Top 10 players of all time!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rankin @ Jan 27 2006, 03:47 AM) [snapback]35105[/snapback][/center]
If only I had people like this to talk shop with about professional cycling...
[/b]

Lance is on drugs, and Ulrich is actually an alien :)

j/k j/k j/k

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 26 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]35094[/snapback][/center]
Unfortuently when you take Emmitt's team and overall stats into consideration he just does not compare to Sanders. He's got the rushing title to his name until LT takes it away from him.[/b]

Again, you make solid points, but this is where I offer an alternate perspective.
Stats are important, but they don't tell the whole story.
Consider:
Does it matter that Barry played on a team that i wouldgenereously term as moderately successful while Emmitt spent many years on a winning team?

Not in terms of how their ability contributed to that, 'cause you can't pin winning and losing on one guy....
What I mean is, if Barry is playing in games where his team is often behind (losing) late in games...does this lend to his ability to gain rushing yards in "garbage time"?
Does Emmitts team being ahead late in games lend to him to kinda crashing into the pile to kill clock affect his potential stats?

I don't know the answer, and I'm not saying that that's the diffreence between Barry and Emmitts stats, to do so would be ridiculous. But does it have an impact? It's things like this that make these comparsions difficult sometimes.

And you know what? I guarrantee you, you give BOTh men the choice to either be regarded as the best of all time, OR to be considered amongst the greats, but get three Superbowl rings....and its a no-brainer...so even if I can't convince anyone that Emmitt is the guy...I'm sure he's fine with it. :D
I guess it just comes down to how I remember Emmitt in the big games, the playoffs and the Superbowls...the guy was straight up nails.
Fuck he played an entire half vs. the Giants w/ a separated shoulder cause the Cowboys needed that game to win the division.....most gutsy performance I've ever seen, fuck Shilling and his bleeding ankle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 26 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]35094[/snapback][/center]
Yeah, Manning/Marino....well, I am not a fan of Marino in the least, he is a bit of an arrogant jerk. However, the poor man had absolutely NOTHING around him for years. Fuck Marino got his team to the super bowl in his 2nd bloody season. Not to mention in the few playoff games Marino played in he almost always shined. Manning on the other hand, has yet to have a "quality" playoff game despite all of the tools around him. Though Manning has copied Marino's signature "blame the teammates" speech down pat. :(
[/b]

A-fucking-men brother! Gotta tell ya, I think we'll get along just fine! :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rankin @ Jan 26 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]35105[/snapback][/center]
If only I had people like this to talk shop with about professional cycling...
[/b]

I sympathize man :D , and while I like all sports I'm way too hardcore about football. It's an illness, therapy hasn't helped. Guess thats why I'm posting so much here, nice to see other football fans that know wtf they are talking about.

You know those guys that get all painted up and go to the games and get mental? The kind you tap your buddy on the shoulder and say "Look at that guy, he's fuckin nuts"?

Well I'm the guy that those guys think is nuts! :lol:

Seriously though, my cycling knowledge is somewhat limited. I will say that Lance HAS to be dirty man...EPO, Balco custom drugs, I dunno...but what he's done just can't be legit. Besides there's far too many people that have come come forward and pointed fingers.....I know a few other cyclists but....Curt Hartnett ftw! lol, the only Canadian cyclist I know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Micky Bulvaar @ Jan 27 2006, 04:24 AM) [snapback]35132[/snapback][/center]
Again, you make solid points, but this is where I offer an alternate perspective.
Stats are important, but they don't tell the whole story.
Consider:
Does it matter that Barry played on a team that i wouldgenereously term as moderately successful while Emmitt spent many years on a winning team?

Not in terms of how their ability contributed to that, 'cause you can't pin winning and losing on one guy....
What I mean is, if Barry is playing in games where his team is often behind (losing) late in games...does this lend to his ability to gain rushing yards in "garbage time"?
Does Emmitts team being ahead late in games lend to him to kinda crashing into the pile to kill clock affect his potential stats?

I don't know the answer, and I'm not saying that that's the diffreence between Barry and Emmitts stats, to do so would be ridiculous. But does it have an impact? It's things like this that make these comparsions difficult sometimes.

