is limewire a good program?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Dec 27 2005, 07:04 PM) [snapback]18003[/snapback][/center]
Yeah, its good for downloading music, but youll still get your ass handed to you by lawsuits.
[/b]

I had the priviledge of speaking with a lawyer that represents the RIAA in the Dallas area. What I gather from him was you can download....they dont like it but you can download. The problem lies with when you then make your "stash" available for others to download. So if you download, you are pretty safe, but if you distribute what you have, thats where the rub is. You RECIEVE music all the time on the radio, but its ok because the station distributing the music is paying royalties for the content. If they stopped paying the royalties, they would be in trouble. You wouldnt be held liable for hearing that broadcast. Same goes on the web. You can hear it, but dont give it away or sell it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SynTaXx-Wrath @ Dec 29 2005, 03:05 AM) [snapback]18262[/snapback][/center]
if it has the words "debbie" or "dallas" in them for the love of God down't download them!!!!
[/b]
no lol...the words were like "I, Robot" and "Starwars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ruler-jimbo @ Dec 28 2005, 01:31 PM) [snapback]18330[/snapback][/center]
no lol...the words were like "I, Robot" and "Starwars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" [/b]

lol I sooo can't say what I want to... *reminds self that he is 15*

Ok guys, not to get all high horse on you, but regardless of whether its music, movies, or any other copyrighted material, you are still breaking the law. The fact that you will likely not get caught doesn't change that.

I have no love for the record companies as I think they collude to fix prices. Elliot Spitzer is looking into that as I write this, but that does not give me the right to steal from them.

I use e-mule. Is not a fast program, but it will get the job done.

But yeah, as long as you don't share and don't download like there is no tomorrow. You'll be fine!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Dec 29 2005, 04:52 AM) [snapback]18341[/snapback][/center]

But yeah, as long as you don't share and don't download like there is no tomorrow. You'll be fine!
[/b]
dont programs have a "pay for copyright", IE, you pay them like $10 bucks a month and it is legal asd long as you keep them to yourselves?

from what i heard from the RIAA lawyer....we dont like it we really dont want you to do it, but if you are going to download music thats your thing. but if you distribute it, we have a real problem.

That is from the horses mouth. while they arent gonna go on tv and say YEAH SURE DOWNLOAD IF YOU WANT! they wont come after you for downloading. They tell you publicly not to download because with getting for free, it usually means someone is giving it for free, and they arent getting thier cut of the pie.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shaggz1297 @ Dec 28 2005, 11:21 AM) [snapback]18346[/snapback][/center]
dont programs have a "pay for copyright", IE, you pay them like $10 bucks a month and it is legal asd long as you keep them to yourselves?
[/b]

But still there has to be people sharing so that the network exists. If people don't share then you will have a harder time finding things. My experience with limewire, is that people change then name of the songs and bands so that they can get away with it. The problem is that you don't know what you are downloading. Another problem I had with it, was that many of the songs were edited, or were just half song, or defenitely was a bad recording.

I don't trust Limewire, morpheus, or kazaa (which by the way, they are in the same network). I remember reading an article, that those were under surveilance since they were the mainstream P2P programs. That was right after the fall of Napster. I wouldn't know now, I don't use any of those.

If you want it legal the best way is to go by Music Match or itunes, or one of the large companies doing this. MM has a service of songs that is 45 bucks a year. And itunes is 99 cents a song.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Dec 29 2005, 04:52 AM) [snapback]18341[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

I use e-mule too. But, I usually if a like the artist I prefer to buy the CD :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Dec 28 2005, 02:51 PM) [snapback]18358[/snapback][/center]
But still there has to be people sharing so that the network exists. If people don't share then you will have a harder time finding things. My experience with limewire, is that people change then name of the songs and bands so that they can get away with it. The problem is that you don't know what you are downloading. Another problem I had with it, was that many of the songs were edited, or were just half song, or defenitely was a bad recording.

I don't trust Limewire, morpheus, or kazaa (which by the way, they are in the same network). I remember reading an article, that those were under surveilance since they were the mainstream P2P programs. That was right after the fall of Napster. I wouldn't know now, I don't use any of those.

