• Boxing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • taekwondo (no punching to head)

• karate (no head shots)

• jujitsu (no striking)

• mui-tai (grabbing allowed but only if followed by a strike)

• kung-fu (no ground grappling)

• judo (no striking)

• UFC (pretty much anything goes)

• other

• Total voters

Isildur

im a bit biased but i would pick taekwondo cos its pretty flash and the rules allow the fighters to show off their talent and use high section kicks. I also like high level kung-fu sparring...you can see some pretty spectacualr takedowns from kicks. UFC looks good sometimes but it bores the hell out of me when they end up wrestling against the corner for 15 minutes.

what do you think?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Feb 22 2006, 05:38 AM) [snapback]48441[/snapback][/center]
im a bit biased but i would pick taekwondo cos its pretty flash and the rules allow the fighters to show off their talent and use high section kicks. I also like high level kung-fu sparring...you can see some pretty spectacualr takedowns from kicks. UFC looks good sometimes but it bores the hell out of me when they end up wrestling against the corner for 15 minutes.

what do you think?
[/b]

I warned my now-wife about Jiu Jitsu when she started coming to my matches and watching me train is that it will look like two guys having sex. As long as you can get by that, you're all set.

Also of comical note, one of my old instructors made the following joke after showing us how to worm our way out of a particular hold, "Now this might look gay, but it is only gay if you stick your tounge out". :p

I've personally taken tae kwon do, jujitsu, kenjitsu (sword fighting/samurai) and my favorite akido or akijitsu (depending on if you're taking aggressive or passive). I would have to say its by far my favorite, just because its based on using the strikers force and movement against him to break joints without much force. I've got roughly 13 years of martial arts experience in different forms but akido is my favorite I can think of.

So in short, I voted other, Akido.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LilHammie @ Feb 21 2006, 11:24 PM) [snapback]48530[/snapback][/center]
I've personally taken tae kwon do, jujitsu, kenjitsu (sword fighting/samurai) and my favorite akido or akijitsu (depending on if you're taking aggressive or passive). I would have to say its by far my favorite, just because its based on using the strikers force and movement against him to break joints without much force. I've got roughly 13 years of martial arts experience in different forms but akido is my favorite I can think of.

[/b]

i was thinking of adding akido but the only club ive been too was kinda like kempo clubs where they practice the martial art not the sport...so all the akido stuff ive seen was mainly demo stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Feb 22 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]48538[/snapback][/center]
i was thinking of adding akido but the only club ive been too was kinda like kempo clubs where they practice the martial art not the sport...so all the akido stuff ive seen was mainly demo stuff.
[/b]
I use to have a few videos of an akido competition, it was was a mixed fighting tournament but the guy in my class whoop the shit out of some guy he faught. Best thing in the tourny though was these two little asian kids and they were in the basic crescent stance of tae kwon do and the referee signaled to begin. One guy steps on the other guys leg, jumps up and kicks him in the back of the head and knocks him out cold. It was by far the most bad ass move I've ever seen in a tournament.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LilHammie @ Feb 21 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]48530[/snapback][/center]

[/b]
The passive is Kenjutsu, is mostly meditation and tactics.
The active is Kendo, combat.

My art is based of Kendo. Been practicing it for 16 years.
You learn the use of katana, wakizashi, tanto, boken (sword, dagger, knife, wooden sword), meditation, tactics, combat (armed and unarmed). You can learn other kind of weapons too, but I specialized with katana and wakizashi. But there is Spear, Bo, or Sai to name a few. :) It all depends on your personal ability.
Demonstration tournaments and tournaments can be pretty amazing, and fun if you dare to participate. :)

Just re-read the poll, the most prettiest combat, not most "effective". Hmmmm, I would probably want to change my vote then. Damn.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Feb 22 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]48546[/snapback][/center]
The passive is Kenjutsu, is mostly meditation and tactics.
The active is Kendo, combat.

