EA has joined my list of Bad Company's

Hehe, that will make the game sell less. If they are doink advertinsing, why don't they do generic advertising instead of customer specified?

that's no different than WoW monitoring your running programs while you play and sending the info to Blizzard, but people still play WoW.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Oct 18 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]126438[/snapback][/center]
that's no different than WoW monitoring your running programs while you play and sending the info to Blizzard, but people still play WoW.
[/b]
But is easier to just run wow alone. Than Something that will check all your cookies. What if you have bank information and personal stuff like that? You don't know the exact function of the spyware, you don't know what is it going to do? What information will it transmit?

With WoW, you just shutdown the important stuff and you got nothing to worry about. But with EA's new thing, it will not matter.

No, EA's does not do that:

The advertising program in Battlefield 2142 does not access any files which are not directly related to the game. It does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, or surfing history.

BF 2142 delivers ads by region. The advertising system uses a player?s IP address to determine the region of the player, assisting to serve the appropriate ads by region and language. For instance, a player in Paris might be presented with ads in French. The information collected will not be repurposed for other uses.

Battlefield 2142 also tracks ?impression data? related to in-game advertisements: location of a billboard in the game, brand advertised, duration of advertisement impression, etc. This information is used to help advertisers qualify the reach of a given advertisement.[/b]

all it does is track your IP location to provide localized ads in game. So you can have a program called CheatMaster 2000 running and it wouldn't matter. With WoW, it monitors ALL system resources and programs and sends the info back to Blizzard. That's how they ban cheaters.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Oct 18 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]126437[/snapback][/center]
Hehe, that will make the game sell less. If they are doink advertinsing, why don't they do generic advertising instead of customer specified?
[/b]

Because their games sell all over the world, not much sense having english ads in the copies going to countries where that language might not be spoken, or that product might not even be available.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Oct 18 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]126445[/snapback][/center]
No, EA's does not do that:
all it does is track your IP location to provide localized ads in game. So you can have a program called CheatMaster 2000 running and it wouldn't matter. With WoW, it monitors ALL system resources and programs and sends the info back to Blizzard. That's how they ban cheaters.
[/b]
Oh, I didn't read that. I read something else. :p

Just an interesting tidbit:

EA reaped in more worldwide profits than any other company in any industry last year...more than U.S. defense contracters.

True, but blizzard doesnt make money off of running Warden. Ea makes money off of running this bs. Plus its possible if you want to cheat to circumvent warden thanks to sony's rootkit screw up.

I know, i didn't say Blizzard didn't make money. They just invade MUCH more of your privacy than EA's program does :) But then again, this IS the future of online gaming. The new BF game is the first mainstream attempt at it at an interactive level. Anarchy Online has been doing it for a long time, but it provided ads without localizing them. EA's version is thanks to brilliant marketing managers who know what they're doing ;)

But dumb enough to pull a sony oops did I say that I meant get caught. :D
Actually what ticked me off the most was that the guy didnt know it til he opened the box thus ruining any return policy he was entitled too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tirrem @ Oct 18 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]126452[/snapback][/center]
True, but blizzard doesnt make money off of running Warden. Ea makes money off of running this bs. Plus its possible if you want to cheat to circumvent warden thanks to sony's rootkit screw up.
[/b]

I think the difference is that Blizzard makes $15 a month after the initial $50 buy of the game. Where as EA makes the $50 for the original sale and than nothing after that even though they provide servers for the game (Login/Play). Not that I agree with it, but it does make business sense.

*edited for spelling*

Well either way I think its wrong that they put no warning on the outside, thus screwing you out of 50 bucks that you probably wouldnt have spent if you had known about the spyware.

Aren't stores are obligated to take software back if you say you don't accept the license? That's all that it is really... a part of the license.

None of the stores here in boise will accept a computer game or software back, after it has been opened. End of story. I would have to contact EA which would in turn tell me to contact the people I bought it from which would tell me to contact EA ... well its a vicous cycle that ultimatly the consumer looses.

If the store won't take it back then EA has to offer refunds.

Might be worthwhile buying a copy just to deal with that shit (bored with life, need someone to take my anger and rage out on) :p

What's up Tirrem? Everytime someone debunks your argument you find something different to bitch about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tirrem @ Oct 18 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]126489[/snapback][/center]
How has my argument been debunked?
[/b]
nvm

I was just confusing who was posting what when I posted.

Back