So i was in a pub...

Isildur

and someone cracked the old theory about monkeys and typewriters. For those of you that dont know, there is a theory of probability/infinity that states that if you have a hypothetical monkey and give him infinite time that the entire works of shakespeare would be produced. Assuming the monkey would live forever.

Now i heard this a few times before, and i turned round and said...thats bollocks, well it is. I understand the theory behind this but i thought to myself: Doesnt this just make it highly probable that the works of shakespeare be produced, that is just as there is a chance of them being made...there is a chance they may never be made if you understand my reasoning.

For example, if i flip a coin for infinity it is possible...no matter how minute, that i may never flip a tails?

anyway, whos right here?

I'm all confused... lol monkey with a typewriter and shakespeare? *scratches head*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Sep 20 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]118850[/snapback][/center]
and someone cracked the old theory about monkeys and typewriters. For those of you that dont know, there is a theory of probability/infinity that states that if you have a hypothetical monkey and give him infinite time that the entire works of shakespeare would be produced. Assuming the monkey would live forever.

Now i heard this a few times before, and i turned round and said...thats bollocks, well it is. I understand the theory behind this but i thought to myself: Doesnt this just make it highly probable that the works of shakespeare be produced, that is just as there is a chance of them being made...there is a chance they may never be made if you understand my reasoning.

For example, if i flip a coin for infinity it is possible...no matter how minute, that i may never flip a tails?

anyway, whos right here?
[/b]

If a monkey can crank out shakespear on a typewriter then we need to hire it for a dev position at SOE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Sep 20 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]118850[/snapback][/center]

anyway, whos right here?
[/b]
Never heard of it. Maybe it's a local thing. Anyway, I'd share an opinion if I could understand half of what you just said. Did Farid write this post for you?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Sep 20 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]118850[/snapback][/center]

anyway, whos right here?
[/b]

Yes, but you are misunderstanding the definition of infinity. Infinity means, in probablilty terms anyways, that EVERY possibility will be reached within an infinite amount of time. So no matter how many heads you flip and the remote possibility of that, given infinite time you will flip a tail eventually.

Think of it in the ultra-long term. If the probablilty to achieve a certain result is a fraction, then you multiply the fraction with the number of attempts. So, if you want to see a tail on a flip of a coin you have a (1/2) 50% chance on one attempt. With it being 1 chance with 2 possibilities. On two attempts you have (3/4) 75% chance, on three attempts (7/8) 87.5% chance, and so on and so, till you throw in infinite chances (infinite/infinite) or 100% chance or infinite chances with infinite possibilities.

Does this make sense?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Isildur @ Sep 20 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]118850[/snapback][/center]

anyway, whos right here?
[/b]
I had a monkey once, but the best he could do was type the collective works of Stephen King. Stupid monkey.

Back