• Boxing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • taekwondo (no punching to head)

• karate (no head shots)

• jujitsu (no striking)

• mui-tai (grabbing allowed but only if followed by a strike)

• kung-fu (no ground grappling)

• judo (no striking)

• UFC (pretty much anything goes)

• other

• Total voters
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Feb 28 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]51248[/snapback][/center]
yeah no art is better than the other its just how sharp you make your blade :)
[/b]

Or how well you load your gun. ;)

Seriously though, that is very true.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reek @ Feb 27 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]51218[/snapback][/center]
revolver.jpg

pwned ;)
[/b]
Same I would say Reek. No matter what weapon you use. You never know what the outcome will be. In a duel of guns (which I despise) the one with more precision and speed wins. If it's real combat in an open space, that which hides better has the best chance. In close quarters, is better hand to hand. But in the end, with guns, it all depends in the individual and circumstance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Feb 28 2006, 03:29 AM) [snapback]51248[/snapback][/center]
yeah no art is better than the other its just how sharp you make your blade :)
[/b]
Not exactly, if you don't know how to use it. It will not matter how sharp it is. :)
Same with guns, as fluffy said.
In a confrontation, that which has better skill will have a better chance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Feb 28 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]51521[/snapback][/center]
Same I would say Reek. No matter what weapon you use. You never know what the outcome will be. In a duel of guns (which I despise) the one with more precision and speed wins. If it's real combat in an open space, that which hides better has the best chance. In close quarters, is better hand to hand. But in the end, with guns, it all depends in the individual and circumstance.
Not exactly, if you don't know how to use it. It will not matter how sharp it is. :)
Same with guns, as fluffy said.
In a confrontation, that which has better skill will have a better chance.
[/b]

lol it was meant as a metaphor

sigh ok lol i am going on how many people have won any fight using muay thai. there are many flashy fucking danniel son mc dojo's around that have been watered down like a cheep wine. The best wines that are not watered down which are rare and basic to the taste. same goes for martial arts. and you guys puting guns on this forums or saying how sharp your knife is.... thats lame as hell :angry: . It has alot (ALOT) to do with the fighter and how he uses his tools of destruction but, some forms are better then others. In fact i dont beleive in forms really lol. To put a label on fighting is kinda dillusional on our part. Fighting is fighting sparring is well sparring lol. Its all about how you train yourself. Now I have been very successful in Muay thai heh. I am not saying i am rambo :p just merely that I will elbow the poor man whomever picks a fight with me lol. Anyways the real reason why i think muay thai is so great in spars is because it conditions you so well and most UFC fighters use muay thai for its stand up :). Chuck the ice man hes a bad ass MFer :p for example. So its a very (popular) form and it works well with BJJ thats all. to boil my point down read the bold line :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Durryynn @ Mar 1 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]52588[/snapback][/center]
sigh ok lol i am going on how many people have won any fight using muay thai. there are many flashy fucking danniel son mc dojo's around that have been watered down like a cheep wine. The best wines that are not watered down which are rare and basic to the taste. same goes for martial arts. and you guys puting guns on this forums or saying how sharp your knife is.... thats lame as hell :angry: . It has alot (ALOT) to do with the fighter and how he uses his tools of destruction but, some forms are better then others. In fact i dont beleive in forms really lol. To put a label on fighting is kinda dillusional on our part. Fighting is fighting sparring is well sparring lol. Its all about how you train yourself. Now I have been very successful in Muay thai heh. I am not saying i am rambo :p just merely that I will elbow the poor man whomever picks a fight with me lol. Anyways the real reason why i think muay thai is so great in spars is because it conditions you so well and most UFC fighters use muay thai for its stand up :). Chuck the ice man hes a bad ass MFer :p for example. So its a very (popular) form and it works well with BJJ thats all. to boil my point down read the bold line :D
[/b]
I'm saying basically the same. Everyone of us will root for their own art. Because you know the weakneses and strenghts of it. Some styles of combat will be more effective on my art and some less effective, but still it will depend on the user :)

ok let me explain:

"how sharp your blade is" = how well you have honed your skills in a particular discipline.

and dury you seem to think that muai tai is an alpha martial art, that is silly. If you train yourself to use muai taiand you kick someones ass, that doesnt mean you wouldnt kick someones ass with another martial art.

I train in taekwondo and i compete in some chungdokwan tourneys too but i would be just as effective in self defence if i picked another martial art because they are all forms of defence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Mar 1 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]52615[/snapback][/center]
ok let me explain:

"how sharp your blade is" = how well you have honed your skills in a particular discipline.

and dury you seem to think that muai tai is an alpha martial art, that is silly. If you train yourself to use muai taiand you kick someones ass, that doesnt mean you wouldnt kick someones ass with another martial art.

I train in taekwondo and i compete in some chungdokwan tourneys too but i would be just as effective in self defence if i picked another martial art because they are all forms of defence.
[/b]
how many proffesional competitors of MMA and pride bushido know muay thai or varitations of it?.......... tae kwon do is mostly a flashy kicking tournament really. i am not trying to put it down at all. The faxct of the matter is when did u start sparring in TKD? and really :) i have seen those tourneys man. they are good with what they do and certain rules sure. fact is all around muay thai mixed with BJJ in UFC rules or say a normal balls to the walls fighting will be way more effective then any forms like TKD, gung fu or kung fu, karate.......is a shady one there are really good dojos that teach you how to fight no rules but they are rare man. I dont think that just because i beat a bunch of people up that muay thai is the for a lack of a better word "alpha class". Go to Sherdog.com look around most of those guys are doing amatuer or proffesional fighting of all kinds........... ah i get the blade metaphor my mistake :) sorry I am wrong.

