Say goodbye to any good games ever coming out of T2/Rockstar

Stavrose

Fried Yoda
Staff member
EA's bid for Take-Two just became hostile. Thanks for fucking gamers in the ass once more, EA. Just how most of you here who hate SOE, I hate EA, but for more realistic and logical reasons, instead of something like the NGE. Midas turned everything he touched into gold. EA turns everything it acquires into shit. Here's a list of awesome gaming companies that EA greedily snatched up then tossed like a one-night-stand whore:

• Westwood Studios (Comand & Conquer series)
  • Bullfrog Productions (Sim ThemePark, SimCoaster, Populous)
  • Origin (Ultima, Ultima Online, Wing Commander series)
  • Mythic Entertainment (cannibalized by EA, but hasn't produced anything remotely good since DAoC. Warhammer Online is it's next big project)
  • Maxis (cannibalized by EA, has yet to produce anything good. Spore is it's next decent looking project. And no, Sims2 was not EA, it was Maxis acting on its own while sitting under the EA tent.)

EA acquired them in '92 but they operated independently. The first truly EA release of any Origin game was Wing Commander Arena. Think of it as YouTube being owned by Google but all Google does is reap in the profits. Everything is still run by the YouTube team.

Ahh I wasn't sure, I was just a kid back then. :p

Too bad they fucked up that series. /sigh

They do make a good sports game however. :p

God Wing Commander Arena was a fucking terrible abortion of a Wing Commander game. I gotta agree with Stav here, fuck EA and the horse they rode in on.

What's dumber is blacklisting a company for one mistake. SWG does not = SOE. About a fourth of SOE's total subscriber base actually gave a shit about the NGE. SOE has done an awesome job with EQ2 in regards to reversing its downward spiral early on. EQ was another great accomplishment of SOE. The upcoming voice chat system SOE revealed is another great feature SOE has brought. The new spy-based MMO (its name escapes me right now) looks like a bad ass casual game. I hardly see how ruining ONE game is a logical and realistic reason to hate an entire company. (humor begins here)Unless of course your ignorant, and if you're ignorant you're most likely a racist. Take your cross-burning hood-wearing KKK antics out of Wanderhomies, you racist! (humor ends here)

Ahh I wasn't sure, I was just a kid back then. :p

Too bad they fucked up that series. /sigh

They do make a good sports game however. :p
Yeah, no doubt EA's flagship is its EA Sports studio. That I give them credit to...except for all the Fifa games which are horse shit :D

Yes, you all hear that Sony != SOE, however they both have SONY in their name, so they're related (cousins or something).

SOE fucked up with SWG, made EQ2 very shitty, and Sony put a rootkit on CDs which compromised security.

I don't buy Sony products because of it.

I don't buy ATI products because of their shitty Mach 64 back in the day.

I don't shop at futureshop any longer because they refused the honor a warranty on a $20 pair of headset.

I could go on. :p

I would love to find an alternative to creative products because of the shitty support creative has.

Yeah I saw that, and it's horse shit. They won't stop there either, they'll try to get Ubisoft again then go after someone else until they've assimilated every company under their banner and there is no competition. Honestly Take 2 should stick it to EA and sell the rights to GTA.

As for SOE, if you think it's just SWG, you're not looking at the big picture. As Ackis stated, they've ruined a lot of games and in a sense they are the EA version for the MMO market. They gobble up any MMO they can get their hands on and have yet to produce anything successful.

Video games aren't about producing quality games anymore. It's about making a pretty looking next generation Pong and then finding ways of charging an ass load of money for it; then find ways of milking the crap they produce and getting more money out of the gamer. Is it gamers fault we keep buying crap? Sure, to an extent, but when we're continuously told how great the newest game is and game sites we trust to give us an honest and unbiased view, turn out to be bought off to produce great reviews, gamers can only do so much.

