Actual system release or marketing scheme?

Timi

So, reading through some of the gaming stuff online, I've read a lot about Sony's PS3 and the talk Sony puts towards their system. I've also noticed a lot of comments made by Sony such as claiming X-Box copies their business strategies, how $600 for a system is too low, and how they just happened to release a controller much like nintendo's just before E3 and claimed it had been in production for a while.

I question if the system couldn't have been released already and Sony has used the delay as a marketing gimmick that seems to be backfiring and making a lot of individuals a little peeved at some of the arrogance they have demonstrated as of late. I thought it was just in their Online division, but seems to be the overall corporate moddo of, "We're Sony and that's all people will buy".

I have never had problems with customer service or the people of Sony, before I met the CSRs and SOE.
The only other thing I have messed with customer service is with the Sony Vaio computer. Bought 2 about a year ago. One of them had a problem with the hard drive. I went to the Sony store in town and they replaced the whole computer with no extra charges. Fast and good service.

On another note, I remember reading an article, that SOE was in charge of SCEA, after the success they got with their online gaming. This was way before wow and all the crap they pulled with SWG, when they were actully "good" or, in other words, not so bad. The PS3 is aiming for online gaming as well.

I know for a fact that SCEA dismantled their publishing office. I had a friend working there, she always gave me the headlines on the new titles. She got fired with most of her department a while back.

So, IMHO, I think the guys advertising the PS3 are the same Mo'fos (sorry for the word) of SOE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoobKrad @ Jun 30 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]91211[/snapback][/center]
Burn SOE! :spam:
[/b]
how dare you include that phrase with spam! that is a quality assessment agreeable upon by most everyone here

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zampy @ Jun 30 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]91220[/snapback][/center]
how dare you include that phrase with spam! that is a quality assessment agreeable upon by most everyone here
[/b]
You got it wrong....

I'm a :spam: er :spam: ing to Burn SOE!

I will say this Timi, i agree with you. the pushbacks, shittalking, etc and the huge pricetag for PS3,and then the fact that they are telling me, Mr Joe Notamillionaire, that 600 bucks is a very low asking price for something to PLAY VIDEO GAMES ON!! Sony has lost me as a client all together. I thought it was just SOE who were greedy heartless brainless pigs, but i guess its the whole company. Im off to buy a 360....

There was a Penny-Arcade comic a while back (Couple months or so) that made fun of Sony Executives for being assholes that do everything their way just because "We are Sony"

As some of you may know I have worked in the gaming industry for nearly a year now, working at Electronic Arts, and recently moving to Sony Computer Entertainment. As a Marketing Manager within the industry I can shed a little light on the SWG fiasco, and the current PS3 Problems.

Let?s start with Star Wars Galaxies as a partner to SOE; Lucas Arts was the pants wearer in the relationship as they owned all the rights to the Star Wars content. Now Lucas Arts based its analysis on figures, and profits rather than looking at the game as a whole. As in any system change must be implemented, and the problem with Lucas and SOE was they did not take into consideration the views of the average Joe. Instead they went ahead with mind numbing changes, which the community frowned upon.

First thing I learnt on my degree course was ?The customer is king,? without customers you have no business, without business you have no job. The problem goes deeper than SWG, it goes back to the 1980?s when everything was Sony, TV?s, Walkmans, VCR?s they where massive, and they haven?t been able to drop that arrogant mentality. With the market becoming as saturated as it is Sony will need to change, and quick.

Let?s now discuss the Play station 3 a complete home entertainment system for you and your family. For $600 you get a Blue Ray HD DVD Player, and a top of the line gaming machine. The HD DVD Player on its own will set you back about $600, so personally the product price is quite low. The integration of the DVD Player has been lengthy as the development of it has been bumpy road, and this is the sole reason that the PS3 has been delayed past its estimated release date. All the people who think the PS3 is too expensive have yet to realise the deal and bargain they are getting.

Take a close look at Blue Ray?..its fantastic.

Sony I feel is trying to make consoles a house hold item to sit all year round under the TV, alongside your cable, Digital, DVD Recorder boxes. The PS3 doesn?t just play games it is a Home Entertainment System, and that?s what we at Sony are trying to sell you the public.

Thanks for reading

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Jul 1 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]91520[/snapback][/center]
so are you working on a swg roll back bananaman? :p
[/b]

No I work on Consoles, atm. I want to work on SWG 2 in the future.

