HD TV's need help!

Timi

So, I've decided in a few months that I'm gonna get a HDTV...problem being, I know nothing about what's good brand wise, good specs, and if you can get a good one at a decent price?

HELP!

I suggest Samsung. I've had experience with HDTVs from Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Sony, and Visio. Samsung has been the absolute best when it comes to flatscreens and HD, in my personal opinion. I helped my cousin purchase a Samsung for his home a couple months back, and he's absolutely loved it and has 0 complaints. Currently I'm helping this sports bar that is owned by the same people I work for find and chose flatscreens (they're replacing all 50+ tvs that they have).

Your major concern at this moment though should not be brand, but what kind of HDTV do you want. First off, make sure it has true 1080i/p capabilities. Cheap Walk-Mart companies like Visio only emulate 1080i. Next, decide between LCD, Plasma, and DLP. If it is for home use, I recommend either Plasma or DLP. There is of course a newer technology of HD flatscreens that is coming out within a year or two that will completely blow current technologies out of the water, but it will be a good 5-10 years down the line before it can become affordable (just like it took current flatscreens to reach the sub $2000 price range).

All three types have their pros and cons. Don't listen to anyone who says which one is best for you. Only you know which one is best tailored for your needs. Some people are freaks about getting true shades of black, so they go with plasma. For others, longevity is the most important aspect they're looking for so they go with LCD. Do some research on the pros and cons of all three: LCD, Plasma, and DLP.

Regardless which one you choose, I'd still stick with Samsung. It gives you the most bang for your buck. Sony is good, but it is still new to the whole flatscreen, so i wouldn't be surprised if some features are lacking or there are some bugs in it's TVs. LG and Panasonic are pretty mainstream, good for commercial grade. There isn't anything special about the last two.

Hope this helps, Timi

My computer flatscreens both are Samsung. My TV is Sony... but then... I got it over 6 years ago. :p But will go for a Samsung TV next time for sure. ^_^

If you are dropping cash to get a HDTV get a LCD, not Plasma or DLP.

Plasma is too expensive for equal picture quality, and DLPs have drop off concerns (if you are not watching at the right angle the TV image fades). LCD is the best quality and cost with no drop-off and it is as thin as DLP.

Unless you are getting into +50" range, than there is no question that LCD is the way to go. Samsung is an excellent choice for it too (the new Sharp line is actually very nice too).

My dad just bought himself a toshiba 46" lcd hdtv, looks great.

One thing i noticed when we were deciding which one to get was that most LCD tvs have problems with black colors i.e their blacks are just a very dark grey. This isnt a problem if the source is HD though. Really wierd.

Oh, and that 1080p stuff is bullshit. No visible difference between that and 1080i, and hardly any difference from 720p. This is especially true in video games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sovi @ Jan 6 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]138480[/snapback][/center]
Oh, and that 1080p stuff is bullshit. No visible difference between that and 1080i, and hardly any difference from 720p. This is especially true in video games.
[/b]

I notice a HUGE difference between 1080i and 1080p (remember 1080i is essentially the same as 540p, to me 1080i looks on par with a regular 480p DVD), but I can't tell 720p apart from 1080p though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 6 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]138482[/snapback][/center]
I notice a HUGE difference between 1080i and 1080p (remember 1080i is essentially the same as 540p, to me 1080i looks on par with a regular 480p DVD), but I can't tell 720p apart from 1080p though.
[/b]

Fair enough, but the reason I say it's especially true in video games is because instead of using the processing power for a higher resolution, they are able to use it for other more important things (weather etc)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sovi @ Jan 6 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]138484[/snapback][/center]
Fair enough, but the reason I say it's especially true in video games is because instead of using the processing power for a higher resolution, they are able to use it for other more important things (weather etc)
[/b]

Yeah, you're right. I was talking mostly about movies/TV. It matters far less for console games, it comes down to programming and development as opposed to resolution.

The two leaders at the current in HD TV Technology are Samsung and Sony@

Samsung have sensational colour correction, and other clear view features with contrast ratios to match.

Sony has many patented technologies not including the Digital Image sharping, and comparable contrast ratios to Samsung.

Needless to say it not worth buying a 1080 right now, because nothing actually is broadcast or produced for the resolution everything is just upscalled to cater for it.

If you need any information about Sony I can get you anything you need.

In regards to Curse is comments, Please back them up.

I have a 7 meter Projection pannel, with a Sony HD Projector, supported by Sony THX Amplifier at 7:1 surround sound.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...inema+Projector

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Jan 6 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]138494[/snapback][/center]
The two leaders at the current in HD TV Technology are Samsung and Sony@

Samsung have sensational colour correction, and other clear view features with contrast ratios to match.

Sony has many patented technologies not including the Digital Image sharping, and comparable contrast ratios to Samsung.

Needless to say it not worth buying a 1080 right now, because nothing actually is broadcast or produced for the resolution everything is just upscalled to cater for it.

If you need any information about Sony I can get you anything you need.

In regards to Curse is comments, Please back them up.

I have a 7 meter Projection pannel, with a Sony HD Projector, supported by Sony THX Amplifier at 7:1 surround sound.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...inema+Projector
[/b]

Simple, SOE is a part of SONY and SOE fucked my favorite game up therefore I won't get another SONY product again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Jan 6 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]138496[/snapback][/center]
Simple, SOE is a part of SONY and SOE fucked my favorite game up therefore I won't get another SONY product again.
[/b]

That's all I wanted to know, as I thought you new something about a Sony product that I didn't.

Like I said above Samsung and Sony, are at the forefront of the HD Revolution, and with the creation of the new DVD Creation machine the format war is over, and BD/HD DvD players will be out before June.

Happy Days for the Consumer I say. :blush:

My Projector again: http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/entertainment/...ready_projector

:p :p :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Jan 6 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]138497[/snapback][/center]
Like I said above Samsung and Sony, are at the forefront of the HD Revolution, and with the creation of the new DVD Creation machine the format war is over, and BD/HD DvD players will be out before June.

[/b]

Then again, there was never a format war to begin with. Half the studios sided with HD-DVD, and the other half used Blu-ray. In order for there to be any sort of war they need to be releasing the same thing on different formats, which isn't happening.

Meh give it a year or two and you'll see combo HD-DVD and Blue-Ray players... Just like DVD+R and DVD-R :p

And as for Curse's sony comment, the same thing has influenced my purchasing. The only thing I say when I go into a store is that it cannot be a Sony. /shrug :p

Back