Computer Help

Kital

Okay, so my computer (laptop) usual has wireless internet, but to speed things up I wana plug in for awhile. When I plug in an ether cord it doesnt work...please help !

(Wewt to the people reading my lame thread)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kital @ Jan 2 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]20878[/snapback][/center]
Okay, so my computer (laptop) usual has wireless internet, but to speed things up I wana plug in for awhile. When I plug in an ether cord it doesnt work...please help !

(Wewt to the people reading my lame thread)
[/b]

If it is a Toshiba turn off the wireless card. There should be a switch on the front.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kital @ Jan 2 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]20883[/snapback][/center]
When I take out the card I still cant just plug in the cord or restart and plug it in.
[/b]

Are you connecting directly to the modem or are you running through a router? Is the modem and/or router powered up? Do you have a desktop hooked up to it that can actively get the internet? Do you have the laptop connected correctly to the cable modem/router? Also, check your network connections setting in windows, is the network connection you want to use disabled? And what kind of laptop are you using? Does your laptop have a wireless card AND a network connection? Unfortunately you posting a general discription isn't very helpful. Kind of like saying your car won't start. With as much detail as possible the easier it is to find the solution.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El-Diablos @ Jan 2 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]20884[/snapback][/center]
Are you connecting directly to the modem or are you running through a router? Is the modem and/or router powered up? Do you have a desktop hooked up to it that can actively get the internet? Do you have the laptop connected correctly to the cable modem/router? Also, check your network connections setting in windows, is the network connection you want to use disabled? And what kind of laptop are you using? Does your laptop have a wireless card AND a network connection? Unfortunately you posting a general discription isn't very helpful. Kind of like saying your car won't start. With as much detail as possible the easier it is to find the solution.
[/b]

Sorry bout the vaugness, and thanks for the help.

I would be connection to a router (my wireless router) via ether cord. They are powered up. I dont quite understand the next question. Wirelessly is np, but I cant seem to set things up so it will run via a cord. I assume its connected correctly. (Theres only one spot an ether cord will fit in laptop and its plugged into a "connect to computers" hole on the router) Im not sure how to do the network connections thing. Im using a Sony Vaio. Yes it has both kinds of connections.

Thanks again.

Hey I figured it all out, thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kital @ Jan 2 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]20886[/snapback][/center]
Sorry bout the vaugness, and thanks for the help.

I would be connection to a router (my wireless router) via ether cord. They are powered up. I dont quite understand the next question. Wirelessly is np, but I cant seem to set things up so it will run via a cord. I assume its connected correctly. (Theres only one spot an ether cord will fit in laptop and its plugged into a "connect to computers" hole on the router) Im not sure how to do the network connections thing. Im using a Sony Vaio. Yes it has both kinds of connections.

Thanks again.
[/b]

Go to start menu, my network places (should be above control panel option) then under network tasks on the left hand side of that window will be view network connections. Then you should be viewing your network connections. One will be your wireless network and the other should be the hardwired network. IF you see nothing but the wireless connection run the setup a home network option. IF you see your network for the land one and it has a red X by it then you either have to change the setting to enable it or you have hooked up the wired one wrong.

Back