What would you eat?

Tiveria

Sheeptastic!
If you found out you possibly have diabetes?

Would you do a binge and eat every sugar food you know you'd never be able to eat?

Would you go on a diabetic diet just in case?

What would you do a day or so before finding out?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Feb 22 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]49048[/snapback][/center]

Would you do a binge and eat every sugar food you know you'd never be able to eat?

[/b]

Be very careful hun, you do not want to go into shock. I wouldnt binge, I would start looking for less sugary foods. Basicly take care of yourself, even if its a mild case(type 1) it could kill you.

i dunno what id do since I'm not even sure what diabetics have to eat

actually i would eat poop and lots of it

i'd play it safe, my father has diabetes, its not a very cool thing to mess around with.

my brother has juvie diabetes. scared the shit outta me when my dad called me to give the news. i still eat normally

I would live the way I normally do until I know exactly what is on the go.

and type 2 diabetes( I think ) can sometimes be controlled through diet.

If its a GP doing the tests, demand a referral to a nutritionist if the results come back positive. And don't freak out. Been type-1 for 27 years myself. Ain't the easiest ride on record, but once you get over yourself, doing what you need to isn't all that hard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Feb 23 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]49048[/snapback][/center]

[/b]
My best buddy has diabetees (Jhon Brais) and he doesn't always follow his diet, a few years ago he went into a sugar coma and scared the shit out of me. So if I were you I'd follow a diet, its not fair to your friends and family to worry about you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Feb 23 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]49048[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

First off congrats on the 4k post!

2nd, need to send you a PM...WW had some comments for you.

Okay first off - I haven't found out that I have diabetes. My results come back today or tomorrow. I just think I may have more of a risk and a urinalysis came back with sugar in it. (from what I've read that's unusual and it's a sign the body is dumping sugar - not a good one)

I'm not really binging. Okay I bought a box of twinkies, but I didn't sit down and eat them all at once. I'm eating the same as I normally do. It's really hard though thinking about the stuff I'd miss. I mean. I'm addicted to food, and if I do have Diabetes I'd change my lifestyle as I don't want to go blind, nor do I want to die. That's a hard combo to deal with.

I sincerely hope it's not Type 1 Rankin, as I've been reading, and that is some scary stuff. From the things I've heard about you, you sincerely make me more amazed of you each and every day. /tiphat

And yeah, I'm going to ask to speak with a nutrionist. I'll buy a lot of books. I'll do more research on the net. I'm stubborn and can direct that towards almost anything.

And Fluffy - I didn't even realize this was 4k. LMAO. That's an odd 4k post.
I thought she would. Was sad not to see a hi from her already in my inbox. ;)

Rather than subject you to any number of diabetic rants and "Atkins? Are you fucking HIGH?!" discussions, I'll just hope your results come up clean. Personally, I'd much rather *be* type-1 than 2. I can eat what I want, so long as I know what it "costs" in units of insulin. (Figuring THAT out isn't as simple as reading a book though, that takes some serious work.) Getting over the needle thing? Easy enough when you realize you a) get over it RIGHT NOW, or B) die. :) Not a tough call there.

My grandmother lost a leg to diabetes, and my mom lives with it (controled by diet) everyday. I had it with my 3rd pregnancy, the gestational type. It went away after I gave birth thank god. The chances of me getting it now is greater, with it being in my family. But if I stay at my correct weight with excerise and eating good, I should be good to go.

And Tiv you would be suprised at what you can eat. Instead of 3 meals of day you need about 5. And if you do have it you will get all the information you need including menus, and charts, which helped me alot. Another thing if you do have it, something I learned from my mom not the dr, is if your blood sugars are too high, exercising gets them down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rankin @ Feb 23 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]49316[/snapback][/center]
Rather than subject you to any number of diabetic rants and "Atkins? Are you fucking HIGH?!" discussions, I'll just hope your results come up clean. Personally, I'd much rather *be* type-1 than 2. I can eat what I want, so long as I know what it "costs" in units of insulin. (Figuring THAT out isn't as simple as reading a book though, that takes some serious work.) Getting over the needle thing? Easy enough when you realize you a) get over it RIGHT NOW, or B) die. :) Not a tough call there.
[/b]