And you know what? I guarrantee you, you give BOTh men the choice to either be regarded as the best of all time, OR to be considered amongst the greats, but get three Superbowl rings....and its a no-brainer...so even if I can't convince anyone that Emmitt is the guy...I'm sure he's fine with it. :D
I guess it just comes down to how I remember Emmitt in the big games, the playoffs and the Superbowls...the guy was straight up nails.
Fuck he played an entire half vs. the Giants w/ a separated shoulder cause the Cowboys needed that game to win the division.....most gutsy performance I've ever seen, fuck Shilling and his bleeding ankle.
[/b]

Yeah, but when a team is behind generally they throw the ball, don't they? Taking even more carries and yards away from Barry. You right that stats don't make the man great, and I think Sanders would have given his entire career for those 3 super bowl years Emmitt got to enjoy. However, from what we have to compare the two (besides are own memories) objective stat anaylsis is all we got.

I remember when the Lions were playing the Jets in the last game of the regular season and a wild card spot was up for both teams, this was the same year Sanders was threatning to get 2k yards for the season. He was impossible to stop, got something like 230 yards that game, Lions win easily, and he gets his 2k yards. Sanders was huge in the very limited big games he played in. I would have paid real money to see him play in a Super Bowl game once.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Micky Bulvaar @ Jan 27 2006, 04:24 AM) [snapback]35132[/snapback][/center]
I sympathize man :D , and while I like all sports I'm way too hardcore about football. It's an illness, therapy hasn't helped. Guess thats why I'm posting so much here, nice to see other football fans that know wtf they are talking about.

You know those guys that get all painted up and go to the games and get mental? The kind you tap your buddy on the shoulder and say "Look at that guy, he's fuckin nuts"?

Well I'm the guy that those guys think is nuts! :lol:

Seriously though, my cycling knowledge is somewhat limited. I will say that Lance HAS to be dirty man...EPO, Balco custom drugs, I dunno...but what he's done just can't be legit. Besides there's far too many people that have come come forward and pointed fingers.....I know a few other cyclists but....Curt Hartnett ftw! lol, the only Canadian cyclist I know.
[/b]

It's all good, I'm a huge fan of sports/competiton as well, and football could be classified as an illness for me too. :lol:

As for Lance, pimp is nailing a rock star, cut the man some slack :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 26 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]35149[/snapback][/center]
Yeah, but when a team is behind generally they throw the ball, don't they? Taking even more carries and yards away from Barry. You right that stats don't make the man great, and I think Sanders would have given his entire career for those 3 super bowl years Emmitt got to enjoy. However, from what we have to compare the two (besides are own memories) objective stat anaylsis is all we got.[/b]

Oh absolutely, it's gonna take some carries away...but with barry in the backfield, you're not gonna abandon the run entirely....and when he does run, the defense is likely to be vulnerable to a nice run...they'll gladly surrender 5-10 yards to eat clock. But your point is well taken.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 26 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]35149[/snapback][/center]
I remember when the Lions were playing the Jets in the last game of the regular season and a wild card spot was up for both teams, this was the same year Sanders was threatning to get 2k yards for the season. He was impossible to stop, got something like 230 yards that game, Lions win easily, and he gets his 2k yards. Sanders was huge in the very limited big games he played in. I would have paid real money to see him play in a Super Bowl game once.[/b]

I remember that game well, and you're right the guy was brilliant, the major blemish on Barry will always be that -1 yrd playoff game. But, you know what I've done far too much bashing of one of the best (if not THE best) RB ever. So I'm gonna stfu with the Barry hating, the man was gold.

It's all good, I'm a huge fan of sports/competiton as well, and football could be classified as an illness for me too. :lol:

As for Lance, pimp is nailing a rock star, cut the man some slack :lol:
[/b]
Aye, the man beat cancer is is bangin Sheryl Crowe, wtf he care what I think.../props to Lance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Micky Bulvaar @ Jan 27 2006, 02:14 AM) [snapback]35080[/snapback][/center]
/agree

Barry was amazing. A guy his size shouldn't have been able to do what he did....thing is his talent made his size almot irrelevant as no one could ever get a hard shot on him, he was just too elusive.

The amazing thing about Jim Brown is, as good as he was, he freaking retired at 29 years old!
Guy was in his freaking prime when he retired.

And the sick stats he put up, he put em up in 12 games a season, not the 16 the modern guys play.

One guy I always mention when talking about the all-time greats is Bo Jackson.
I am fully aware the guy didn't play long enough to merit consideration as the greatest...but his freakish talent and what he DID accomplish in his short time makes you wonder what might have been.

