Happy Ash Wednesday i think

Stavrose

Fried Yoda
Staff member
So i'm seeing a bunch of people around campus with big ash marks on their foreheads. I'm guessing it is Ash Wednesday. So if you celebrate it, happy ash wednesday. And since we're talking about ashes, Greek lawmakers made cremation legal again in Greece.

Its not a practiced by the Orthodox church. Church and State are not separate in greece. Seperation of church and state would be a proposal that would be laughed at, since about 99% of Greece's population is Greek Orthodox

I actually find it pretty amazing that they would go to such lengths for 1% of the population that isn't Greek Orthodox. before this legislation, they had to ship the bodies out of the country to get them cremated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ruler-jimbo @ Mar 1 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]52635[/snapback][/center]
no, i got them at school..its ash wednesday :p
[/b]
What does that means?

catholic (or maybe all christian) holiday...where you burn the palms from last year..and its the first day of lent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ksynia @ Mar 2 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]52691[/snapback][/center]
Why exactally do you not eat meat anyway? I never understood that...
[/b]
because jesus fasted for forty days in the desert and lent is 40 days long..and it used to be you couldnt eat meat throught all of lent..but they changed it because it was too harsh..i think

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ruler-jimbo @ Mar 1 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]52622[/snapback][/center]
i have ashes on my head :)
[/b]
Getting drunk and passing out in an ashtray is not celebrating Ash Wednesday.

And usually you just have to give up "something" for lent.

Ever seen 40 days and 40 nights? (awesome movie go get it!)

Though...I got to say these days always make me feel humbled. I only have to give up sugar. Jesus had to give up his life.

Back