Please don't tell me I'm going on Atkins. I'd scream. I could live with South Beach - But ATKINS? I mean that stuff is INSANE. And I mean because of it's health (lack-of) value. I'll talk more if it's positive with you Rankin cuz mostly I've heard so and so has it. I don't want to talk to my in-laws about it. And MOST of my family doesn't have it. It's not the needle thing itself. Do you have to inject into veins? That's what I'm worried about. I had two of the best plobotomists trying to find blood - never mind ME trying to find it.

one of my best friends is diabetic. Her insulin injector is tiny and she injects into the skin of her belly ( that is she grabs a little bit of skin and the little injector thing and hey presto inject. The needles are TINY and usually you inject either some where on the thigh or the belly. It's getting your sugars measured and under control so that you can dose the insulin properly that takes work.
she ate anything and everything she just watched what she was doing. Measured her blood sugar and followed the instructions of her doctor.
She is happy, healthy and a brilliant artist.

THe not knowing is the most frightening of all I think and you will freak yourself out thinking about it.
I never heard of a diabetic being placed on the atkins diet which is a stupid diet actually all fad diets are stupid. eating in moderastion and making healthy choices is a much better diet. This is comingfromsomeone who used to starve herself to be thin and deals with a hypoglycemic husband ( he has to eat because he gets low blood sugar )

There is nothing you can do till you get your results, freaking out and binging on what ever won't helpand in the end it won't do you any good either.

:)

Merly's right on the money with the injections. Its just sub-cutaneous, pinch an inch or two and you're good to go into that. Belly's easiest to get to, you can also do the backs of your arms, top of your thighs, or your butt if you can twist that much without killing yourself.

No diabetic is ever placed on the Atkins diet. What Atkins does is basically fool your pancreas into thinking it *is* diabetic. Its a fucked up diet, and I /flail at anyone I learn wants to try it cause its dangerous as hell long-term. But that's a rant for another day.

Type 1's inject insulin, cause our pancreases no longer produce insulin at all. Type 2's are able to control it with diet or oral drugs, because their pancreases still *work*, just in a diminished capacity.

Hit me over the head when you know more, we can talk shop then. And quit freaking out in the meantime :) Stressing over a test result you can't control is wasted energy. I know not knowing is the skeery bit, just keep on keepin' on as you are until you hear different is all I'm saying. :) And don't worry about "giving things up" either. Moderation is the key if that comes back positive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rankin @ Feb 23 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]49470[/snapback][/center]
Merly's right on the money with the injections. Its just sub-cutaneous, pinch an inch or two and you're good to go into that. Belly's easiest to get to, you can also do the backs of your arms, top of your thighs, or your butt if you can twist that much without killing yourself.

No diabetic is ever placed on the Atkins diet. What Atkins does is basically fool your pancreas into thinking it *is* diabetic. Its a fucked up diet, and I /flail at anyone I learn wants to try it cause its dangerous as hell long-term. But that's a rant for another day.

Type 1's inject insulin, cause our pancreases no longer produce insulin at all. Type 2's are able to control it with diet or oral drugs, because their pancreases still *work*, just in a diminished capacity.

Hit me over the head when you know more, we can talk shop then. And quit freaking out in the meantime :) Stressing over a test result you can't control is wasted energy. I know not knowing is the skeery bit, just keep on keepin' on as you are until you hear different is all I'm saying. :) And don't worry about "giving things up" either. Moderation is the key if that comes back positive.
[/b]

Well I'll have to hit you up tonight or tomorrow. And honestly when I created this thread, I wasn't stressed out over it. Was more like - I wonder if anyone ever thought about that before. Now. Well I'm calmer than I was five minutes ago. But I'm still shaky.

If you need to make a lifestyle change, there's no time like right now to do it. Going off on one last sugar bender is a bad idea.

Back