Have a question that needs answering?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Oct 8 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]124029[/snapback][/center]
i never said polls were accurate. expensive, yes, but they have the flaw of being innacurate as representing a population as a whole. [/b]
Depends what you mean by polls. Polling, when done correctly, is extremely accurate. And yes you can even represent the population as a whole with polling. It's done all the time.
Polls can only say so much. There never is a "perfect" way to sample a population. [/b]
Ok there you're right. Of course you can say that about pretty much everything but I'll give you this.
You should also know that it's bad to become enamored in a single method of gathering data. Polls only show you a portion of the picture.[/b]
Depends on what you are researching, but yes, to get the most accurate representation of data you will use multiple researching methods. In Market Research the ideal way of doing things is with a focus group followed up by a quantitative survey (CATI) and then followed up by more focus groups. Unfortunately this method is extremely expensive.

Now, as for Bananaman talking about mailing surveys and how expensive they are... you're not looking at the big picture. You're not doing very good market research if you're just tossing a mailer in with a game.

I had a huge ass response typed out but I'm deleting it cuz it gets too detailed and no doubt I'd lose ya. Suffice it to say that sending a mailer out, while it certainly has mailing costs associated with it, doesn't have nearly the man-hours involved as other methods of research. You could run an effective mail survey for a good $2,500 to $4000. A telephone survey with the same purpose would run more like $6,000 to $8,500, and focus groups would run anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000. With a mail survey, you just send it out, get it back, enter the data, run it through something like SPSS for simple statistical analysis, and hand it in to the client. One project manager, one mail room employee and one coder could do it easily. For phone surveys you're talking about a project manager, CATI technician to enter the survey into the system, several telephone interviewers, a supervisor, and a monitor or two. For focus groups you're talking a project manager, CATI techs, telephone recruiters to get the respondents, a supervisor, and most expensive of all, facility charges plus moderator expenses, etc.

OK that turned into a long ass response as well but who cares, it sums it up.

Valid reek, but when you already have a focus group setup economies of scale say its alot cheaper to use that than lauching a new mail survey.

We use internally programmed software to gather our data, and for analysis, so we cut out the middle men, I'd say thats got to cut out large proportion of the costs incurred to paying a company like yourselves.

Back