What kind of PVP would the perfect MMO have?

What kind of PVP would the perfect MMO have?

• All PVP all the time no matter what; can jump anybody of any faction even if they hate PVP

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Faction System - Can attack those of an enemy faction at any time; but neutrals are safe

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Covert/Overt system - Can only be attacked if you are set to overt like in SWG

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Arranged matchups in an arena or something - no random jumping of anyone in regular areas

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No PVP at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

Okay; so would you all rather have all PVP all the time; or some kind of carebear system? I voted for PVP at any time no matter what; because artificial restraints on who you can kill are lame. It always pissed me off seeing a rebel standing there in SWG, but you couldn't kill them. Why the hell couldn't I kill them if I'm an imperial and I know they are rebel? Makes no sense. Then in the later days it became so carebear that you'd see some guy shooting NPC stormtroopers in the middle of a city, but were powerless to stop them cause TEFs were taken out of the game. Ugh! So stupid....

I voted for covert/overt system. When I played SWG I mostly ran around overt b/c I liked the idea of randomly needing to defend myself but there were times when I just wanted to stand around and BS with people so I'd go carebear.

I do miss the TEF for attacking enemy faction NPCs.

Free for all is the best but the devs also needs to protect players from griefers, the idea is basicly the same with rl, altho a maniac can shoot ppl in the street then he will get his ass nailed by police, EvE has a system pretty close to the winning formula but the system still have some flaws.

To make a system sucsessful first they need to work on the AI for the law enforcing and the actions need to face consequences so that if one still wants to grief ppl he can have the freedom to do so but the victims would get serious help from the game and the aggressor should endanger something for himself. There are so many other elements to consider to be able to create the right formula, unfortunately I am not in game making biz.:p

Free for all is the best but the devs also needs to protect players from griefers, the idea is basicly the same with rl, altho a maniac can shoot ppl in the street then he will get his ass nailed by police, EvE has a system pretty close to the winning formula but the system still have some flaws.

To make a system sucsessful first they need to work on the AI for the law enforcing and the actions need to face consequences so that if one still wants to grief ppl he can have the freedom to do so but the victims would get serious help from the game and the aggressor should endanger something for himself. There are so many other elements to consider to be able to create the right formula, unfortunately I am not in game making biz.:p
I think a game made by you would be so badass; cause that is exactly the kind of PVP I want. I think also it would be great if there were player bounties like people always wished for in SWG. So sure you could be a griefer if you want, but if you piss off the wrong people you'll get hella lots of people gunning for you for the bounties taken out on you.

To make a system sucsessful first they need to work on the AI for the law enforcing and the actions need to face consequences so that if one still wants to grief ppl he can have the freedom to do so but the victims would get serious help from the game and the aggressor should endanger something for himself.

That one MMO based on ancient Rome literally crucifies griefers. It would crack me the f@#k up to see griefers get frozen in carbonite in SWG. :lol:

I appreciated EQ2's PvP system for the most part. 3 factions Good, Evil and Exile (who could attack Good, Evil and Exile player, but also be attacked by them). The only huge factor stopping EQ2 from being a major pvp game is all the zone lines leading to "zone hopping." Yet all this attacking hinders any massive player economy (it is limited to factions) which can be okay, but you need many players to sustain it.

One thing I always thought SWG lacked was a third faction. If they brought in the Hutts or "the Underworld" or whomever the PvP dynamic would change for the better. Neither side would benefit from superior numbers if a third group could show up and pick a side.

I think a game made by you would be so badass; cause that is exactly the kind of PVP I want. I think also it would be great if there were player bounties like people always wished for in SWG. So sure you could be a griefer if you want, but if you piss off the wrong people you'll get hella lots of people gunning for you for the bounties taken out on you.

First rule of a MMO that devs didnt learn yet is if the system is open to exploits players will exploit it. Putting bounties on one's head by player's falls to this category, its not totally impossible but still not easy especially if you dont have the right set up already implemented.

Like I said before there are a lot of elements to make a successful PvP game, and the winning formula needs to solve all the possible problems/exploits and still provide freedom to the players.

I really wish i had the means of making a game, I would create a masterpiece atleast for the game play/mechanics part.

I appreciated EQ2's PvP system for the most part. 3 factions Good, Evil and Exile (who could attack Good, Evil and Exile player, but also be attacked by them). The only huge factor stopping EQ2 from being a major pvp game is all the zone lines leading to "zone hopping." Yet all this attacking hinders any massive player economy (it is limited to factions) which can be okay, but you need many players to sustain it.
zoning while in pvp combat was taken out >.<

as i understand it, the pvp system in potbs will be really close to what i want. you have factions, you have your declared enemies, your allies, and the rogue faction that does what they want. enemies are KoS, and i believe you can kill your own faction if you felt they deserved it. not sure about that though, but there should always be a way to eliminate the idiots among your own team.

