The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Stavrose

Fried Yoda
Staff member
If it wasn't aliens, then it was some secret government warfare experiment during the cold war. Here's a summary from the intro blurb:
The mysterious circumstances and subsequent investigations of the hikers' deaths have inspired much speculation. Investigations of the deaths suggest that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot in heavy snow; while the corpses show no signs of struggle, one victim had a fractured skull, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue. According to sources, the victims' clothing contained high levels of radiation - though this was likely added at a later date, since no reference is made to it in contemporary documentation and only in later documents. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths, barring entry to the area for years thereafter. The causes of the accident remain unclear.​
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident

Hydrazine? Where *did* the spent first stages from R-7's drop to the ground in Russia?

I stumbled upon this interesting blurb while reading about Unit 731 (the division in charge of Japanese human experimentation in the 30s and 40s):
After World War II, the Soviet Union built a biological weapons facility in Sverdlovsk using documentation captured from Unit 731 in Manchuria.
-Source

This supports the military warfare experimentation theory. The original article notes that "Some reports suggested that much scrap metal was located in the area, leading to speculation that the military had utilized the area secretly and might be engaged in a cover-up." The scrap metal could in fact be the remains of the aforementioned military facility and the skiers were exposed to whatever biochemical agents were in the air or in the environment, which can explain the blindness and the radiation. The causes of death, however, are not explained by this.

Pwnt by skeptoid

Though this explanation is neither unique nor complete, it is the simplest of the ones I read and makes a strong case for an avalanche being the culprit. Sadly, the evidence of the most interesting and unusual tidbits of the story seems to be anecdotal. In other words, probably a load of crap.

Why would the Russians experiment on their own college students? Wouldn't it make more sense to experiment on the poor or jailed dissidents? After all, this was Kruschev's Russia. They had a space race to win.

That doesn't explain the missing tongues or the blindness, and it doesn't excuse the fact that a biowarfare existed there. If an avalach did happen, the tent would not be more or less in tact and in the same spot

That doesn't explain the missing tongues or the blindness, and it doesn't excuse the fact that a biowarfare existed there. If an avalach did happen, the tent would not be more or less in tact and in the same spot
The tongue could have been bitten off during an avalanche. It isn't uncommon. Blindness was never proven. It was always speculation. I have no explanation for the tent being intact, but if there were survivors of the initial avalanche, they could have found the tent and put it up again for shelter.

Over all, I think this a really interesting case and provides great fodder for debate, speculation and forensic theory. Thanks for posting it. I had grown weary of the political stuff.

The tongue could have been bitten off during an avalanche. It isn't uncommon. Blindness was never proven. It was always speculation. I have no explanation for the tent being intact, but if there were survivors of the initial avalanche, they could have found the tent and put it up again for shelter.

Over all, I think this a really interesting case and provides great fodder for debate, speculation and forensic theory. Thanks for posting it. I had grown weary of the political stuff.
The tent was ripped from the inside :) All in all, we probably never know what happened unless those few pages that were witheld from the public get released. It's really weird that the government would withold information that they have on this. I'm not saying it is aliens or UFOs, but I do believe that it had something to do with the biowarfare facility. I mean, if it was just an avalanch the government wouldn't withold that information unless there was something that needed to be covered up.

Maybe it wasn't just an avalanche. Maybe there was a biochemical explosion that caused the avalanche, woke the people in the tent who realized they had seconds to get out of the tent and ripped their way out before the avalanche arrived.

Or is that just nuts now?

Back