Lord of the Rings Online

Lord of the Rings Online

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dislike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
perhaps the best compliment i can give for this game is that since alpha one turbine has actually listened to and implemented many changes that the community has suggested

Meh, I won a contest and messed around with beta for maybe 2 hours tops. I found it cool to be in an interactive Lord of the Rings world but It is a bit boring. Nothing really wants to make you keep going unless you are a hardcore lore nerd kind of guy. I say it will be a hit for hardcore LOTR fans but not the average MMO player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Damilkman @ Dec 2 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]135426[/snapback][/center]
Meh, I won a contest and messed around with beta for maybe 2 hours tops. I found it cool to be in an interactive Lord of the Rings world but It is a bit boring. Nothing really wants to make you keep going unless you are a hardcore lore nerd kind of guy. I say it will be a hit for hardcore LOTR fans but not the average MMO player.
[/b]

but the same can be said for any tutorial portion of a game .. i mean you cant really say youve tested swg just by playing the spacestation portion ..theres more to it than what you get there ..tutorials jsut give you basic quests that allow you to figure out the basics of movement combat and character interactions

what i do like about the lotro combat system is that is has some special moves that are only activated in certain circumstances ..for example as a guardian my character has a self buff that increases my block ability .. i also have a special that is only active when i succesfully block an attack ..there are also other specials that activate if that attack hits .. in effect you get to actually watch and plan your combat moves vs mindlessly spamming specials a b and or c

Mixed feelings on it...it does somethings pretty well, but it's too much like any other newer generation MMO, just with LoTR setting.

I played Alpha testing for LOTRO a month or two back.. just recently got the beta invitation in my email.. don't think I'll give it a try.

i played the first stge alpha in august too and it was atrocious this beta is getting alot better ( in fact when i loggedin the other night i had 8400 updates so yes it had been a good while but i wanted to join in since the fullbeta was now in effect )

another thing i do like about it is the npcs even at lvls 5 and below are smart ..for example if they root you they move away from you and go into ranged combat ..if they are close to death they call for help and or run away ..little things like that help a game out alot

ultimatly this is what i forsee for this game ..another game in the WoW model with a lotr skin ( as mentioned above ) but with more of an air for adults or should i at least say sophistication ..since we know adults are like swg jedi eventually we all get there we just dont act like one :p

with the lotr fanbase it could easily hold 300-400k subscriptions ..im just wondering if thats enough for turbine to callit a success

I'd really like to check this game out, applied for Beta but so far nothing. Anyone who got an invite and doesnt want to play is welcome to send it to me :p

What's really going to hurt it the most is the fact that it's PvE only, one faction to play, and limited classes. Like previously said, it'll be a game for the die hard LoTR fan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Dec 2 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]135489[/snapback][/center]
What's really going to hurt it the most is the fact that it's PvE only, one faction to play, and limited classes. Like previously said, it'll be a game for the die hard LoTR fan.
[/b]
Eh, it'll be cool enough to play a new boring game to take a break from all of the old boring games...

no it has pvp at the high ends that was announced jsut b4 the alpha went out ..imo whats relly killing them with the large beta is that they are closing off the non noob areas over the last few dayss so they can pack everyone in one spot for stress tests .. its the non noob areas where you really get the open feel of a mmorpg by that i mean large scale of terrain ..also non noob areas are where you begin the crafting phases as well get homes and start to really influence each others gameplay in the standard mmorpg ways ..cutting these areas off when youve invited the largest segment of folks to give the game a whirl aint too bright ...

I agree, I have a high level Burgular, and he rockz, I've been playing with Tiggs, and others for a long time now, and really starting to love the game.

Well, I gotta admit...the more I play with it the more it grows on me, but I'm not a 100% sold on it just yet.

I've played a bit too. It's an amusing diversion. I think I could get into playing it for a little while.

It's so steeped in Tolkien lore that it may scare off people who've only seen the movies and haven't read the books, though.

It's a decent game and it seems like they have a dev team that's at least somewhat interested in releasing a good product.

Used my word quota for the year. Must return to lurk mode now.

Turbine has yet to deem me worthy of betatesting their baby. If ya ask me, people that have only seen the movies and not read the books HAVE NO BUSINESS PLAYING. :p

you know tbh i was very shocked the other night when some poor person said " ive only read the hobbit not the trilogy but ive seen the movies " and no one jumped their ass .. most folks were just kinda like well the movies arent the books you should really read the books ... it gave me a tad of hope because alot fo folks on their forums are elitest asses that take lotr waaaaay to serious ( like you never would have guessed that )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rankin @ Dec 4 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]135683[/snapback][/center]
Turbine has yet to deem me worthy of betatesting their baby. If ya ask me, people that have only seen the movies and not read the books HAVE NO BUSINESS PLAYING. :p
[/b]

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, maybe a quiz to determine if the person actually read the book(s). you get a prelim invite, conditional that if you pass a book only test then you get to go to Beta, if not your name is dumped and they pick someone else. Interesting...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiergan @ Dec 4 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]135635[/snapback][/center]
I've played a bit too. It's an amusing diversion. I think I could get into playing it for a little while.

It's so steeped in Tolkien lore that it may scare off people who've only seen the movies and haven't read the books, though.

It's a decent game and it seems like they have a dev team that's at least somewhat interested in releasing a good product.

Used my word quota for the year. Must return to lurk mode now.
[/b]

Luckily for you the year is almost over and you can start over again in less than a month. ;)

Damn the NDA...I would love to get into discussion on this and get different opinions. The boards are no good because its one big ass comparison wars with the WoW fanboys and the LoTRO fanboys.

Got myself a beta invite! Well my buddy did but he doesn't want to play so I'm downloading it now. Can't wait to give it a shot :D

if you vote no say why even if its as simple as this is the same as everyother mmorpg imo

Back