Well it seems like according to these poll results; the vast majority prefers at least some kind of system where you can jump people at any time; even when they are not "ready" or if they don't want to PVP at that time. So you have to wonder then why do MMOs continue to cater towards the small minority of people who want a carebear system that doesn't force unwanted PVP?

And I've heard all the arguments from the carebears back in the day; none of them seem to get it. When you marginalize PVP, you ruin it. PVP can't just be arranged battles between the elites who choose to participate. If I'm playing a Star Wars MMO as an Imperial, I want to go out hunting Rebels, all the Rebels. You can't just have the elite players; you need cannon fodder (noobs) as well. If an average player tries PVP and loses 99% of the time, and they have the option to stay 'covert' they will do that. But force everyone to PVP, and in turn there will always be people more noobish than them, so they'll have someone to kill; and so on. I dunno...makes sense to me.

Devs cater to carebears as their voice is louder. I really dont understand why carebears want to play MMO's tho since what they actually want is to play a singlePlayer game with online chat and occasional spar. Hence carebears ruin games not for others only, but for themselves aswell, they r the spoiled children of MMO games and need a good spanking. Their approach is I want this and that and I want it now and I want noone to interfere.

PotBS was supposed to be that way but later due to massive propaganda from carebears the pvp system was limited tremondously and I lost interest.

Devs cater to carebears as their voice is louder. I really dont understand why carebears want to play MMO's tho since what they actually want is to play a singlePlayer game with online chat and occasional spar. Hence carebears ruin games not for others only, but for themselves aswell, they r the spoiled children of MMO games and need a good spanking. Their approach is I want this and that and I want it now and I want noone to interfere.

PotBS was supposed to be that way but later due to massive propaganda from carebears the pvp system was limited tremondously and I lost interest.

There are alot more carebears playing MMOs than non-carebears. Devs are just following the money.

Not saying I don't agree with keeping the "integrity" of a game, but I can understand the pull of the mass money.

Well I dont agree with this statement atleast not entirely, there are different types of carebears. Some are harmless, some are not and bear in mind that following the mentality of carebears effectively ruins games for the most part so its not a good idea to follow the logic of carebears.

And usually carebears are the first ones to jump from the ship, the type of game they want is actually not MMO or atleast the player versus player aspect of the game is watered to a degree that they can do whatever they want and as a result the game gets boring and they leave. So what these guys want from a game makes them stop playing if they achieve what they are asking. I know it sounds very stupid but its the reality. So if i were a dev I would ban the first whiny carebear and end the complaints there and then.

If you take the thrill, exitement and the danger of unknown from a game, it becomes old real fast just remember Ekibe as an example.

You dont need to be a hardcore PvPer or a griefer type player to see that open PvP is the best choice for a long lasting game. To make it work tho u need other mechanics incorparated with it so all actions will have consequences and PowerGamers cant grief others endlessly. Free for all type of games also provides loads of possibilities for player driven content and thats the one of the most important tools to keep players interested in a game.

If there's one thing I've learned through my years of SWG, its that it ain't worth arguing this point.

You're wrong about the carebears jumping ship though Hakan. I'm still there. Where are you? :p

Well I dont agree with this statement atleast not entirely, there are different types of carebears. Some are harmless, some are not and bear in mind that following the mentality of carebears effectively ruins games for the most part so its not a good idea to follow the logic of carebears.

And usually carebears are the first ones to jump from the ship, the type of game they want is actually not MMO or atleast the player versus player aspect of the game is watered to a degree that they can do whatever they want and as a result the game gets boring and they leave. So what these guys want from a game makes them stop playing if they achieve what they are asking. I know it sounds very stupid but its the reality. So if i were a dev I would ban the first whiny carebear and end the complaints there and then.

If you take the thrill, exitement and the danger of unknown from a game, it becomes old real fast just remember Ekibe as an example.

You dont need to be a hardcore PvPer or a griefer type player to see that open PvP is the best choice for a long lasting game. To make it work tho u need other mechanics incorparated with it so all actions will have consequences and PowerGamers cant grief others endlessly. Free for all type of games also provides loads of possibilities for player driven content and thats the one of the most important tools to keep players interested in a game.

Hoenstly, I think that the population of carebears is so much larger that you are going to get more whiners, more abandoners, more whatever in the carebear group than you will of the non-carebear group. Again solely because there are so many more of them, there is a much higher chance of having one or many Ekibes in the crowd.

If there's one thing I've learned through my years of SWG, its that it ain't worth arguing this point.

You're wrong about the carebears jumping ship though Hakan. I'm still there. Where are you? :p

Well I am not wrong in general. Generalisation doesnt mean there can not be any exceptions.:p

Again seeing them more vocal doesnt prove I am wrong, it just shows the behaviour of player types. To see the results check the history of MMOs and you will see that there are loads of evidences which proves my points. I have seen many carebears got educated :D by my types but never seen the other way also just look at that stupid TCS thread on flame boards or check the official forums, this kind of carebear games also allows retards to act like that, rest assured in a free for all game where there are serious consequences to actions, those kind of idiocity would be rare since players can punish them in game.

Back