My art is based of Kendo. Been practicing it for 16 years.
You learn the use of katana, wakizashi, tanto, boken (sword, dagger, knife, wooden sword), meditation, tactics, combat (armed and unarmed). You can learn other kind of weapons too, but I specialized with katana and wakizashi. But there is Spear, Bo, or Sai to name a few. :) It all depends on your personal ability.
Demonstration tournaments and tournaments can be pretty amazing, and fun if you dare to participate. :)
[/b]
I know, but there are different styles and variations of kendo. I do practice kendo but for the most part I'm still doing the techniques of kenjitsu.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LilHammie @ Feb 22 2006, 02:52 AM) [snapback]48632[/snapback][/center]
I know, but there are different styles and variations of kendo. I do practice kendo but for the most part I'm still doing the techniques of kenjitsu.
[/b]
Yeah mine is a variation. :p

I picked other. I like balls to the wall bar brawls :p when the stools are flying, chicks are screaming "stop!" and everyone is freaking out :).... my friends and i would train w/ eachother in "what ever worked" just throw on the gloves and a cup and have at it. To me grappling seemed to do better in a barfight.. most the time it was as simple as throwing someone down and stomping on his hand or ankle.

i took taekwondo for until i was 14 and recieved my first degree black belt, about 3 years ago(quit martial arts altogther)...always enjoyed sparring in tourns. but UFC is the funnest to watch and requires the most skill. Brazilian ju jitsu is a main factor in UFC which looks fun to learn.Bruce Lee's system of figthing, jeet kune do, looks to be the most effective.

I took Kung Fu, as San Da is part of Kung Fu :D
and I love San Da :)

Akido = Aikido, or something else?

and since when is Kenjutsu passiv , Kendo active?
never heard at all something like active/passive, only though that the old more aggressive styles have been leveled down (especially after WWII in Japan) and went from Jutsu (techniques afaik) to Do (way)...

but both are active, I'd say ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RSCIW @ Feb 26 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]50744[/snapback][/center]
I took Kung Fu, as San Da is part of Kung Fu :D
and I love San Da :)

Akido = Aikido, or something else?

and since when is Kenjutsu passiv , Kendo active?
never heard at all something like active/passive, only though that the old more aggressive styles have been leveled down (especially after WWII in Japan) and went from Jutsu (techniques afaik) to Do (way)...

but both are active, I'd say ;)
[/b]
It changed after the meiji revolution in Japan, with the sword ban in 1868. Kenjutsu is more aligned to teachings related to spirit and growth of the soul; While Kendo's teachings are more violent, referring to the way of the sword (bushido, to live by the sword and die by the sword). I know that most public Kendo schools leveled down their aggressive skills after WWII, but there are still family styles that didn't. They pass their teachings from generation to generation. :)
I choose to describe it as passive and active for people to understand, not because they are called like that. They are both disciplines. However, there is a big difference between the two.

Muay thai mother fuckers lol. I take muay thai and i only have a problem with black belt BJJ's and kickboxers other then that muay thai has a major fucking arsenal or striking stand up fighting hits by far. My shins are like base ball bats and i can mostly make someone drop by 1 round house to the thigh or a knee to the liver. mostly the elbows and right hooks straights and crosses work together. i love just getting in close and spinning elbows in all directions and hooks elbow right left hook. Plus my favorite is faking a few punches to put the opponents guard up and just roundhousing their hams to a pulp lol. long range mid rang up close its got it all if u know a lil bit of bjj to counter the ground shoots and other locks. Muay thai FTMFW!!!! plus u get alot of conditioning lol.

There is no art better than any other, it all depends in the individual. No one can say that a Tae-Kwondo(sp?) is better than a kung-fu(sp?). It all depends in the ability of that individual.
Now to answer the OP, I always considered a sword fight to be a flashy art, it catches my attention a lot. It doesn't matter if it's Spaniard, Chinese, or Japanese, a demonstration tournament with swords is very attractive and is a good show. Another for me, would be Kapoera (sp?), the brazilian dance art.

revolver.jpg

pwned ;)

Free style / wrestling in UFC is for the men .. nothing like watching some1 try to perform a martial arts kick and get slammed on their head and choked out.

Although it is funny when some1 connects with a knock out kick

Back