Why El-D should've played WoW instead of SWG

In late January, Sara Andrews used these channels to say that the guild she helps run, called Oz, was set up to be gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender "friendly".

But an in-game administrator issued a warning saying that such talk was a breach of Warcraft's terms of service.

She was threatened with being banned from the game if she continued to advertise the Oz guild using such language. [/b]

It sounds to me like she was in fact breaching their terms of service because she should have been using the term "homosexual" instead of gay. If nobody regards "gay" as offensive anymore, than yeah she has a point, but if so then they have every right to regard that as a "bad word".

I think that they escalated this too far. I really believe that she turned a language-policy into a gay-rights campaign.

I don't think gays should have to put up with being yelled at all the time for their sexual orientation, but nobody is asking them to pronounce publicly they are gay. You don't see my yelling and posting all over the internet how I am straight, even though I am. If they don't think it has any relevance, then why should they even have to mention it?

Which brings me to another point:

It's being sexist to have a guild that is only for bisexuals/transgenders/gays. If it isn't, then I can make all the "straight-friendly" guilds that I want and no gays have the right to contest that. That means I can ex-communicate gays from my guild just as they could excommunicate straights from their guild.

Just like racism, people use sexism to get somewhere as a means to an end instead of actually as supporting an ideal. People just like to take advantage of the views of others to meet their own ends, instead of actually having a valid point.

I really don't feel they were being treated unfairly. Especially because I think if a STRAIGHT-ONLY or STRAIGHT-FRIENDLY guild existed, they would be every bit as pissed as anyone else was about their gay guild.

And by the way, if I decide to hate gay people, as long as I don't act on that, it is my right. Just as it is my right to hate stupid people and bums. Not to mention... my right to hate every single human being other than myself.

I dont think its such a big deal just like the gay marriages thing if they want to get married let them its not going to effect us in anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Feb 15 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]45716[/snapback][/center]
I dont think its such a big deal just like the gay marriages thing if they want to get married let them its not going to effect us in anyway.
[/b]

I dissagree.. it will effect us. So say a man and another man get married... by law... can they be held to the same things like married couples are held to? ... like Insurance? do you want your insurance to go up even higher because now they can utilize a "family" plan? I'm very anti gay marrige in RL ... but i see no harm in it in a "fantasy" setting, like in a game. It all boils down to biblical stuff. Which i dont care to get in to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frankengoob @ Feb 14 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]45754[/snapback][/center]
I disagree.. it will effect us. So say a man and another man get married... by law... can they be held to the same things like married couples are held to? ... like Insurance? do you want your insurance to go up even higher because now they can utilize a "family" plan? I'm very anti gay marrige in RL ... but i see no harm in it in a "fantasy" setting, like in a game. It all boils down to biblical stuff. Which i dont care to get in to.
[/b]

QFE!!!

If they can get married, then legally they cannot be denied the same rights and privilages as straight married couples. My insurance is shitty enough as it is. I don't look forward to paying more for less because they want to pay less for more.

So what your saying is you're denying two people their happiness because you are a greedy prick? lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Feb 15 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]45881[/snapback][/center]
So what your saying is you're denying two people their happiness because you are a greedy prick? lol
[/b]
thats what i am hearing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Feb 14 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]45716[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

Actually, that is an incorrect statement. That kind of fundemental shift of basic evolution effects us all as a society. Let's put it this way, if it was meant for people to be gay then it would be possible for two men or two women to conceive a child. They can't reproduce, they must recruit. Fact is I believe it is a genetic issue. I mean if some guy sniffs his grandma's panties we say he is "messed up" in the head but when two people engage in something that defies the laws of nature we should accept it? Now do I think we should have gangs of people going around beating up gay people? NO. But do I think we should celebrate something that is no different than any other form of deviancy?NO. And for the record I do have friends that are leisbians and I do accept who they are but do not advocate equal rights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El-Diablos @ Feb 15 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]45962[/snapback][/center]
Actually, that is an incorrect statement. That kind of fundemental shift of basic evolution effects us all as a society. Let's put it this way, if it was meant for people to be gay then it would be possible for two men or two women to conceive a child. They can't reproduce, they must recruit. Fact is I believe it is a genetic issue. I mean if some guy sniffs his grandma's panties we say he is "messed up" in the head but when two people engage in something that defies the laws of nature we should accept it? Now do I think we should have gangs of people going around beating up gay people? NO. But do I think we should celebrate something that is no different than any other form of deviancy?NO. And for the record I do have friends that are leisbians and I do accept who they are but do not advocate equal rights.
[/b]
thanks for sticking up for Timi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scally666 @ Feb 15 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]45963[/snapback][/center]
thanks for sticking up for Timi
[/b]
Yes even if I don't agree with what my friends do. I try to get them the help they need. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Feb 15 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]45881[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

im sure they will never find happiness because they cant be married by law.... why do they want to be married in the first place??? FOR THE BENIFITS!... its not a "happines" issue. If i could have not have married my wife i would still be with her. I married her to give her insurance, to take care of our 1st kid at the time, and to say if i ever leave you get half of all my stuff :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frankengoob @ Feb 15 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]46025[/snapback][/center]
im sure they will never find happiness because they cant be married by law.... why do they want to be married in the first place??? FOR THE BENIFITS!... its not a "happines" issue. If i could have not have married my wife i would still be with her. I married her to give her insurance, to take care of our 1st kid at the time, and to say if i ever leave you get half of all my stuff :p
[/b]
True there is nothing in the marriage license that gives a magical happiness pass. In fact, alot of marriages I know are quite the opposite of happiness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El-Diablos @ Feb 15 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]46030[/snapback][/center]
True there is nothing in the marriage license that gives a magical happiness pass. In fact, alot of marriages I know are quite the opposite of happiness.
[/b]

Boy ain't that the truth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lpb8733 @ Feb 15 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]46065[/snapback][/center]
Boy ain't that the truth.
[/b]
I like the single life myself. Everyday is up and down. You could go out and hook up with hewt chick or bat a fat zero. But in the end more peaks and valleys than a joyless marriage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frankengoob @ Feb 16 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]46025[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

Except in Vermont, Massachusettes and some parts in Canada.

Back