anyone else have a big election coming up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Oct 24 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]128137[/snapback][/center]
close to nature, as expected from a wookiee
[/b]

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Madrigal @ Oct 24 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]128009[/snapback][/center]
California has some interesting things going on.

First of all, Arnold is up for re-election. After his special election of last year was all but shat upon by the public, he has since apologized and kissed some serious Democrat ass. At this point, he is pretty much a Goldwater/Nixon Republican meaning fiscally conservative and socially liberal. He'll probably be re-elected. Much to the chagrin of socially conservative republicans. I feel a party swich coming, maybe even to Libertarian. Unless the true conservatives regain control of the republican party. Then he'll stay.

There is also a measure to add a state tax on oil/natural gas drilling and refining, in line with those in Alaska and Texas. The difference is that the tax money will go to the development of alternative fuels and the tax cannot be charged to the consumer.

There is also a measure for a $2.60 cigarette tax increase. Supporters for the measure openly admit it's designed to legislate against smoking and the tobacco industry is spending millions to defeat it. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Also is a measure that would mandate women under 18 to notify their parents before they get an abortion.

There are many other measures, but these seem to be the most interesting.
[/b]
I would vote for Arnold if I lived out there. :) He seems like one of the rare few these days with the common sense to push hard for embryonic stem cell research.

Well the big thing here in Nashville is the Senate race between Harold Ford Jr. and Bob Corker. It's quite the national topic actually.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Epise @ Oct 24 2006, 10:34 PM) [snapback]128117[/snapback][/center]
**There will be a small laugh section at the end of this post**

I feel, Zana, that marriage is between a man and a woman. As far as I know, this institution we call marriage, has been the same for as long as time, and goes beyond the bible and religion (which I don't follow).

I really do not know why it is so hard for gays to accept a civil union. They offer the same benefits of being married with the exception of the moniker "married". A civil union is still an expression of love between two individuals it just stops shy of saying they are married.

As for getting married outside.......do it seriously. I got married outside and it was great. Never had more fun and watching my wife-to-be's hair blow in the wind and the sun shine off her face was unbelievable. Definately something I will always remember.

**OK here is the laugh section......well might not be a laugh but not serious either and deals with gays**

Zana, gays getting married just isn't right. Think about it thier parts just don't fit togather like a man and a womans do. I mean two chicks have to buy extra gear to finish the puzzle and two guys have to buy tubes of lube to even get started fitting togather.......even at that one is left out till the other is done. Not natural I tell.........just not natural /shakes head negatively.
[/b]

lol, there is some truth to that yes, they aren't like two pieces of the same puzzle ^_^ :p
And I personally cant say that I....enjoy seeing two men making out, women on the other hand... ^_^ :lol: :p

But you still havent given a real reason to why they shouldnt be able to get married instead of what s called a civil union... (Unless the amusing part in the end was a reason for you? ;) ) I mean, why aren't you happy with *just* a civil union then? Why did you get married instead of "just" entering a civil union? ;)
I can admit that seeing two gay people by the altar getting married is som what awekward in my eyes. But I want to respect that there are others that love eachother just as well as I love my man, and that they want to share their love the same way that a man and a woman are able to, by getting married *shrug*

But anyhow, back to what the thread was about in the first place ;) :p
No more elections now in Sweden for 4 years. Right now the parlament guys are throwing dirt at eachother for not paying taxes when hiring a babysitter, for not paying the TV-license we have to pay in this country to watch 3 commercial free TV channels plus 3 commercial free radiostations (which I personally never watch, stll have to pay for 'em :blink: I only watch the other channels) . Thats the *important* (*coughs /end sarcasm*) issues you here about on the radio/TV day in and day out now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hippo @ Oct 25 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]128162[/snapback][/center]
I would vote for Arnold if I lived out there. :) He seems like one of the rare few these days with the common sense to push hard for embryonic stem cell research.
[/b]
The recall election was definitely not one of our proudest moments.

At best, Schwarzenegger got the 2nd most number of votes if you count a NO to the recall as a vote for Gray Davis, then subtract the number of votes cast for Arnold by those who also voted NO on the recall (since it was actually a vote for Davis). It's really complicated. But the idea that the Governator walked out of there with the most true votes is extremely unlikely. Unfortunately, the vote breakdown numbers that can confirm this are unavailable and are probably (not unintentionally) lost to history. But oh well... We move on.