But i dont want an entertainment system....i want a gaming console. The problem with entertainment systems built as gaming consoles is that gaming consoles last 5-6 years. I shouldn't have to buy an "entertainment console" every 5-6 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Jul 1 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]91527[/snapback][/center]
But i dont want an entertainment system....i want a gaming console. The problem with entertainment systems built as gaming consoles is that gaming consoles last 5-6 years. I shouldn't have to buy an "entertainment console" every 5-6 years.
[/b]

Well I cna assure you the PS4 will be out in less than 3 years after the PS3, and this is not about dis-classfying a gaming console. Its about adding more functionallity for the end user "customer", and letting them get the best out of all the new technologies out on the market.

hmmm i sort of take your point about the blue ray player but i seem to recall the dvd player in the ps2 was SHIT.....and thats being kind

i get the impression first gen players usually are crap compared to what will be available a year or two down the line but i guess thats the same with most techs. id rather wait and save the money on not only what is likely going to be a better player, but also cheaper as prices tend to come down after a bit of time. we will see i suppose - the blue ray hardware might be up to scratch but meh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Jul 1 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]91535[/snapback][/center]
hmmm i sort of take your point about the blue ray player but i seem to recall the dvd player in the ps2 was SHIT.....and thats being kind

i get the impression first gen players usually are crap compared to what will be available a year or two down the line but i guess thats the same with most techs. id rather wait and save the money on not only what is likely going to be a better player, but also cheaper as prices tend to come down after a bit of time. we will see i suppose - the blue ray hardware might be up to scratch but meh
[/b]

But in the mean time, you should still stand in line on rollout day, so you can Ebay it for a couple grand to some other schmuck who has more dollars than sense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rankin @ Jul 2 2006, 05:41 AM) [snapback]91453[/snapback][/center]
Thank you for correcting me, couldn't remember which it was.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Jul 2 2006, 08:04 AM) [snapback]91496[/snapback][/center]
Let?s now discuss the Play station 3 a complete home entertainment system for you and your family. For $600 you get a Blue Ray HD DVD Player, and a top of the line gaming machine. The HD DVD Player on its own will set you back about $600, so personally the product price is quite low. The integration of the DVD Player has been lengthy as the development of it has been bumpy road, and this is the sole reason that the PS3 has been delayed past its estimated release date. All the people who think the PS3 is too expensive have yet to realise the deal and bargain they are getting.

Take a close look at Blue Ray?..its fantastic.

Sony I feel is trying to make consoles a house hold item to sit all year round under the TV, alongside your cable, Digital, DVD Recorder boxes. The PS3 doesn?t just play games it is a Home Entertainment System, and that?s what we at Sony are trying to sell you the public.

Thanks for reading
[/b]
I have heard this from Sony reps before (Not compairing you, just saying that it has been said before) The problem that I, and many other people, have with this concept that "We are including blu-ray technology and that makes the console worth $600 dollars" is that we don't necessarily want all that. Granted blue-ray is nice, and will be expensive for some time, it is not necessary. It would be like Dell all of a sudden only making computers that have 35 gig processors and charging 20grand a machine. Yes, given the state of things that would probably be a reasonable price, but people don't necessarily want/need that much. (Normal people without lots of money that is) The one thing I think microsoft did right with the X-Box360 was make two versions, one low cost and one higher in cost. Because I can assure you, if the Wii stays near its estimated sticker price (ranging from 150-250 or so) I can assure you I will be getting that over the PS3. And I doubt I would buy a PS3 untill the price dropps to about 200 bucks, I probably wont be getting it.

Yes, Home Entertainment Systems are nice, but in the end a lot more people would be happier with a regular ol' gaming console.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pawe @ Jul 4 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]92154[/snapback][/center]
Yes, Home Entertainment Systems are nice, but in the end a lot more people would be happier with a regular ol' gaming console.
[/b]
how can you call it a HES when its barley anything more then a game console w/ a dvd (or BR) player.

And im sorry, 2 or 3 or 4 yrs down the line, Blue Ray may be a good deal, but how many of you right now own enough blue ray movies for it to make a differncE?!?!? ok, I dont own a blueray mvie, but i own hundrends of dvds. hmmm, which is a bigger selling power to me? a machine which easily plays all my movies, or a machine where i have to eat mac and cheese for 2 months to get, then have to turn around and buy new movies? nah, that dont sound like a good deal to me.

Here goes a non techie fear, cause lets face it people, not everyone who plays on the computer or enjoys X-box is a computer programmer!! Here is my "fear-inducing" question- Does blue ray play regular dvds? ok, call me stupid but how many 40 yrs old parents are going to be xmas shopping for their kid, see that and think nothign of it? people get freaked by new product. remember when dvds came out? they just were released one day, and the next day we all stopped watching our vcrs, right? um, i dont think so. it was the end of the 90s when dvds boomed, not right away.

and TBH, i never even fucking heard of Blue Ray till the PS3 announced, and now thats all everyones talking about. Frankly, anyone stop and think of what if this format flops?? you wasted $600+ on a peice of plastic.

Back