Snow Tire Chains?!

Darein

Retired SWG Bounty Hunter
I bought a pair of SAE class S tire chains for my Nissan Sentra's front two tires (you aren't supposed to put any on the back 2 for my car). And yeah, they are currently on my car, and they help quite a bit for traction.

Anyway, I'm wondering - Can I leave them on all winter (AKA as long as there is snow on the ground), or do I want to take them off every day I'm done driving and clean them off? Or maybe just once a week, as long as there is snow?

The manual thingy said to clean them off with hot water and stuff to keep them from rusting. I'm just curious how often I need to actually do that, especially when it could mean taking the chains off and putting them on again and again.

People over here have them on all the time and it works well. Never tried it myself tho. Ask the people where you bought them, they should know :)

Most people have wintertires with dubbs (sp?) on their cars over here. But people far out in the country have the snow chains.

Chains on your tires?. l2driveinsnow.

chains = more traction = better acceleration

yeah, i have all-season tires, but they've failed me before

with chains, I don't get stuck as often in my parking space either

plus, I might have to go through snowqualmie pass on my christmas trip, they usually *require* chains so...

oh, ya you be needing the chains. If your going to be constantly driving in snow I would just leave them on and maybe take them off once every two weeks to make sure there not all screwed up.

I've taken to checking them every time before I drive, to make sure they're on nice and tight (or at least as tight as it seems i can get them), and not too far off-center.

Chains on your tires?. l2driveinsnow.

not every place on earth is as flat and boring as MN. :) Some of us live in places like Oregon, with gorges so large their simply called "the Gorge" and require chains for the passage of cars during the winter months. Also, we get freak winter storms in years like 2008 and suddenly ODOT requires chains.

Darein: I would give them a wash once a week if your city uses a lot of salt on the roads. Other wise just clean them up when they get full of crud or muck. Check your cords (or whatever you're using to secure them) daily b/c if those things pop off the chains will pwn your wheel wells in about about 30 seconds.

LOL Oregon is a shit hole, and they've outlawed chains here because their for noobs. This ain't California we don't cancel school and shit because of cold or snow. And we damn sure don't need tires to drive in the snow for traction.

So which part of Oregon are you talking about the part that gets 5-10 feet of snow and requires snowmobiles to get anywhere? I do agree that Oregon is a shit hole though. To many hippies around here.

Okay Vaki you're at least mostly right, because according to Les Schwab I shouldn't even bother with them except when I go through the mountain pass. LOL

I hate sliding though XD Oh well. I think I'll go out tomorrow and practice some snow driving - without the chains.

Good news is I now know how easy it is to put these chains on. Maybe some chains are hard to put on, but the ones I bought have this drawstring that makes it pretty easy.

Last edited:
Back