Issue With DSL

Zampy

i have an issue with the internet i have in the house i'm renting at for the summer in cali. the modem is made by SBC, and subsequent dsl service is provided by sbc/yahoo/at&t. every 5 or 10 minutes, depending on the day, the connection will cut out on me and i'll have to unplug the phone line from the wall jack and replug it. sbc says it's not an issue on their end, so i'm wondering what is causing it. i *think* it might be the wall jack itself, since it looks like two of the four golden prongs are broken in it. or it might be the wireless radio transmitter next to the modem. or the fridge being on the same ac circuit. or shitty ISP. i've tried solutions to everything except the wall jack so far. anyone else have any ideas? and dont say get cable, cause there are no providers for it out here

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zampy @ May 29 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]82497[/snapback][/center]
i have an issue with the internet i have in the house i'm renting at for the summer in cali. the modem is made by SBC, and subsequent dsl service is provided by sbc/yahoo/at&t. every 5 or 10 minutes, depending on the day, the connection will cut out on me and i'll have to unplug the phone line from the wall jack and replug it. sbc says it's not an issue on their end, so i'm wondering what is causing it. i *think* it might be the wall jack itself, since it looks like two of the four golden prongs are broken in it. or it might be the wireless radio transmitter next to the modem. or the fridge being on the same ac circuit. or shitty ISP. i've tried solutions to everything except the wall jack so far. anyone else have any ideas? and dont say get cable, cause there are no providers for it out here
[/b]

Does it happen when the phone rings ? You could have a bad filter attached to a phone line somewhere

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zampy @ May 29 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]82497[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

check your filter
and definitely check the wall jack

if you power cycle the dsl will it work properly?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zampy @ May 29 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]82506[/snapback][/center]
the phone doesn't ring, and define power cycle the dsl?
[/b]

while computer is up and running
power cylcing the dsl is where you pull the power cord from the back of the dsl (leavin phone line & ethernet cable connected) wait about 60 seconds and then reconnect power cord
i have verizon dsl and at times when i have had issues the tech peeps have had me do this

Oh when I had dsl a long time ago I had a problem with it cutting out everyknow and then. Part of it has to do with the filter the other part is, if you have a cordless phone or something similar running at 900mhz it will sometimes interfere with the modem.

Back