Intel's Milestone

zanax

Non-contributing Editor
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 25, 2006 – Intel Corporation today announced it has become the first company to reach an important milestone in the development of 45 nanometer (nm) logic technology. Intel has produced what are believed to be the first fully functional SRAM (Static Random Access Memory) chips using 45nm process technology, its next– generation, high–volume semiconductor manufacturing process.

Achieving this milestone means Intel is on track to manufacture chips with this technology in 2007 using 300mm wafers, and continues the company’s focus on pushing the limits of Moore’s Law, by introducing a new process generation every two years.

Today, Intel leads the industry in volume production of semiconductors using 65nm process technology, with two manufacturing facilities making 65nm chips in Arizona and Oregon and two more coming online this year in Ireland and Oregon.

“Being first to high volume with 65nm process technology and the first with a working 45nm chip highlights Intel’s leadership position in chip technology and manufacturing,” said Bill Holt, vice president, general manger, Intel Technology and Manufacturing Group. “Intel has a long history of translating technology leaps into tangible benefits that people appreciate. Our 45nm technology will provide the foundation for delivering PCs with improved performance–per– watt that will enhance the user experience.”

Intel’s 45nm process technology will allow chips with more than five times less leakage power than those made today. This will improve battery life for mobile devices and increase opportunities for building smaller, more powerful platforms.

The 45nm SRAM chip has more than 1 billion transistors. Though not intended as an Intel product, the SRAM demonstrates technology performance, process yield and chip reliability prior to ramping processors and other logic chips using the 45nm manufacturing process. It is a key first step in the march toward high–volume manufacturing of the world’s most complex devices.

In addition to the manufacturing capabilities of its D1D facility in Oregon, where the initial 45nm development efforts are underway, Intel has announced two high–volume fabs under construction to manufacture chips using the 45nm process technology: Fab 32 in Arizona and Fab 28 in Israel.

Listen to a recorded interview with Intel senior fellow Mark Bohr by clicking the “Manufacturing” channel at http://intel.feedroom.com.

Intel, the world leader in silicon innovation, develops technologies, products and initiatives to continually advance how people work and live. Additional information about Intel is available at www.intel.com/pressroom.

Intel is a trademark or registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zanax @ Jan 30 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]141973[/snapback][/center]
In addition to the manufacturing capabilities of its D1D facility in Oregon, where the initial 45nm development efforts are underway, Intel has announced two high–volume fabs under construction to manufacture chips using the 45nm process technology: Fab 32 in Arizona and Fab 28 in Israel.
[/b]
I'll be working at Fab 32 within a year or so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 30 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]142041[/snapback][/center]
what does all that mean in English?
[/b]
It means I'm hopeful my bonuses are higher next year and the years to come.

