, why worry" is all that applicable here.

It's spying on you plain and simple.

Not as unethical as a certain company and their root kit, however it's bad just the same.

Ironically, sony's root kit allows you to "glide" without being caught by blizzard's warden.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]134904[/snapback][/center]
I don't think the attitude of "if you don't have anything to hide, why worry" is all that applicable here.

It's spying on you plain and simple.

Not as unethical as a certain company and their root kit, however it's bad just the same.

Ironically, sony's root kit allows you to "glide" without being caught by blizzard's warden.
[/b]
It does apply. Some people don't care about the warden, even though they know about it.

Because people don't care doesn't mean it's right to do.

There are ways around it for people who enjoy their right to privacy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]134911[/snapback][/center]
Because people don't care doesn't mean it's right to do.

There are ways around it for people who enjoy their right to privacy.
[/b]
Yeah, you don't run anything personal while you play. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 28 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]134912[/snapback][/center]
Yeah, you don't run anything personal while you play. ;)
[/b]

I wished it was that simple Kitty, but during a long flight you might alt-tab and browse the web for a bit, check your e-mail, etc...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]134915[/snapback][/center]
I wished it was that simple Kitty, but during a long flight you might alt-tab and browse the web for a bit, check your e-mail, etc...
[/b]
In my case I have another puter to do that. ;)

I just use my old compy for websurfing and my new one for games, keeps things simple. I don't mind that they go to those lengths to keep cheaters from cheating.

I think peoples' problems with it really stem from their concerns about blizzard's intent. If you believe they're just trying to keep things fair, it's not really an issue. If you think they're going to use the program to go through your emails and go through your dirty laundry, well that's another story I guess.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 28 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]134917[/snapback][/center]
In my case I have another puter to do that. ;)
[/b]

AFAIK you aren't jewish, so does that mean the holocaust was ok? (very very extreme example) :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tavasha @ Nov 28 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]134918[/snapback][/center]
I just use my old compy for websurfing and my new one for games, keeps things simple. I don't mind that they go to those lengths to keep cheaters from cheating.

I think peoples' problems with it really stem from their concerns about blizzard's intent. If you believe they're just trying to keep things fair, it's not really an issue. If you think they're going to use the program to go through your emails and go through your dirty laundry, well that's another story I guess.
[/b]

It's a bit more than that but right now the licensing agreement allows blizzard to do whatever they want with the information they get.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]134919[/snapback][/center]
AFAIK you aren't jewish, so does that mean the holocaust was ok? (very very extreme example) :p
It's a bit more than that but right now the licensing agreement allows blizzard to do whatever they want with the information they get.
[/b]
There is a disclaimer before you even pay for the game, and then they show it to you each time it changes. You DO AGREE to their terms... So what's the big fuss about it. You don't like their terms, Don't play... as easy as that.

The disclaimer is provided to you after you buy the game kitty, not before. You pay for the packaged game install it, and then you see it. In fact I think you need an active account to read the ToU.

Do you want them collecting information from your personal computer and having complete freedom to do what they want with it? Right now it's process names, window names, etc... what about in a year from now? /shrug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]134923[/snapback][/center]
The disclaimer is provided to you after you buy the game kitty, not before. You pay for the packaged game install it, and then you see it. In fact I think you need an active account to read the ToU.

Do you want them collecting information from your personal computer and having complete freedom to do what they want with it? Right now it's process names, window names, etc... what about in a year from now? /shrug
[/b]

Actually, most online games have their terms listed on their web site. If you're really that anal about what they have access to, then you would look for that before you bought the game. Otherwise, you obviously weren't that worried about it.

If you don't like it, don't play it still is a valid argument. The problem is, you like it, you just don't like certain parts of it.

Since there's a couple of you on the fallacy of "if you don't like it, don't play it", I don't like it so I've stopped playing it. What happens now with my information that blizzard has? Their ToS doesn't state what they are collecting, using or disclosing.

I'm surprised there are so many of you that support that type of behaviour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Nov 28 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]134927[/snapback][/center]
Since there's a couple of you on the fallacy of "if you don't like it, don't play it", I don't like it so I've stopped playing it. What happens now with my information that blizzard has? Their ToS doesn't state what they are collecting, using or disclosing.

I'm surprised there are so many of you that support that type of behaviour.
[/b]

I support people being aware of their own actions and not blaming others for their stupidity or chosen-blindness to the world around them.

What Mr. Gaarawar said... It's in the website... so YES! is it there before you pay for it.

So what are they goink to do with music match and my music tastes? What will they do with that information?

Back