Star Trek, 2nd trailer

The first time I saw it (at the premier of Quantum of Solace) I was excited. Now, watching it for the second time I'm being skeptical, if not pissed off at JJ Abrams.
  1. If by "relaunching Star Trek for the 21st century" JJ Abrams meant rewriting Trek canon, he's gonna lose a lot of support, fast. The whole pissed off Spock fighting Kirk on the bridge over a disagreement probably feeds off of Spock's half-human aspects, but it still does not get my approval.
  2. Shinzon makes the new villain (Nero, is it?) look like a wimp....and Shinzon was probably the second wimpiest movie villain of all trek films
  3. This movie is looking more and more like it belongs on the former WB
  4. The Red Alert noise is a century too early
  5. James T. Kirk is not a rebel without a cause. Stop portraying him that way. Kirk is half badass, half sex symbol. Sort of like a Sean Connery James Bond. Yes, he doesn't like to play by the rules, but Kirk's unconventionality is rooted in his cleverness and wit.
  6. I am afraid this movie will take the same path the new Superman movie did, and kill off any future hopes for another movie.

I only saw it once (same, at Quantum of Solace) too. It looks more like a comic book movie than most of Star Trek has. I'm not sure how to take that. It might be worth a watch, but I can't say I'll want to see more movies like it.

That, and I'm sick of the old school Star Trek, TNG was by far the best Star Trek. Bring back the Borg. Make them meaner, tougher. Show us a movie with a full-scale planetary invasion, not just one or two battles. There's so much that could be done with Star Trek, that the most disappointing part is that they aren't doing it.

They keep doing prequels which is stupid. Nobody cares about how shit first started. People wanna see things moving forward into the future. They had a potentially awesome story plot that they hinted at in Insurrection regarding a withering Federation and enemies slowly nipping at the UFP's toes. This is such foreshadowing of an all out collapse of the federation and a full scale war. Not sure why they never followed through on that

had absolutely no idea this was out. overall it looks a bit lame to me, hope im wrong!

Yeah... My fist thought was, uh oh. :lol:
The opening scene with the corvette was nice, but overall I'm not sure I'm going to be sold on how they try to modernize the look that was made in the 60's.
That's why I think they should've just pushed canon aside a little bit and ditched the spandex jumpsuits and used the look they used in the 80's.

The opening scene with the corvette was nice, but overall I'm not sure I'm going to be sold on how they try to modernize the look that was made in the 60's.
That's why I think they should've just pushed canon aside a little bit and ditched the spandex jumpsuits and used the look they used in the 80's.

Oo spandex jumpsuits /giggle

I see where a lot of people are coming from with their comments but I think that Star Trek always lacked grit. That trailer showed actual grit in the ST universe and even if it throws canon out the window I'll take it. I do think that Kirk should be a little older looking. It takes the whole "youngest captain in Star Fleet" a little far.

Back