SANTA ΚΛΑΡΑ, Καλιφόρνια, 25 του Ιαν. ..2006 - η εταιρία της Intel ανήγγειλε σήμερα ότι έχει γίνει η πρώτη επιχείρηση για να φθάσει σε ένα σημαντικό κύριο σημείο στην ανάπτυξη της τεχνολογίας λογικής 45 nanometer (nm). Η Intel έχει παραγάγει τι θεωρείται τα πρώτα πλήρως λειτουργικά (στατική τυχαία μνήμη πρόσβασης) τσιπ SRAM χρησιμοποιώντας την τεχνολογία διαδικασίας 45nm, επόμενά του - παραγωγή, διαδικασία κατασκευής υψηλών ημιαγωγών. Η επίτευξη αυτού του κύριου σημείου σημαίνει ότι η Intel είναι στη διαδρομή για να κατασκευάσει τα τσιπ με αυτήν την τεχνολογία το 2007 που χρησιμοποιεί τις γκοφρέτες 300mm, και συνεχίζει την εστίαση της επιχείρησης στην ώθηση των ορίων του νόμου Moore, με να εισαγάγει μια νέα γενεά διαδικασίας κάθε δύο έτη. Σήμερα, η Intel οδηγεί τη βιομηχανία στην παραγωγή όγκου των ημιαγωγών χρησιμοποιώντας την τεχνολογία διαδικασίας 65nm, με δύο εγκαταστάσεις κατασκευής που κάνουν τα τσιπ 65nm στην Αριζόνα και το Όρεγκον και τον ερχομό δύο σε απευθείας σύνδεση αυτό το έτος στην Ιρλανδία και το Όρεγκον. "Η ύπαρξη πρώτη στη μεγάλη ποσότητα με την τεχνολογία διαδικασίας 65nm και η πρώτη με ένα λειτουργώντας τσιπ 45nm δίνει έμφαση στη θέση ηγεσίας της Intel στην τεχνολογία και την κατασκευή τσιπ," εν λόγω Bill Holt, τον αντιπρόεδρο, τη γενική φάτνη, την τεχνολογία της Intel και την κατασκευαστική ομάδα. "Η Intel έχει μια μακροχρόνια ιστορία της μετάφρασης των πηδημάτων τεχνολογίας στα απτά οφέλη που οι άνθρωποι εκτιμούν. Η τεχνολογία 45nm μας θα αποτελέσει τη βάση για την παράδοση PCs με βελτιωμένος απόδοση-ανά - Watt που θα ενισχύσουν την εμπειρία χρηστών." Η τεχνολογία διαδικασίας της Intel 45nm θα επιτρέψει τα τσιπ με την περισσότερες από πέντε φορές λιγότερη δύναμη διαρροής από εκείνοι που γίνονται σήμερα. Αυτό θα βελτιώσει τη ζωή μπαταριών για τις κινητές συσκευές και θα αυξήσει τις ευκαιρίες για τις μικρότερες, ισχυρότερες πλατφόρμες. Το τσιπ SRAM 45nm έχει περισσότερες από 1 δισεκατομμύριο κρυσταλλολυχνίες. Εν τούτοις μη προοριζόμενο ως προϊόν της Intel, το SRAM καταδεικνύει την απόδοση τεχνολογίας, την παραγωγή διαδικασίας και την αξιοπιστία τσιπ πριν από οι επεξεργαστές και άλλα τσιπ λογικής χρησιμοποιώντας τη διαδικασία 45nm κατασκευής. Είναι ένα βασικό πρώτο βήμα το Μάρτιο προς υψηλή κατασκευάζω των παγκόσμιων πιό σύνθετων συσκευών. Εκτός από τις ικανότητες κατασκευής D1D της δυνατότητάς της στο Όρεγκον, όπου οι αρχικές προσπάθειες ανάπτυξης 45nm είναι εν εξελίξει, η Intel αν:αγγέλλω την υψηλή ένταση δύο fabs κάτω από την κατασκευή για να κατασκευάσει τα τσιπ χρησιμοποιώντας την τεχνολογία διαδικασίας 45nm: Fab 32 στην Αριζόνα και Fab 28 στο Ισραήλ. Ακούστε μια καταγραμμένη συνέντευξη με την Intel ανώτερος συντροφικός Mark Bohr με τον κρότο του καναλιού "κατασκευήσ" σε http://intel.feedroom.com. Η Intel, ο παγκόσμιος ηγέτης στην καινοτομία πυριτίου, αναπτύσσει τις τεχνολογίες, τα προϊόντα και τις πρωτοβουλίες να προωθήσει συνεχώς πώς οι άνθρωποι εργάζονται και ζουν. Οι πρόσθετες πληροφορίες για την Intel είναι διαθέσιμες σε www.intel.com/$l*pressroom. Η Intel είναι ένα εμπορικό σήμα ή καταχωρημένο εμπορικό σήμα της εταιρίας της Intel ή της υποκατάστημα στις Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες και άλλες χώρες.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Jan 30 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]142063[/snapback][/center]
Just wait till AMD shit all over this.
[/b]
You're going to be waiting a long time.