He's still the only player in NFL history to have 3 TD runs of over 80 yrds...and he only played 4 years.
He was a threat to score every single time he touched the ball.
A guy his size is just not supposed to be able to run as fast as he did.....he still holds the record for the fastest time ever recorded at the scouting combine.....Bo was one sick freak.
[/b]
True, another name you can add to the didn't play long but was amazing was Brian Piccolo. He died young but the few years he did play he started over a fairly famous back... Gale Sayers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LilHammie @ Jan 26 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]35163[/snapback][/center]
True, another name you can add to the didn't play long but was amazing was Brian Piccolo. He died young but the few years he did play he started over a fairly famous back... Gale Sayers.
[/b]

Good call, Gayle was on my list on page 1 of all time greats, and you're right Piccolo was ahead of him.
Besides, Brians' Song is a brilliant movie.

You know theres all kinds of other guys that deserve mention but I never saw play, or played many moons ago:

Red Grange, Jim Thorpe, Doak Walker...so many great players.

How many of you know who Bobby Mitchell is? When he played with the Browns, he was a RB and actually had better stats than Jim Brown, and alot of people with the Browns thought he was a better RB than Jim Brown! (he has a better per carry average than Jim Brown by the way)
The guy was so good, they moved him to WR so they could get him on the field...guy had never played WR in his life.

They traded him to Washington...the owner at the time Jack Kent Cooke was a bigot and swore he'd resist integration.
Mitchell became the first black player on the 'Skins...the last team to break the color barrier.
Under these difficult circumstances the guy absolutely tore it up as a WR...an amazing story...one of so many in the NFL.... which is why I love it so much.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Micky Bulvaar @ Jan 27 2006, 05:32 AM) [snapback]35206[/snapback][/center]
Good call, Gayle was on my list on page 1 of all time greats, and you're right Piccolo was ahead of him.
Besides, Brians' Song is a brilliant movie.

You know theres all kinds of other guys that deserve mention but I never saw play, or played many moons ago:

Red Grange, Jim Thorpe, Doak Walker...so many great players.

How many of you know who Bobby Mitchell is? When he played with the Browns, he was a RB and actually had better stats than Jim Brown, and alot of people with the Browns thought he was a better RB than Jim Brown! (he has a better per carry average than Jim Brown by the way)
The guy was so good, they moved him to WR so they could get him on the field...guy had never played WR in his life.

They traded him to Washington...the owner at the time Jack Kent Cooke was a bigot and swore he'd resist integration.
Mitchell became the first black player on the 'Skins...the last team to break the color barrier.
Under these difficult circumstances the guy absolutely tore it up as a WR...an amazing story...one of so many in the NFL.... which is why I love it so much.
[/b]
The Browns are my team, so I knew him :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reek @ Jan 21 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]32899[/snapback][/center]
Lol.

Detroit Lions:
1. Barry Sanders
2. There is no one else.
[/b]

reek, that rabbit's like me: you fuck 'em once and never see them again.

Since I love football, but don't have a favorite team, I'll just throw out a great "first team" by position...

QB: Johnny Unitas
RB: Barry Sanders
RB: Walter Payton
WR: Jerry Rice
WR: Art Monk
TE: Shannon Sharpe

DL: Reggie White
DL: Joe Greene
DL: Warren Sapp
DL: Jerome Brown
LB: Lawrence Taylor
LB: Jack Lambert
LB: Mike Singletary
LB: Derrick Brooks
DB: Ronnie Lott
DB: Steve Atwater
DB: Deion Sanders
DB: Dick "Night Train" Lane

There are many players that can be substituted on this list for sure, but they are the best in my eyes...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iman @ Nov 29 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]135114[/snapback][/center]
New York Jets

1. Jonathan Vilma MLB #51

Enough said.
[/b]

Grrrrrrrrr. Are you too young to remember Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko or any other member of the New York Sack Exchange? How bout multiple pro bowler Al Toon? Let's not even get into the days of Joe Namath and the like.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Nov 30 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]135166[/snapback][/center]
Grrrrrrrrr. Are you too young to remember Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko or any other member of the New York Sack Exchange? How bout multiple pro bowler Al Toon? Let's not even get into the days of Joe Namath and the like.
[/b]
Joe Klecko was in Cannonball Run, so he gets my vote.

Okay, my top ten...

Reggie Dunlop
Juan Primo
Tim McCracken
Willie Mays Hayes
Crash Davis
Machine Gun Joe Viterbo
Johnathan E.
The Hanson Brothers
Tanner Boyle
Apollo Creed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stomis @ Nov 30 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]135243[/snapback][/center]
Team NY : Rudy Giuliani

Team San fransico : The gays
[/b]

Fixed.

Back