End of HD-DVD is near...

BananaMan

Taken from http://wesleytech.com/ces-hd-dvd-event-canceled-due-to-warner-announcement/483/

"I just received an email from the HD DVD Promotion Group stating that the CES 2008 HD DVD press event has been canceled. The recent Blu-ray exclusive announcement from Warner is cited as the reason for the cancellation. You can find the full text of the notice below.

“Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference scheduled for Sunday, January 6th at 8:30 p.m. in the Wynn Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD’s commitment to quality and affordability – a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format.

We’ll continue to keep you updated on new developments around HD DVD.”"

New Line Cinema are already in talks with Sony. :D

As for HD-DVD coking the Press conference, well that's just a sign of not having shit to say. In other words they're royally fucked.:eek:

Last edited:
<-- Does not care. I for one don't care about the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray war as I don't buy movies I just download them. Besides DvD quality is just fine for me it looks great I don't really see how they could improve something that looks better than real life vision to me.

i still think i'll stay with hd-dvd, i got it in my shinny new x200 laptop. As for what curse said hd-dvd dont seem to improve quality that much.

You get more special features due to a larger filesize and you have your menu overlaying the film (you dont have to divert the film to route to the main menu it just displays over the film which is cool)

Sony had gone nuclear in the "Format War."

$500 million is what Sony "allegedly" paid to Warner's to go exclusively Blu-Ray (same as the Fox deal). The buyouts that Blockbuster and Target received are still unknown. But expect more similar "sudden" announcements to follow over the next year.

HD-DVD stand alone players outselling Blu-ray over the past year, by as much as 10 to 1 must have had something to do with it.

This issue will end shortly, and this is how Sony is going to end it.

Is this the end of HD-DVD? Doubtful. It is still the superior format for consumers and is supported by Microsoft. Odds are, it will likely end up the computer standard.

<-- Does not care. I for one don't care about the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray war as I don't buy movies I just download them. Besides DvD quality is just fine for me it looks great I don't really see how they could improve something that looks better than real life vision to me.

Whay about 7.1 Sound? etc

You have low standards.

Sony had gone nuclear in the "Format War."

$500 million is what Sony "allegedly" paid to Warner's to go exclusively Blu-Ray (same as the Fox deal). The buyouts that Blockbuster and Target received are still unknown. But expect more similar "sudden" announcements to follow over the next year.

HD-DVD stand alone players outselling Blu-ray over the past year, by as much as 10 to 1 must have had something to do with it.

This issue will end shortly, and this is how Sony is going to end it.

Is this the end of HD-DVD? Doubtful. It is still the superior format for consumers and is supported by Microsoft. Odds are, it will likely end up the computer standard.

Please provide proof of your statements, Thank You :D

You have low standards.
Well if I ever get a surround sound system maybe I will care. And of course I have low standards I'm not a movie person and to be perfectly honest I believe it is plain stupid to make movies look better than actual vision.

Well if I ever get a surround sound system maybe I will care. And of course I have low standards I'm not a movie person and to be perfectly honest I believe it is plain stupid to make movies look better than actual vision.

HD is not better than actual vision, it the same as, you see all the action as clear as if you where there.

It sad that I know can get a better movie experience in my own home, than from going the moviess.

By the way its Banana, on madheads comp.

Please provide proof of your statements, Thank You :D
Haha. You know as well as I do that Sony will never officially release those numbers. So you know there will never be proof :wink:

Just understand that those connected to the movie industry have known about the Sony/Fox/WB negotiations for months. And know that Fox/WB came ever so close to jumping to HD-DVD (awaiting the sale of the millionth player, which is speculated to have happened over the holidays). The Sony offers to both Fox and WB are commonly reported to be worth around $500M each for Blu-Ray exclusivity. So no, there is no proof. Just industry chatter which is, more often than not, spot on. This info filters down to studios and independent producers (such as myself) in order to prepare us for business-changing events that will undoubtedly effect how we make money. Hollywood doesn't keep these kinds of secrets from itself. There are unwritten rules in play. So I personally regard this info as solid.

Regardless of what Sony paid or did not pay, I can tell you that the independents don't see this as a victory for Blu-Ray so much as it is a wide opening of the door to new areas of direct delivery. Retooling has begun already, and frankly I'm very excited about it.

Most independents, like myself, find working with Blu-Ray to be an unfavorable situation. The cost simply isn't worth it, nor are the restrictions or the bizarre licensing. Why should Sony make more money from my movie than I do, even if its self-distributed? The big studios get cost breaks that the independents do not. That's why over 60 independent companies went HD-DVD in the first place. If HD-DVD dies, we will find something else. Bet on it. That is just the way it's going to be.

And I'm not a Sony hater, I happen to own an XBR4 that I'm very happy with. I just want Sony to keep their hands out of my pocket.

Paramount/Dreamworks just flipped over to Blu-Ray. To put it plain and simple, all movie studios are saying the same thing: "we're sick of this format war." The war ended up hurting DVD sales big time in 2007, so the companies got pissed and just decided on BR, regardless of there being money involved. It is the end result that matters, not how it was achieved. Bye bye HD-DVD.

And for those seeking alternatives, your best bet is on-demand HD movies from your cable company or downloadable HD content from Apple and such, then either buying a BR burner (yeah right) or saving them to portable media and tunneling them to your TV. Choose your hassle.

You make a lot of sense, Stav. But despite the hassles, this has suddenly become a very exciting time.

Yeah, I think in the end, the format war never really mattered. The future is coming without a box.

The tru2way article that Tiv posted, Sony's Bravia Link and the Microsoft deal announced at CES are hints that the next generation will be boxless, playerless with a potential direct link to the world. Direct delivery is coming. There is still a ways to go, but at least the process has begun.

Now... How to exploit this... How to ride that beam into every home in America... Nay, The World...

/ponders

:lol:

You have low standards.

I gotta agree with Curse, I couldn't give a shit less about HDDvD vs. Blu-Ray. I really don't care to spend a bunch of cash upgrading my computer and home entertainment system just so I can see all of the pores on George Clooneys face when I'm watching Ocean's 13 on Blu-Ray. Maybe it's low standards or maybe it's the fact that DvD is just so much more convenient for me, especially since I just bought a DvD player that supports raw Divx files, so I don't even have to convert video files anymore, I just burn them in data format with Nero and in less than 10 minutes I can watch whatever movies are currently playing on the big screen or any old DvD's on my home television with very little effort. DvD ftw for me, when BR or HDDvD becomes that convenient, I'll pick it up.

Last edited:
Back