If I am to believe the propaganda I get fed at work, AMD's recent gains in the market are going to be a thing of the past very soon.

The problem is that Intel lost sight of building the best chips, and just fielded a new product from time to time, while looking for other avenues of profit. AMD started to make some quality stuff and they made some big gains. It's during that time that people started to prefer AMD.

Now things are going to be different (or so I'm told). Intel has sold off most of the other side businesses and have concentrated completely on improving quality and performance of their chips. The recent releases are just the beginning.

Intel has the money, people, and resources to leave AMD in the dust. So like I said, if I'm to believe what they tell us at work, AMD's competitiveness is going to suffer and decline as time goes on.

I just want a single processor that feeds 10ghz processing power. Not this dual and quad core crap. that's "fake" 4+ghz processing power. Multi-core processors are just a way to go around the problem and put all the pain in the ass work on programmers.

To quote the godfather of modern gaming, John Carmack:
Microsoft has made some pretty nice tools that show you what you can make on the Xbox 360 [with the multi-cores] … but the fundamental problem is that it’s still hard to do. If you want to utilize all of that unused performance, it’s going to become more of a risk to you and bring pain and suffering to the programming side. So we’re dealing with it, but it’s an aspect of the landscape that obviously would have been better if we would have been able to get more gigahertz in a processor core. But life didn’t turn out like that, and we have to just take the best advantage with it.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 30 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]142047[/snapback][/center]
ok, now how about translating that article to english?
[/b]

Quickie version:

Smaller technology, better chip density, more processing power per nm, faster single core chips.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 30 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]142087[/snapback][/center]
Quickie version:

Smaller technology, better chip density, more processing power per nm, faster single core chips.
[/b]
He won't get it unless you use bright crayon colored letters.

It's better chips!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djmtott @ Jan 31 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]142088[/snapback][/center]
He won't get it unless you use bright crayon colored letters.

It's better chips!
[/b]

Cute.

Seriously though, do you know what the heat dissipation ratios will be for this new form factor as compared to the current largest single core? I am sure Intel has done initial tests and mathmatical calculations, just wondering what they are guesstimating here.

Oh...also, does this mean Intel will look to get out of the 2, 4, 8, 80 core chip markets? Or is this new stuff for "down the road" (i.e. Sony's 1 million : 1 contrast TV, great prototype, cool to show off, won't get maid for a long time)?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 30 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]142090[/snapback][/center]
Cute.

Seriously though, do you know what the heat dissipation ratios will be for this new form factor as compared to the current largest single core? I am sure Intel has done initial tests and mathmatical calculations, just wondering what they are guesstimating here.

Oh...also, does this mean Intel will look to get out of the 2, 4, 8, 80 core chip markets? Or is this new stuff for "down the road" (i.e. Sony's 1 million : 1 contrast TV, great prototype, cool to show off, won't get maid for a long time)?
[/b]
Not sure about the heat. I'm an equipment technician, minoring in process. I'm not a development engineer.

And like the article said, it's not meant to be an Intel product. But you can bet some money will be coming in because of it somewhere down the line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 30 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]142076[/snapback][/center]
I just want a single processor that feeds 10ghz processing power. Not this dual and quad core crap. that's "fake" 4+ghz processing power. Multi-core processors are just a way to go around the problem and put all the pain in the ass work on programmers.

To quote the godfather of modern gaming, John Carmack:
[/b]
What if ya have two 3.2ghz cores? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Jan 31 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]142144[/snapback][/center]
What if ya have two 3.2ghz cores? :p
[/b]

What if ya have two 320lb. whores? :p

I'm just not a fan of multi-core processors. I know the down right basics as to how they work, but in my head it's still a cheap way around the problem. I think it was a way of saying, "We've finally reached the point where we can't hold true to Moore's Law so lets release Dual Core processors to make it seem like it's compliant to it."

I could be totally wrong, but that's just how my mind is seeing it

Back