Where did all the computer games go?

Timi

Apparently in the corner of the store! I went into a GameStop over the weekend, bored and decided to see what games they had. I saw games for X-Box, X-Box 360, PSP, GameCube, PS2, Other hand helds, but couldn't find the computer games.

Store clerk comes up and says, you look lost? I asked where the computer games were, that they use to have a pretty big selection. He just laughed and pointed to this shallow dark corner of the store that has that one light that flickers on and off and said they really don't sell that many computer games so they cleared shelves to make room for console gaming.

I almost cried as they didn't have really any new selections, just a bunch of bargan bin games and some WoW and HL2's. It was a very sad site. :(

GameStop does not sell PC games (except for maybe 10 titles). Honestly, the two biggest PC game retailers are Best Buy and EB Games, and Best Buy carries more titles than EB

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jun 5 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]84546[/snapback][/center]
GameStop does not sell PC games (except for maybe 10 titles). Honestly, the two biggest PC game retailers are Best Buy and EB Games, and Best Buy carries more titles than EB [/b]

Not my Best Buy. They've gotten to where they have less and less of a selection. A couple of years ago they had three isles of games, now its one a 1/4 of that are stuff like math blaster and what not.

EB, litteraly have jammed their computer games onto two shelves that sit on this island type thing in the middle of the store.

Yeah, they did the same here, but it still is a bigger selection than EB, at least here

CompUSA carries 'puter games.

I have noticed this trend lately as well. Seems like the PC is heading in the MMO direction while console is getting everything else. Sad.

Its sad to say but PC gaming is on the decline.......

PC's used to be the place for RTS, FPS and MMORPG and nothing else could do it better. Now (despite my personal opinion that console FPSs will ever be as good as console FPS) consoles are getting the big name FPSs right along side the release of the pc versions.

The only genre left that the PC is doing above and beyond consoles is the MMORPG. You can say RTS as well, which is true, but theres not enough people buying RTSs to maintain the genre as a growing gaming niche.

Console's are the demise of solid, hard core, pc gaming.....again despite my personal opinion that pc gaming offers a level above and beyond anything that is released for a console (in most cases)

I felt bad. Pretty much the way the section was treated, it should have had a curtain and big neon sign that said Adults Only XXX!

There's a few gamestops near me, and one has almost no pc games, I think they're all behind the counter in a rack inside their glass case thingy. The one in the mall, however, has about 1/5 of the wallspace for games, and they're almost all shelved sideways, so they really do have quite a big selection crammed in there. On the floor under the racks they also have all the old cheapo games which are fun to look through. So I usually check there. The EB at the other end of the mall is about the same, maybe a little less. Although neither of those really beat fry's, although best buy has a lot too, but I won't shop there after the debacle with my phone.

The gamestop here, has no PC games at all. I have to go to CompUSA o Best Buy... Even Target or Walmart sometimes.

Even if the store carries PC games the staff want nothing to do with them! :angry:
They have no idea how they work or what they are like. So people buy games that won't work on their machines a lot. It's all consoles these days.
In the stores I have worked in I'm the only one interested in sorting the PC stuff.

Still Microsoft are getting back behind Games this year. Halo 2 is going to be a Vista only game too. Which is going to bring more problems than even Half Life 2 online did! :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Azrail @ Jun 6 2006, 04:48 AM) [snapback]84652[/snapback][/center]
Even if the store carries PC games the staff want nothing to do with them! :angry:
They have no idea how they work or what they are like. So people buy games that won't work on their machines a lot. It's all consoles these days.
In the stores I have worked in I'm the only one interested in sorting the PC stuff.

Still Microsoft are getting back behind Games this year. Halo 2 is going to be a Vista only game too. Which is going to bring more problems than even Half Life 2 online did! :rolleyes:
[/b]

You are correct sir PC gaming is on its way out :( funny though......vista is a hog so to even think of running the game throw out your pc and buy a new one. or wait and see what ker can do to tweak it to run :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Jun 5 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]84679[/snapback][/center]
You are correct sir PC gaming is on its way out :( funny though......vista is a hog so to even think of running the game throw out your pc and buy a new one. or wait and see what ker can do to tweak it to run :p
[/b]
Have you seen the requirements to run Vista?
Then plus the requirements to run any other game. My best computer can't do it and I'm a computer geek. Imagine what the normal folk will have to do in a near future. Those folk with powerful computers are just a few. Most people own older computers, 2+ years.

Note: Normal folk, refering to those not too much into the computer world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Jun 6 2006, 05:34 AM) [snapback]84682[/snapback][/center]
Then plus the requirements to run any other game. My best computer can't do it and I'm a computer geek. Imagine what the normal folk will have to do in a near future. Those folk with powerful computers are just a few. Most people own older computers, 2+ years.

[/b]

Yeah i have seen it SICK I TELL YOU SICK! but the hiden beauty of it is you only need a power computer to run the complete thing. Vista will be released in various formats one style for home one for business one for servers etc. depending on the version of the OS the hardware might not be that taxing. I just got a copy of vista beta 2 i have been scrounging for a laptop powerful enough to run it in a live production environment.....we shall see :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Jun 5 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]84684[/snapback][/center]
Yeah i have seen it SICK I TELL YOU SICK! but the hiden beauty of it is you only need a power computer to run the complete thing. Vista will be released in various formats one style for home one for business one for servers etc. depending on the version of the OS the hardware might not be that taxing. I just got a copy of vista beta 2 i have been scrounging for a laptop powerful enough to run it in a live production environment.....we shall see :)
[/b]
We got the Beta 2 too. But there is no computer (PC), in the company that can run it. Most of the PCs are E-machines for the journalists and sales people. They only need a fast word processor and that's it. The designers work on Macs (G5s), those certainly could run it if it was compatible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Jun 5 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]84682[/snapback][/center]

[/b]
I've got all this to deal with. The customers around here are running on basic Dell or E-Machine PCs. Some still have Tiny Pc crap and many on Windows ME! Yesterday I guy needed help that didn't even know how to BROWSE to Program Files!! :eek: <_<
I have no idea I'm going to sell Vista to people who have sod all clue as to whats in their machine. :angry:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Azrail @ Jun 5 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]84708[/snapback][/center]
I've got all this to deal with. The customers around here are running on basic Dell or E-Machine PCs. Some still have Tiny Pc crap and many on Windows ME! Yesterday I guy needed help that didn't even know how to BROWSE to Program Files!! :eek: <_<
I have no idea I'm going to sell Vista to people who have sod all clue as to whats in their machine. :angry:
[/b]
I have no idea what I have on my machine, :lol: But that's another problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Jun 5 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]84682[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

BTW, the requirements are outlined here: http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Set+your+sys...?tag=html.alert

The 40GB HD isn't too bad, but the 1GB RAM, and 128MB Video memory is a bit much. Folks are gonna have to spend a solid grand to get machines to run this bloated crap.

Back