If you want it legal the best way is to go by Music Match or itunes, or one of the large companies doing this. MM has a service of songs that is 45 bucks a year. And itunes is 99 cents a song.
[/b]

walmart is 88 cents!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Dec 29 2005, 07:18 AM) [snapback]18391[/snapback][/center]
walmart is 88 cents!
[/b]
ill be damned if im gonna pay 99 cents a song. Ill take the risk of arrest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shaggz1297 @ Dec 28 2005, 04:21 PM) [snapback]18394[/snapback][/center]
ill be damned if im gonna pay 99 cents a song. Ill take the risk of arrest
[/b]

Why? Is it REALLY that much? When we were kids, we paid $15 dollars for a album with 10 songs on it. Now you maybe pay $16, but you get like 18 or so songs on most CD's. If we wanted just one song, we'd have to pay almost $2 for it on a single or tape it from the radio. Which, btw, you can still do.

And remember who is saying about paying for it. You know where I'm coming from.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Dec 28 2005, 03:24 PM) [snapback]18396[/snapback][/center]
....or tape it from the radio. Which, btw, you can still do.
[/b]

people spliting hairs lol........taping off the radio and downloading is the same thing: you are capturing data into a storage device. if you all remember the RIAA was pissed and fought tape recording for consumers hard, just as the the motion picture and TV industry did with vcr's. they dont like it, but its tought shit, because they cant stop it.

From what I rememeber Craesh, I didn't hear anything about the RIAA for casette recording. Now VCR's I heard about it - just not radio. I know it's the same thing, but it wasn't treated the same.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Dec 29 2005, 07:24 AM) [snapback]18396[/snapback][/center]
Why? Is it REALLY that much? When we were kids, we paid $15 dollars for a album with 10 songs on it. Now you maybe pay $16, but you get like 18 or so songs on most CD's. If we wanted just one song, we'd have to pay almost $2 for it on a single or tape it from the radio. Which, btw, you can still do.
[/b]
yeah, but i dont want to pay to download 1 song.i want the freedom to download as many damn song as i like for a semi-low monthly fee. I know alot of bands, and like alot, and i would be like oh, my 10th download, well there goes my spending money. but with $17 mth, and unlimited downloads, how can you go wrong?

and i refuse to use itunes, cause that just puts money into the ipod peoples pockets.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Craesh Antares @ Dec 29 2005, 07:29 AM) [snapback]18397[/snapback][/center]
people spliting hairs lol........taping off the radio and downloading is the same thing: you are capturing data into a storage device. if you all remember the RIAA was pissed and fought tape recording for consumers hard, just as the the motion picture and TV industry did with vcr's. they dont like it, but its tought shit, because they cant stop it.
[/b]

But taping off the radio is crappy quality :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Craesh Antares @ Dec 29 2005, 07:29 AM) [snapback]18397[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
my thing is, then why is dual tape vcrs, dvd burners, cd burners, etc legal if they are used for ilegal purposes? same thing with radar detectors, they are illegal to use (in some states. MN included- you are planning to commit a crime with it), but why are they still sold everywhere?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shaggz1297 @ Dec 28 2005, 04:31 PM) [snapback]18399[/snapback][/center]
yeah, but i dont want to pay to download 1 song.i want the freedom to download as many damn song as i like for a semi-low monthly fee. I know alot of bands, and like alot, and i would be like oh, my 10th download, well there goes my spending money. but with $17 mth, and unlimited downloads, how can you go wrong?

and i refuse to use itunes, cause that just puts money into the ipod peoples pockets.
[/b]

I wouldn't do iTunes either...I've never been a Mac girl. give me linux, give me windows, but don't give me Mac.

I'm one of these twisted people that think that paying less than a dollar per song and paying per song, is a good idea for the music industry. The problem with paying a monthly fee for unlimited downloads is because the company then has to split it among the artists they've got contracts with. So if they've 100 customers at $17 a month, but have sold 10,000 songs - those songs are only worth $.20 per song. they are worth more than that!

Now there is a problem with my logic and I'll say it up front. Most companies most likely pay the musicians up front for X # of downloads at a different fee.

I don't think my opinion is normal, or right for the general population. It's just a kind of a thing for me because I was trying to be a classical artist when I was younger. I'm glad I'm not now though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ruler-jimbo @ Dec 28 2005, 04:40 PM) [snapback]18409[/snapback][/center]
maybe this should be in the flame forums :p
[/b]

/giggle

I'm not flaming and neither is Shaggz. We're just chatting as friends. I'd never want to flame him.

Back