You can learn more about the recall here if you want...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_California_recall

Now, as for his performance as Governor, he has emerged lately as an old-school, Nixon-Goldwater conservative: Fiscally responsible and an aggressive advocate of individual rights, responsibilities and liberties. He has also signed bills to increase minimum wage and encourages the reduction of global warming as a matter of policy. He's always been pro-choice and is an outspoken crtic of the Iraq war and of the Bush administration in general.

Things were quite rocky for a while as he basically stole money from schools (borrowed, then decided not to pay it back) and tried to limit capaign contributions by organizations who were likely to oppose him (teachers and firefighters).

Here's info on the special election he called, where he soundly got his ass handed to him and his popularity plummeted to 34% (yeah, G-Dub would kill for those numbers now).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_sp...lection%2C_2005
(Note, the parental notification measure is back on the ballot for 2006 :ph34r: )

Since then, he's been playing ball with the Democrats. He understands that Californians will let him have his shot at Governor out of their sheer love of the bizarre. After all, he makes a great conversation piece :D .

But if he'da kept fucking around, we'da squashed him and he knows it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Madrigal @ Oct 27 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]128858[/snapback][/center]
his popularity plummeted to 34% (yeah, G-Dub would kill for those numbers now).
[/b]
Why? "G-Dub"'s around 37-40% right now. Source

Nothing to write home about, but still, your statement is misinformed.

Also, he's hardly an "outspoken critic" of the Iraq war. He said there were mistakes and we need to get an exit strategy, but by and large he has supported the administration's efforts in Iraq.

Again, no biggie, but you're still misinformed :p.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reek @ Oct 27 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]128907[/snapback][/center]
Why? "G-Dub"'s around 37-40% right now. Source

Nothing to write home about, but still, your statement is misinformed.

Also, he's hardly an "outspoken critic" of the Iraq war. He said there were mistakes and we need to get an exit strategy, but by and large he has supported the administration's efforts in Iraq.

Again, no biggie, but you're still misinformed :p.
[/b]
Sorry reek, I got much love for you, but the point is, there are enough polls out there that put Bush around 33% that it is a legitimate claim and not misinformed. :p

However, the latest FoxNews poll rates him has high as 40%. So I will concede you that. The point is, Arnold's ratings were in the toilet, and the hostility towards him was up in Bush levels, meaning it went beyond party lines. Just illustrating a point.

Arnold and Iraq, from this article.
http://www.topix.net/content/ap/2485058616...819123432449505
On a more serious subject, the Republican governor said a 'lot of mistakes' were made during the war in Iraq, but ducked a question from Leno about whether Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld should be fired.

'Without any doubt, we have to find an exit strategy as quickly as possible,' he said.

The remarks represented Schwarzenegger's most pointed criticism to date of the Bush administration over its Iraq policy. He has previously said he supports the war, but that the nation should find a 'sensible' way to get out.[/b]
Hardly an endorsement. In fact, it's a complete turnaround from earlier statements. But you may be right, and he could simply be pandering for votes. We'll see what he says after the election. Deal?

Then there was this one.
'To link me to George Bush is like linking me to an Oscar.'[/b]
The tension between Arnold and the Bush administration is a common topic here in CA. Bush comes to Santa Monica often, has the streets closed off during rush hour for his autocade, and doesn't even invite Arnold to attend the function.

Arnold lives in Santa Monica.

Our big race here is congressional, Charles Taylor-R (I) vs Heath Shuler-D
Both are crooked, both got rich being that way, and Taylor is a massive dickhead--I've met him several times. Shuler isn't even from here and doesn't live here, but he played pro football. I think I'll opt to leave this one blank, because we lose either way.

The other one is purely local, its on a 64 foot height limit for buildings downtown. The crooked majority (3-2) of our country commissioners forced through a law letting some developers that one of them works for build a big high-rise just off main street, despite the fact that no one wanted it. So two of our state-level senators put a proposal on the ballot to override the law and clarify the existing height limit. I know this sounds like nothing to most of you, but I'm from a small town in NC that only has approximately 30000 residents. The tallest building in town is our historic courthouse on mainstreet, which is 64 foot, hence the limit--nothing should be taller than the courthouse, which can be seen from just about anywhere in town.
http://www.dhinc.org/ -- the courthouse is the domed building in the pic on the left, behind the word Hendersonville.

Back