A Favor......

Nivekella

Hiyas all!!
Have a friend who is interested in gaming/programming/developing, but knows nothing of the trade/industry. Would anyone be willing to chat in an email or two to guide him?
From what I can gather if he jumps in the field, he is looking to see what are the more sought after schooling/training criteria……
Much thanks!!!!!

Having a pretty good background in gaming (playing lots of games, grasp of concepts) and maybe some computer technical skills and such is usually enough to get a play-tester, QA, or CSR job. Those types of positions are usually where people start out. I'm not sure if right now is such a good time to get into that business with EA leading the way on lay-off sprees and other game companies following suit.

Tell him to go to GDC at the end of this month. There's plenty of companies hiring such as Konami, SCE, Lucasfilm, etc. The thing to remember is that all he needs to do is get his foot in the door. The gaming industry is like a clan. Once you get in it, you're in for life. So all he needs is a job at SOME gaming company, whether it be an independent developer or a big one. At GDC you can visit the various company booths where you can network and do a quick job interview.

Gamasutra has alot of info, and like Stav said the important thing is getting your foot in the door. I keep knocking but nobody answers, just dont know the right people so Im working on my own project.

I'm more interested in the art and graphic design part of games right now (including modeling/UI design/concept art). I wonder if there are any good schools to go for a master's degree in stuff like that (USA pls)?

I'll have my B.S. in New Media Imaging (aka computer graphics) in about a month, and was considering going on to get a masters degree.

Back