Lord of the Rings Online

Lord of the Rings Online

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dislike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enia_Aititer @ Dec 6 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]136076[/snapback][/center]
Got myself a beta invite! Well my buddy did but he doesn't want to play so I'm downloading it now. Can't wait to give it a shot :D
[/b]

Boo! Tell him to get a vanguard beta and do that! /pulllll enia!! ^_^

I voted no because I don't really see the point in playing a game based on the war of the ring where there's no pvp. In every game I've ever played, too much of ANYTHING gets boring, and PvE is no exception. I don't want to have nothing to do but pvp(swg) but having it as an option would be nice. That and I'm still sick of lotr from when I saw the uber long 5-ending return of the king in the theater :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tavasha @ Dec 7 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]136122[/snapback][/center]
Boo! Tell him to get a vanguard beta and do that! /pulllll enia!! ^_^

I voted no because I don't really see the point in playing a game based on the war of the ring where there's no pvp. In every game I've ever played, too much of ANYTHING gets boring, and PvE is no exception. I don't want to have nothing to do but pvp(swg) but having it as an option would be nice. That and I'm still sick of lotr from when I saw the uber long 5-ending return of the king in the theater :p
[/b]

From reading the forums, there is a form of PvP in the game, they are calling it PvMP. Not sure on all the specifics but it sounds interesting. Basically, you can choose to play as a monster class, but you cant level them like you would a regular character, I guess you only get to play them in the PvP areas and you can advance them through combat with other players. Haven't had the chance to test that out yet but if it stinks than I don't see much hope for me continuing to play since I fully agree that nonstop PvE would bore me to tears. On the Vanguard thing they sent me a mail saying that if you pre order the game you can get in on the beta so I may hit Gamestop and pre order just to check it out. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cubby @ Dec 7 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]136214[/snapback][/center]
lol if you pre order you can beta thats funny/shifty
[/b]

Well in order to pre order at Gamestop at least you only have to put down like 5 dollars lol, so I figure if the game winds up sucking, I can just save myself the monthly fee and test out the game for 5 dollars :p

You can buy the pre-order cd at Fry's and I think some best buys have it already, it's $10 and comes with some goodies and the beta 5 key.

Well, I'll say that LotRO won't be for everyone, but it's shaping up nicely and it's starting to grow on me...still hard to say if I'd recommend it. Probably to those that fans of the series, to an avid gamer, not so sure it would be a love it or hate it type of thing...right now at least.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Dec 11 2006, 01:48 AM) [snapback]136393[/snapback][/center]
Well, I'll say that LotRO won't be for everyone, but it's shaping up nicely and it's starting to grow on me...still hard to say if I'd recommend it. Probably to those that fans of the series, to an avid gamer, not so sure it would be a love it or hate it type of thing...right now at least.
[/b]

i can agree with that .. i think in the end lotro will find its place in the market as the "mature " mmorpg ... theres not alot of folks in there that i interact with that make me think " ok this guys like 15 " and i know age is jsut a number im really more referring to the way they act and communicate

Oh but it did. Looks like she is one of Turbines in game admins. Her name was spelled slightly off but someone referred to her as Tiggs, so I asked if she was Tiggs from SWG and she said, "The very same".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Dec 11 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]136428[/snapback][/center]
screenshots or it didnt happen!!! [/b]
screenshots or it didnt happen!!!

its tiggs and shes an " advisor " ..she was very helpful in the alpha getting everyone able to work basic ocntrols and what not ...

last time i tried you couldnt take sxreenshots in game ( i mean via some turbine method ) i guess its a violation of the secrecy thingie

The game as a whole is fun to play. The quests are entertaining and the world is fairly large (haven't seen a lot of it yet). I don't like having to purchase skills as you level up (WoWish and I didn't like it there either). I don't mind having to the option to purchase upgrades for it but atleast the base skill should come with lvl (i.e. EQ2).

The one thing I don't like is the character models. They are flat. The armor looks like it is painted on the avatars and gives no real sense of depth, atleast up to lvl 10........may get better later on. This seems to be a recurring theme in Turbine MMO's (Dungeons and Dragons Online had the same flat character models and they stayed that way through release). The city scape and world looks beautiful and why they can't transfer that over to the character models is beyond me.

