no local area connection

whewa

Hey, I am working on my last computer finally (YES!). Everything is working (this one has sound!) except i am unable to connect to the internet. When I go into the network connections there is no connections at all, its just blank. How am i suppose to do anything, I have even turned off my firewall and still nothing. Everything seems to be connected, i checked all the cables and the router is all hooked up, my other computer can get on the net from this cable, but this computer can't. Can anyone help me out, i've been working for 3 days on these computers and I am really losing my cool, and am very stress/frustrated.

thanks to anyone who helps!

well, no i just figured you might have an extra one lying around somewhere ( i have like 4 or 5 lying around my house lol) anyway how is your network setup?

i just have a router, i just want internet connection, normally i just plug it in and it works

well go into netowrk connections for local area connection click on properties and if the tcp/ip protocol insnt installed go to install click protocol then click tcp/ip and if it is installed put it on obtain ip address automatically and obtain dns server automatically

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Jan 2 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]20960[/snapback][/center]
well, no i just figured you might have an extra one lying around somewhere ( i have like 4 or 5 lying around my house lol) anyway how is your network setup?
[/b]
Create a new connection...

when you do, right click and look at the properties. Click on Configure, and make sure the device is enabled at the bottom.

See if that helps...

no no, see thats the problem :), there is no actual connection, like there isn't anything to click on, the network connections is empty, I am wondering where it has gone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Jan 2 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]20968[/snapback][/center]
no no, see thats the problem :), there is no actual connection, like there isn't anything to click on, the network connections is empty, I am wondering where it has gone
[/b]
in Network Connections there should be an icon to create a connection... or you have no create connection icon?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djmtott @ Jan 2 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]20969[/snapback][/center]
in Network Connections there should be an icon to create a connection... or you have no create connection icon?
[/b]
Depending on your computer settings, the create icon should be on the left, next to the empty folder...

yeah I do but see, i have constant internet connection, when I saw to make a new connection using these settings it says the connection should already be there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Jan 2 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]20970[/snapback][/center]
yeah I do but see, i have constant internet connection, when I saw to make a new connection using these settings it says the connection should already be there.
[/b]
Keep trying... change a setting or two when you try to create a new connection. I'll be home from work in about 2 hours... I'd be able to help more from a computer I actually have permissions on...

ok fixed it, it did need a new network card, i guess the port on the mobo crapped out, but now my old gateway can't hook up to the net :(

now that i can get on the net, it won't let me activate windows because the product key has been used too many times, does anyone care to help me around this....it is windows xp home edition....

man, i can't afford a new copy just for a computer i was going to use in my basement to store all my music and surf the net on

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Jan 3 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]20997[/snapback][/center]
man, i can't afford a new copy just for a computer i was going to use in my basement to store all my music and surf the net on
[/b]

Got 30 days to find one... I only have a windows xp pro cd key, don't think mine will work for home.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Akieo @ Jan 2 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]20999[/snapback][/center]
Got 30 days to find one... I only have a windows xp pro cd key, don't think mine will work for home.
[/b]

Akieos a n00b

um, wait, you said blank as in no in no network connections? cause if you have none try to create a new one. I had one that did the same, the folder was just empty, and then i created a new network connection, and it worked. but then it stopped working like 2 days later.... and i still dontknow why

Reset your router or if you also have a cable modem unplug the battery, wait a couple of seconds, and plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall router drivers, it'll detect and set up a connection automatically.

Back