EQ2 has made a big turnaround. Late 2005 SOE invested heavily in fixing that game. It's actually reversed its downward subscription spiral and is being looked at in a positive light again. For a 4 year old game, it's a good sign if its subscriptions are seeing a steady rise of 50k over one year.

The only other games that SOE took over were Vanguard and MxO. Vanguard was a disaster before SOE took it over. There's no way to fix that game, so you can't put the blame on SOE. MxO was a sitting duck from day 1 with Warner. SOE can't take the blame for that, either. I truly believe The Agency will be the next successful title out of SOE (the last successful title being EQ2). So SOE has gobbled up two MMOs. Both of them were on self-destruct prior to acquisition. EA's acquisitions were of GOOD studios with GOOD franchises and games. That's the main difference.

I agree with you on the lack of quality coming from games nowadays. There are a handful of developers out there that are aiming in the right direction though. But it is hard to gain much exposure in an industry where the big studios capitalize on outdated stereotypes of game genres. Lets face it, no MMO that's coming up is innovative. Age of Conan is not innovative. WoW was not innovative. PoBS is not innovative. They're all the same level-based or skill-based product in a shiny new container. Why? Because those two views have been set in stone when it comes to MMOs. FPSes are all the same. Halo got old after Halo 1. Sorry, Halo 2 and 3 sucked major balls. What's so different about Halo 3 multiplayer than makes it better than Halo multiplayer? Nothing.

But like I said, there are a handful of developers who are taking things in the right direction. Raph Koster is trying to redefine the MMO with Metaplace, but unfortunately he has drifted into Second Life wannabe territory. Assassin's Creed and Heavenly sword were great sandbox games. They're just a small glimpse of what can be unleashed if the right minds are put to work on a project. I think Alan Wake is going in the right direction in making a video game into an art, something few games have ever done successfully (Max Payne, TLJ & Dreamfall). Speaking of TLJ and Dreamfall, Ragnar Tornquist's next MMO is definitely sounding kickass. The Secret World already has players interacting with the game, and the game was only announced 6 months ago! Anyway, I'm rambling again. Time to stop :D

The NGE isn't a logical and realistic(?) reason to hate SOE? That's among the dumber things I've ever heard.
Stav said "more realistic and logical", which means it's a relative statement. Perhaps the justification is that EA has screwed up multiple genres and multiple previously-good companies that it acquired, not just a few games in a few genres.

Personally I think NGE is more a reason to laugh one's fucking ass off at SOE than to hate them, although it did make me angry for quite a long time.

What's dumber is blacklisting a company for one mistake.
One mistake?
  • They didn't query the players to see what we wanted.
  • They implemented a system they knew would piss off the current fan base so that they could target a new fan base.
  • They knowingly lied to the public about the Mustafar expansion, advertising features they knew would no longer exist 2 weeks into the expansion. For perhaps the first time in history a game developer had to offer refunds as a result of this.
  • They created a horrible system that no one liked.
  • They made jedi a starting class.
  • They didn't apologize until like a year later.
They didn't just ruin one game with one mistake. They lied to their customers and falsely advertised their products. It's only the unprecedented event of offering a refund to the customers they lied to that kept them from being class-action sued into the ground. SWG is only one game, but these decisions were made by people in control of all their games.

This is a dirty company which showed no gratitude nor loyalty to its customers, and instead left us for the almighty dollar. Worse, they couldn't even get that right.

One mistake?
  • They knowingly lied to the public about the Mustafar expansion, advertising features they knew would no longer exist 2 weeks into the expansion. For perhaps the first time in history a game developer had to offer refunds as a result of this.

Jedi in the original game weren't added until 6 months later or something?

Same with Frogloks in EQ2.

What did they do with this expansion?

oooh future shop...
I have SUCH a hate-on for those bastards but with Wulf's help in the end I got my revenge and it was sweet.

i agree wit most of your points about EA, except many people consider EA to have improved the CnC series (pure pwnage for instance).

And EA Big have done some awesome games in their time, the earlier SSX series (up to 3) massive critical successes.

Back