anyone else have a big election coming up

whewa

South Dakota has a massive election coming coming up with 4 possible changes to our state constituition and 3 measures propossed. Its got everything from the abortion ban, to banning gay marriage and civil unions in the constitution, repeal of video lottery, medical marijuana, increased tobbaco tax, restricting government personal use of state aircraft, forcing schools to start after aug 31, and getting rid of our special cell phone tax.

Quite an overwelming ballot and then on top of that all of the regular elections. Looks there is going to be some bad choices made from voters fatigue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Oct 23 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]127633[/snapback][/center]
South Dakota has a massive election coming coming up with 4 possible changes to our state constituition and 3 measures propossed. Its got everything from the abortion ban, to banning gay marriage and civil unions in the constitution, repeal of video lottery, medical marijuana, increased tobbaco tax, restricting government personal use of state aircraft, forcing schools to start after aug 31, and getting rid of our special cell phone tax.

Quite an overwelming ballot and then on top of that all of the regular elections. Looks there is going to be some bad choices made from voters fatigue.
[/b]

Connecticut. It's been so addelpated that it's been on almost every major news network.

Upstart Ned Lamont took over the Democratic runner that's been in office for 18 years now - Joe Liberman. Joe has decided to run independent, and many support him. Many are going with Ned Lamont because his whole campaign is nothing but "Joe is the same as Bush. Don't vote for Bush"

I'm tired of the ads honestly.

haha you should have seen it here when john thune took on tom daschle (leader of the democrats in the senate at the time). Wow sooo many outsiders placing ads in sd. It was gross and disturbing. All these commercials and not one of them actually cared about sd, just getting rid of daschle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Oct 23 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]127633[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

Im sorry and no offence, but what idiot thinks that one should ban abortion and say no to gay people wanting to marry?? :wacko: :blink:
A few of them seems like pretty changes tho :)

There has just been a big election in Sweden. We have now changed the "government/parlament" and the priminister...and not for the better :blink:
(We have king and queen in Sweden)

We get to replace the beloved Tom Delay.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zana @ Oct 24 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]127640[/snapback][/center]

Im sorry and no offence, but what idiot thinks that one should ban abortion and say no to gay people wanting to marry?? :wacko: :blink:

[/b]
Christians, and the crazy Republican kind.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ackis @ Oct 23 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]127702[/snapback][/center]
I thought you said "erection" and I was going to say yes.
[/b]
:blink: :lol:

The Illinois gubernatorial election has come down to voting for who you hate the least, not who can do the most for your state

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Oct 23 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]127869[/snapback][/center]
The Illinois gubernatorial election has come down to voting for who you hate the least, not who can do the most for your state
[/b]

Isn't that pretty much always the case when there are only two major political parties

yes, but this year it has been way overdone here. It's nothing but a trashtalk fest. Nobody talks about policies, just about how shitty their opponent is. Seriously, nobody knows where each candidate stands on what policy here in Illinois. I don't think I've witnessed an election like this in my lifetime

Duckworth vs. Roskam is pretty nasty out here too. More poo-flinging ads than anything positive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zana @ Oct 23 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]127640[/snapback][/center]

Im sorry and no offence, but what idiot thinks that one should ban abortion and say no to gay people wanting to marry??

[/b]
Why does it make you an "idiot" to not support gay marriage and to not support te slaughter of unborn children by losers?

Not uch in the political scene going on here in OK........unfortunately the ads have been nice and not uch trash talking except for our Corporation Commisioner but that one is always nasty (our Corp Commish is always corrupt for some reason.......most of them get brought up on charges so always a fun one to watch while someone says the incumbent is corrupt then they get elected and become even more corrupt then the last one.........hilarious)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Epise @ Oct 24 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]127974[/snapback][/center]
Why does it make you an "idiot" to not support gay marriage and to not support te slaughter of unborn children by losers?
Not uch in the political scene going on here in OK........unfortunately the ads have been nice and not uch trash talking except for our Corporation Commisioner but that one is always nasty (our Corp Commish is always corrupt for some reason.......most of them get brought up on charges so always a fun one to watch while someone says the incumbent is corrupt then they get elected and become even more corrupt then the last one.........hilarious)
[/b]

So you think that if a woman get raped, and gets pregnant she shouldnt be able to do an abortion? She should look at the child every single day and think of that moment? And she should have the child against her own will?
Or if a woman (couple) sees that the situation they are living in, is not good for any child (due to a variaty of reasons), they get pregnant by accident (Yes, *technicly* you shouldnt have sex if you arent preped to take the concequences) that they shouldnt be able to do an abortion?
Or if a child gets raped, gets pregnant...shouldnt they be able to do an abortion?
I *definately* don't think it should be used as a birthcontroller or anything of the kind, but I think its idioticly, wrong and horrible not to have the option at all. Because in some cases, it would be so much worse for a baby to get born, then for a small "embryo" to be taken away.
And I do not think that it is slaughter of a baby/child when its in that early state (=foetus/embyo). That is like saying that a seed is a flower. The seed will *become* a flower, but it is not one to begin with.
(Not comparing a seed with an embryo, just trying to get my point of view through :) )

I think that marriage is something between two people that are in love, nothing more nothing less. Its not an act by god or anyone else, its a bond between two people that wants to show the world how much they love eachother. I think its narrowminded to say that any two people cant get married.

