Hey Timi

Stavrose

Fried Yoda
Staff member
Seems like my claims against Game-Nerds were true after all:

0634ed3b52.jpg

Timi, you need to learn that Joomla/Fireboard is teh suck. Use Elxis. It is 10000% more stable, and it is open source, and it is free, and it uses SMF as a forum.

Believe me I hate fireboard and to a point i want to choke the shit out of joomla, but right now its the CMS thats really supported out there right now. I could integrate smf with joomla, but would have to use a bridge, and let me tell ya that is not fun if something goes wrong.

Well screw the bridge, I just read on the smf site that Joomla will no longer support bridges from joomla to smf because the joomla team has declared that it violates the GPL license. These guys are really startin to piss me off. They were all about freedom and choice, but now that they've gotten popular and widely used, they are acting like a bunch of nazi's.

seriously, check out elxis. It may be created and run by a bunch of Greeks, but they have a decent fanbase and support base. I'm pretty sure if you tell them a fellow Greek referred you they'd give you a little extra help. And by extra help I mean an ass ramming.

Elxis is really clean, stable, and runs SMF natively. Run a test site on a subfolder just to see how you like it. It's free to download and use.

www.elxis.org

I'm takin a look at it, have a test site set up. Not bad, but it doesn't run SMF natively. It still needs a bridge to be able to use it and they don't have a bridge for 2008, which I think is part of the GPL license BS that is going on with Joomla.

seriously, check out elxis. It may be created and run by a bunch of Greeks, but they have a decent fanbase and support base. I'm pretty sure if you tell them a fellow Greek referred you they'd give you a little extra help. And by extra help I mean an ass ramming.

Elxis is really clean, stable, and runs SMF natively. Run a test site on a subfolder just to see how you like it. It's free to download and use.

www.elxis.org
I knew I should have dated a Greek man :(

Timi, it might have to do with SMF licensing then. However, a workaround would be to adjust the SMF template to make it look like it is part of the site.

No, their ass ramming only involves other men. In their culture women are for breeding and men are for fun.
I make cute babies, but I am hell to deal with pregnant. I'll leave the Greek men for all the men I suppose :( I am disappointed to say the least.

Timi, it might have to do with SMF licensing then. However, a workaround would be to adjust the SMF template to make it look like it is part of the site.

Yeah, but that leaves one of two options. Take out the site login and only use the smf login, which excludes anything site related such as user groups (which I don't see much use for anyways) or force dual logins, one for the site and one for the forums, which isn't very conducive.

Yes, but doesn't the SMF bridge extension download link the accounts? AKA, one login sitewide? I was under that impression, and that if you wanted to use the forum it would be it's own little standalone page. without any evidence of Elxis, even though its databases are linked

Yes, but doesn't the SMF bridge extension download link the accounts? AKA, one login sitewide? I was under that impression, and that if you wanted to use the forum it would be it's own little standalone page. without any evidence of Elxis, even though its databases are linked

That's what I'm getting at. Elxis does not provide a bridge for their 2008RC. So, you would have to have dual logins for the site and SMF. Anything that I see relevant to a bridge was a couple of years ago and have not been able to track down the actual bridge.

I haven't tried it, but just from browsing the site http://www.modxcms.com/ looks neat, and has an SMF bridge to it (although i've seen it use vBulletin as well). It looks extremely customizable from all the sites i saw in their forums (they have a section for users to post their sites).

In my search I keep running across shitty CMS programs only because they're popular (Joomla, Drupal, PHP-Fusion, PHP-Nuke, etc). It's hard to find a decent CMS that isn't an enterprise solution.

Well, the main problem is that it's open source, so it's not going to be professional grade. The second being is that it's designed off of php. If I had the time and resources I'd just take a html/flash site and dreamweaver the shit out of it, but since I don't want a second full time job, I'll make do with what is out there.

As shitty as Drupal is, it's actually hella better than Joomla, only downside is the community is much smaller.

Back