• Skill Based (like SWG)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Level Based (like WoW or EQ2)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Jerbaka

How do you like your MMOs? My friends and I are working on a crappy no-budget one using the Realmcrafter engine, and would like some feed back as to whether people like skill based or level based systems. As of now, we are thinking of going skill based, becuase usually it brings more diversity to characters, and is generally more fun than just leveling up.

Any feedback would be great ^_^

(the game is a modern zombie survival type game where players can be zombies or survivors)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerbaka @ Jan 23 2006, 03:03 AM) [snapback]33057[/snapback][/center]
(the game is a modern zombie survival type game where players can be zombies or survivors)
[/b]

you rock!

yeah, I don't know shit for programming, but my friend who bought it has some pretty basic knowledge and says that with some work he will be able to make this thing do pretty much whatever we have in mind.

It is really customizable, which is the nice thing. Everything it comes with is basically for a medieval setting, but with some tweaking and new models, it should work fine in a modern setting.

Really we are just trying to make a game that people can log into and have some good PvP action.

I voted for skill based, but I disagree with your example above.

SWG is now completely based upon COMBAT LEVEL and LEVEL PROGRESSION. Has nothing to do with skillz anymore... :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SNASQUATCH @ Jan 23 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]33239[/snapback][/center]
I voted for skill based, but I disagree with your example above.

SWG is now completely based upon COMBAT LEVEL and LEVEL PROGRESSION. Has nothing to do with skillz anymore... :(
[/b]

heh, yeah, forgot about that. I don't even consider the NGE SWG, so I was referring to pre-cu and cu.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noahTHEpurdy @ Jan 23 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]33236[/snapback][/center]
I'd like the name of whoever voted level based so that I may cut their throat.
[/b]
qfe

I chose other for the simple fact that my definition of "skill based" might not be the same as yours. I prefer the skill of the person behind the screen, not the skills he has ingame. You should have to know how to use your character, not how to hit buttons like everyone else.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Akieo @ Jan 23 2006, 04:28 AM) [snapback]33274[/snapback][/center]
WoW is skill based and level based, because you get a talent tree =P
[/b]
However, it's still based on level. You can't fight alone against beings 3 or 4 levels above you. And thus making it level based.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LilHammie @ Jan 23 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]33671[/snapback][/center]
I chose other for the simple fact that my definition of "skill based" might not be the same as yours. I prefer the skill of the person behind the screen, not the skills he has ingame. You should have to know how to use your character, not how to hit buttons like everyone else.
[/b]
He is not talking of that kind of skill. In that case, any game is based on the skill of the person. Some people are better than others in any game, depending in which ability they have more developed than others.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Jan 24 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]33680[/snapback][/center]
However, it's still based on level. You can't fight alone against beings 3 or 4 levels above you. And thus making it level based.
He is not talking of that kind of skill. In that case, any game is based on the skill of the person. Some people are better than others in any game, depending in which ability they have more developed than others.
[/b]
True, but when everyone is a cookie anyone can beat anyone on any given day. When everyone is different and you have to master a fighting style to stay alive longer in my opinion that is a true show of skill.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LilHammie @ Jan 23 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]33684[/snapback][/center]
True, but when everyone is a cookie anyone can beat anyone on any given day. When everyone is different and you have to master a fighting style to stay alive longer in my opinion that is a true show of skill.
[/b]
Aww hammie, think about it. He is asking for Skill, as a character skills, not about the player skills. How to build up the character, do you like it more like grinding and gaining a level. Or grinding and building your character with the skills available to you at that certain moment?

The poll is not asking for player skills. So disregard it for the time being. :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Jan 24 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]33690[/snapback][/center]
Aww hammie, think about it. He is asking for Skill, as a character skills, not about the player skills. How to build up the character, do you like it more like grinding and gaining a level. Or grinding and building your character with the skills available to you at that certain moment?

The poll is not asking for player skills. So disregard it for the time being. :mellow:
[/b]
I know. Thats why I chose other :p

thanks everyone for the feedback ^_^

looks like we will go with our original plan and work and a system with skill trees, etc, kinda like old SWG.

I know what you mean Hammie, and thanks Artica ^_^

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerbaka @ Jan 23 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]33761[/snapback][/center]
thanks everyone for the feedback ^_^

looks like we will go with our original plan and work and a system with skill trees, etc, kinda like old SWG.

I know what you mean Hammie, and thanks Artica ^_^
[/b]
You are most welcome :p

People confuse skill with skill ~giggle~

Back