oem windows

whewa

i was thinking about purchasing an oem version of windows xp. Does anyone know that if since I have the disk, can I install this on a couple of computers, even though technically shouldn't :p. I know that when you have a recovery system on your harddrive you must have the same components, but if i have the version with a disk it should be all fine right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Aug 22 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]108731[/snapback][/center]
i was thinking about purchasing an oem version of windows xp. Does anyone know that if since I have the disk, can I install this on a couple of computers, even though technically shouldn't :p. I know that when you have a recovery system on your harddrive you must have the same components, but if i have the version with a disk it should be all fine right?
[/b]
From what I have heard windows doesn't care if you install their product on a few PC's or a PC and a laptop or some combination of that for personal use. It is if they see a company using one copy on 50 computers at a business that upsets them

who is the oem? if it is a dell oem you can put that os on any machine that is dell but it will not work on any other manufacturer. I believe that is the same for all companies. If you are serious though go on bit torrent and download a Universal License Key version of sp professional (home sucks ass) and get a key, if not i have a few send a pm :)

No, it's OEM software Ker-ri not hardware. You can get a cheaper version of Windows with a piece of hardware (wire ftw?). It's like $100 less.

Also, I've seen Windows tech support get ancy. Apparently the software can be installed twice. I haven't seen what happens after that.

OK I get this all the time cos I sell it. But this is for UK but should be the same.

Techincally - 1 PC - Windows code. If you have the CD you just need the code.
2 PCs - 2 codes :rolleyes:
MS have cracked down big time on pirate XP codes.

Microsoft now have a Validation tool which is part of the Windows Update and compulsary to download to get updates, media player 11 etc.
If it recognises that you have a code used before then it brings up a pop-up every hour or so and maybe even deactivates your machine? Don't know but it's annoying.

I have sold so many XP discs (we sell OEM) over the last few months cos of this.
They can also query if you reinstall your own copy a few times for security. It asks you to call them. Obviously people reinstall and usually you explain and its ok.

But don't expect a used key to work and you may even have problems with key changers? I've avoided downloading the tool so far so I can't say if mine would have problems or not. :unsure:

Yes miss Tiv I know :p and yes you can BUT OEM copies of win xp can only be sold with a new PC (according to the rules) or it has to be purchased with the intent of putting on a new PC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Aug 22 2006, 06:19 AM) [snapback]108850[/snapback][/center]
No, it's OEM software Ker-ri not hardware. You can get a cheaper version of Windows with a piece of hardware (wire ftw?). It's like $100 less.

Also, I've seen Windows tech support get ancy. Apparently the software can be installed twice. I haven't seen what happens after that.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Aug 22 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]109147[/snapback][/center]
Yes miss Tiv I know :p and yes you can BUT OEM copies of win xp can only be sold with a new PC (according to the rules) or it has to be purchased with the intent of putting on a new PC.
[/b]
Um yes :shifty: That is very true :shifty:
They keep changing it. We sell it with a piece of hardware for free.
A crap PS2 mouse is hardware isn't it? :shifty: :devil:

K thanks for everyones thoughts...I think I'll go with buying the oem version from newegg, hopefully it goes alright

Back