US army kills yet more UK Soldiers

im-with-stupid.jpg

:mad:

It could have been a USAF fuckup. It could have been a FAC (Forward Air Controller) fuckup. It could have been an equipment malfunction.

Interestingly, a British spokesman called for suspension of judgment until the investigation is complete. He also noted that US air strikes have saved British butts in Afghanistan a great many more times than they have caused British casualties. Furthermore, he noted that the nature of the ground combat is such that totally avoiding friendly-fire accidents from air strikes is essentially impossible.

Next time, read the whole goddam article. I am in no way an apologist for my country's mistakes, but at the same time I will not accept unwarranted accusations.

:mad:

It could have been a USAF fuckup. It could have been a FAC (Forward Air Controller) fuckup. It could have been an equipment malfunction.

Interestingly, a British spokesman called for suspension of judgment until the investigation is complete. He also noted that US air strikes have saved British butts in Afghanistan a great many more times than they have caused British casualties. Furthermore, he noted that the nature of the ground combat is such that totally avoiding friendly-fire accidents from air strikes is essentially impossible.

Next time, read the whole goddam article. I am in no way an apologist for my country's mistakes, but at the same time I will not accept unwarranted accusations.
Like it or not, legitimate or not, your armed forces have a reputation for killing allies.

Like it or not, legitimate or not, your armed forces have a reputation for killing allies.
It's the language barrier. We say "don't run under that bomb!", and all they hear is "jolly good show" and "'let's put another shrimp on the barbie".

Yes, along with civilians and innocent bystanders, not to mention ex-football-star platoon-mates.

My point is not the reputation, it's the sources of the reputation which are more often than not spectacularized reports. Once the bandwagon starts rolling, everyone wants to jump on and play along. I am sure there are legitimate instances of incompetence. Not every instance of friendly fire is such. The first step toward eliminating incompetence is to distinguish between it and accident despite competence.

Last edited:
I try not to pay attention to the news about Irak. My two brothers are still there; both on their third tour. But sometimes it can't be ignored.

This is bad. Everyone complains about shooting friendlies. Have you play a FPS game? How many times have you sacrify a friendly to achieve a higher outcome. Or simply because your friend ends up in between your firing range and the enemy? I suppose real war is as chaotic as a game, even more because there is no second chance.

I try not to pay attention to the news about Irak. My two brothers are still there; both on their third tour. But sometimes it can't be ignored.

This is bad. Everyone complains about shooting friendlies. Have you play a FPS game? How many times have you sacrify a friendly to achieve a higher outcome. Or simply because your friend ends up in between your firing range and the enemy? I suppose real war is as chaotic as a game, even more because there is no second chance.
To the best of my recollection, this event happened in Afghanistan. I believe a UK patrol got pinned down in an ambush and called for close air support. A couple of F-15s responded, and a 500-lb bomb fell in the wrong place. I don't know much more. I read an article in the paper about it last Sunday, but it kind of made me sick so I didn't really focus on all of the details.

a jet plane dropping a bomb and killing UK troops could happen to anyones army, its a mix of coordinates. sucks it happend but hell its not just the US im sure its happend to other countries, and hell I'd rather have my troops trigger happy than pussies

When the British open fire, the insurgents duck...

When the insurgents open fire, the British duck...

When the Americans open fire, everyone ducks...

Back