Im not saying that these thoughts are right or wrong, they are my opinions, and I'll respect anyone elses :)
And sorry, they might not *be* an idiot for thinking that way, but I think they are acting idioticly

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zana @ Oct 24 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]127984[/snapback][/center]
So you think that if a woman get raped, and gets pregnant she shouldnt be able to do an abortion? She should look at the child every single day and think of that moment? And she should have the child against her own will?
Or if a woman (couple) sees that the situation they are living in, is not good for any child (due to a variaty of reasons), they get pregnant by accident (Yes, *technicly* you shouldnt have sex if you arent preped to take the concequences) that they shouldnt be able to do an abortion?
Or if a child gets raped, gets pregnant...shouldnt they be able to do an abortion?
I *definately* don't think it should be used as a birthcontroller or anything of the kind, but I think its idioticly, wrong and horrible not to have the option at all. Because in some cases, it would be so much worse for a baby to get born, then for a small "embryo" to be taken away.
And I do not think that it is slaughter of a baby/child when its in that early state (=foetus/embyo). That is like saying that a seed is a flower. The seed will *become* a flower, but it is not one to begin with.
(Not comparing a seed with an embryo, just trying to get my point of view through :) )

I think that marriage is something between two people that are in love, nothing more nothing less. Its not an act by god or anyone else, its a bond between two people that wants to show the world how much they love eachother. I think its narrowminded to say that any two people cant get married.

Im not saying that these thoughts are right or wrong, they are my opinions, and I'll respect anyone elses :)

[/b]
I have stated in many other threads that there should be exception, extremely rare, where an abortion could be considered, but the way it is used in America is as a form of birth control and that is wrong. It is premeditated, cold blooded murder for the most selfish of reasons. As it has been stated many times if the girl doesn't want a child then she needs to think about abstinence because everytime you lay day with a man you are taking the chance of getting pregnant and making your choice.

As for the gay marriage......don't support it and will never support it. If the gays want to be togather then why not opt for civil unions. They grant the same rights as a marriage but without the moniker.

California has some interesting things going on.

First of all, Arnold is up for re-election. After his special election of last year was all but shat upon by the public, he has since apologized and kissed some serious Democrat ass. At this point, he is pretty much a Goldwater/Nixon Republican meaning fiscally conservative and socially liberal. He'll probably be re-elected. Much to the chagrin of socially conservative republicans. I feel a party swich coming, maybe even to Libertarian. Unless the true conservatives regain control of the republican party. Then he'll stay.

There is also a measure to add a state tax on oil/natural gas drilling and refining, in line with those in Alaska and Texas. The difference is that the tax money will go to the development of alternative fuels and the tax cannot be charged to the consumer.

There is also a measure for a $2.60 cigarette tax increase. Supporters for the measure openly admit it's designed to legislate against smoking and the tobacco industry is spending millions to defeat it. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Also is a measure that would mandate women under 18 to notify their parents before they get an abortion.

There are many other measures, but these seem to be the most interesting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zana @ Oct 24 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]127984[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
Don't go back on your word now. You said you thought anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot.

Many, and likely most, Americans, btw, believe that marriage is a tradition and institution that should not be changed. They are OK with homosexual civil unions, but believe that marriage is inherently between a man and a woman.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Epise @ Oct 24 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]127988[/snapback][/center]
I have stated in many other threads that there should be exception, extremely rare, where an abortion could be considered, but the way it is used in America is as a form of birth control and that is wrong. It is premeditated, cold blooded murder for the most selfish of reasons. As it has been stated many times if the girl doesn't want a child then she needs to think about abstinence because everytime you lay day with a man you are taking the chance of getting pregnant and making your choice.
[/b]
Oki, and as I said, I agree it should be in rare cases :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Epise @ Oct 24 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]127988[/snapback][/center]
As for the gay marriage......don't support it and will never support it. If the gays want to be togather then why not opt for civil unions. They grant the same rights as a marriage but without the moniker.
[/b]
I am just curious to why you think that gay people shouldn't get married? And what look do you have on marriage since you dont think they should be able to marry? Is it just because it says in the bible that a marriage should be between a woman and a man, or? Just being curious :)

Back