Just my .02 cents.

I'd like it more if it didn't make my machine cry in an area with more than 5 people in it. Gameplay through 10 hasn't sucked as an elf, though I notice Turbine hasn't got any better idea about what playing the species should be like during this timeframe than we did on Elendor ten years ago. It can't possibly be all about wine, song, and the pull of sailing west, but that's about all the species-specific stuff I've seen so far.

The landscape up in Ered Luin is like Middle-earth in a vice. Things are a little too close together up there, not really sure what its like in other areas of the map, haven't managed to escape yet, but the Lhun river valley really is just miles and miles of miles and miles.

One other thing of irritating note: The Edhellond in the books is located down near Dol Amroth (Gondor). Bust out the big JRRT map, you can see it down under the 'n' in Gondor. How Turbine justifies sticking it in the middle of the Emyn Uial in northwestern Eriador is anyone's guess. Unless I'm just remembering the name wrong. There's quite a bit of Tolkein-like bullshit placenaming going on, just to create game environments for us to cause havoc in and alter.

Smell that? I just love the smell of my own rants in the morning...

Basically been told to piss off on my elf toon that got stuck under Gondamon. There is no help if you get stuck so I was forced to restart a toon. I decided to make a Champion. Class is way overpowered imho. At lvl 10 I was able to solo complete a couple of the epic quests (the ones that say you need a fellowship ..... group....to complete). Something I was unable to do on my Hunter.

The game has a very WoWish feel to it in the hotbars, menus and such but the gameplay is fairly smoothe. I like that fact that you get good xp from quests as it gives you something to do other then midlessly grind out the lvls (you get tons of xp from quests but killing something my lvl nets between 10 and about 28xp per kill.........quests average around 250 to 500 xp and some take only a couple minutes to complete.

All in all the game is shaping up nicely and, although a bit boring at first, the more you play it the more interesting and fun it becomes. I do agree with Rankin though as far as towns and such goes. They are a very short (couple mins or less in most instances) walk away. Feels cluttered and not spread out like they were in the books (walked for days before coming to a town......this takes a min or two). I realize that walking that far would be ridiculous and a waste of time but there are horses you can take for a nominal charge that get you there very fast.

I applied for beta but have yet to get an invite. I have mixed feelings even without playing it. I originally had hoped they would get the rights to middle earth online and do more of a game based on the table top rpg, but things dont alway go the way I hope. :D But I am keeping an eye on this and might play it til Age of Conan comes out or keep it as a side game to AoC.

Upon further reflection:

The Edhellond rant turns out not to be the case (Turbine named their starter-city for the elves 'Edhelion' instead. Mybad.) The world-size rant, however, holds.

Now I'm on to adventures in lag. If you thought Coronet at its height was bad, I give you the hell that is Bree. Way, way worse, lag-wise. Here's hoping they optimize things a bit before release - not that I'm expecting to get much more mileage out of my current gaming rig, just... still. That shit's nasty.

I beta tested it before they went to open stress-test beta and was unimpressed. I've read the trilogy, as well as the Hobbit and the Silmarillion. The biggest problem for me was that I did not feel I was in Middle Earth. This is likely because of the films (which I love) and the Battle for Middle Earth games. These games use the music, faces, voices, personalities, everything... from the films. Turbine does not have license to any of that. So, there already exists a gaming and entertainment market for LOTR, but turbine can't use any of it in their game because they didn't want to pay for the rights.

So because everything is different LOTR-wise from what I've watched/played, I don't feel like it's LOTR. In addition, whether it's true or not, the refusal to include playable evil-races or to obtain licensing rights makes me feel like Turbine is being an elitist publisher/developer. Sacrificing the epic-ness that is Peter Jackson's entertainment LOTR vision for the sake of saving a few bucks.

LOTRO will never be a big player in the MMO market. In refusing to include evil races in a world that is so primed for civil war and pvp (the driving force of online gaming) they cripple and banish themselves to mediocrity in the market, imo.

Back