Yes they are all forms of defence once again and i quote " some work better then others".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Durryynn @ Mar 1 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]52701[/snapback][/center]
how many proffesional competitors of MMA and pride bushido know muay thai or varitations of it?.......... tae kwon do is mostly a flashy kicking tournament really. i am not trying to put it down at all. The faxct of the matter is when did u start sparring in TKD? and really :) i have seen those tourneys man. they are good with what they do and certain rules sure. fact is all around muay thai mixed with BJJ in UFC rules or say a normal balls to the walls fighting will be way more effective then any forms like TKD, gung fu or kung fu, karate.......is a shady one there are really good dojos that teach you how to fight no rules but they are rare man. I dont think that just because i beat a bunch of people up that muay thai is the for a lack of a better word "alpha class". Go to Sherdog.com look around most of those guys are doing amatuer or proffesional fighting of all kinds........... ah i get the blade metaphor my mistake :) sorry I am wrong.

Yes they are all forms of defence once again and i quote " some work better then others".
[/b]
experience also takes a part in fights too :p. thats the big one. If you have experience then you will know what buttons to push to make the fight go your way. Its 80% mind and 15% physical and 5% of your type of style.

Muai Thai is so popular with the MMA fighters right now due to two main reasons.

1. It's fluidness with grappling, it goes great with BJJ, as you mentioned
2. Comparedivly speaking it is relatively easy martial art to learn.

Not saying Muai Thai is for novices, what I am saying is fighters can progress to a level of competency in Muai Thai generally faster than other striking martial arts. It is quick and dirty, and gets the job done. However this does not make it "better" as a striking form, it has it's advantages, on one of them is ease to learn.

Though I might prefer JKD as my striking style over Muai Thai. I think JKD can be more useful in more situations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Mar 2 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]52805[/snapback][/center]
Muai Thai is so popular with the MMA fighters right now due to two main reasons.

1. It's fluidness with grappling, it goes great with BJJ, as you mentioned
2. Comparedivly speaking it is relatively easy martial art to learn.

Not saying Muai Thai is for novices, what I am saying is fighters can progress to a level of competency in Muai Thai generally faster than other striking martial arts. It is quick and dirty, and gets the job done. However this does not make it "better" as a striking form, it has it's advantages, on one of them is ease to learn.

Though I might prefer JKD as my striking style over Muai Thai. I think JKD can be more useful in more situations.
[/b]
Yep but, jeet kune do is a formless form :) so in all reality i am practicing jeet kune do becuase jeet kune do is a form in which you take out the bad parts or useless parts of a form and use the efficient parts and put it into your form. I read the book hehe :p. Bruce was a martial arts philosopher extrodinare. He used all the good parts of each form that he learned and trashed the inefficient ones. He was all about the basics. Complicated flashy moves where what he was talking down about. How those show off forms are for show and is not good for fighting.

there is an alpha class martial arts

the alpha class ma is what you (general speaking, not you, dury ;) ) make out of your ma
for one JKD suits him better, so for him JKD's alpha, for another person some Gong Fu style (hell, there are shitloads of different styles) is alpha, for another one again MT is alpha for him...

your alpha MA is what you make out of it, no MA will suit every one

hope you get what I'm trying to say, rereading it sounds a little weird to myself, lol

Aikido

O and actually the Alpha martial arts was what bruce lee developed, the strongest aspects of all forms...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Durryynn @ Mar 2 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]53088[/snapback][/center]
Yep but, jeet kune do is a formless form :) so in all reality i am practicing jeet kune do becuase jeet kune do is a form in which you take out the bad parts or useless parts of a form and use the efficient parts and put it into your form. I read the book hehe :p. Bruce was a martial arts philosopher extrodinare. He used all the good parts of each form that he learned and trashed the inefficient ones. He was all about the basics. Complicated flashy moves where what he was talking down about. How those show off forms are for show and is not good for fighting.
[/b]

Yeah and Bruce said it best: "All fights end up on the floor within 30 seconds".

#1 reason I learned grappling....that and it is a shitload of fun and great to learn.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Durryynn @ Mar 2 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]53088[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
your art is your art. After you have mastered the theory, in other words, learned whatever is there to learn about a certain art. You can change it to your own style, using whatever you think is best for you. That has always been there, and not just for martial arts, but for other practices as well. Mathematics for example, there are several methods to get a product or solution. Someone teaches you how to do a problem, but then when you master it, you will start to jump steps, and change it. Eventually changing the procedure of how it works best for you. Same with Martial Arts. But in the end, it doesn't matter how much you know about an art or arts, it's how you apply it on your life. :)
One of my clan's mates that started about the same time I did (under a different teacher, but still is the same art and form). Same theory and basics as me, but when you look at both of us is totally diferent. She applies a spear form to her long sword form, which makes her style unique. It somewhat difficult to me what she does, because of my size. I applied a different approach to it, making it my own style ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Digitalmessiah ATi @ Mar 7 2006, 04:10 AM) [snapback]54777[/snapback][/center]
ok so im wanting to start learning a "profession" (discipline) lol which should i go for?
[/b]

i tried 4 or 5 classes before i chose tkd. Any martial art is good so long as it has a good instructor who knows what he is talking about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Mar 9 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]56071[/snapback][/center]
i tried 4 or 5 classes before i chose tkd. Any martial art is good so long as it has a good instructor who knows what he is talking about.
[/b]

and that is one you enjoy. Read up a little on the schools/instructors before trying to narrow your search. Might learn something.

Back