Police Eligibility Tests

Darein

Retired SWG Bounty Hunter
I just passed the Physical Ability test, next up Written Exam :blink:

Wish me luck! :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darein @ Feb 7 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]40431[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

you gonna get blasted with Pepper Spray?

Yeah if I pass all the tests and go to the academy then I bet I will :/

Test is in like 2 hours btw.

The interview process is cake. It's all set at an average level due to fears of being sued for discrimination....basically meaning that it's tailored so that any with some common sense and is in decent physical ability can pass through those processes.

Now, where they get ya is background investigation. #1 thing, do not with hold any information or lie (even if it is a little white lie) because they will find out and the longer the investigation goes on without you hearing back the better. If you hear back from them in a week or two....kiss your chances goodbye!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Feb 6 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]40467[/snapback][/center]
The interview process is cake. It's all set at an average level due to fears of being sued for discrimination....basically meaning that it's tailored so that any with some common sense and is in decent physical ability can pass through those processes.

Now, where they get ya is background investigation. #1 thing, do not with hold any information or lie (even if it is a little white lie) because they will find out and the longer the investigation goes on without you hearing back the better. If you hear back from them in a week or two....kiss your chances goodbye!
[/b]

Sample Question.

You beat an unarmed suspect with your baton because

a. you didn't know he was unarmed
b. The old lady appeared menacing
c. He is black
d. It felt good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Feb 7 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]40467[/snapback][/center]

[/b]

Woot! It's been 11+ days since my interview. They already sent out letters to my references, so I'm guessing that is a good sign

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tutok @ Feb 7 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]40506[/snapback][/center]
Woot! It's been 11+ days since my interview. They already sent out letters to my references, so I'm guessing that is a good sign
[/b]

My background investigation took about 5 months.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El-Diablos @ Feb 7 2006, 07:46 AM) [snapback]40481[/snapback][/center]
Sample Question.

You beat an unarmed suspect with your baton because

a. you didn't know he was unarmed
b. The old lady appeared menacing
c. He is black
d. It felt good.
[/b]

Most d. but I'll add in

e. Suspect wouldn't comply with your commands and use of force escalated. Police are allowed to use any force necessary to gain control of a situation as long as that force is appropriate.

Example: If an unarmed individual say starts resisting arrest, pepper spray may be used. If that has no effect and the suspect still reisists or becomes even more combative then a baton may be used. If the guy decides to get stupid and pulls or a knife or sharp object of his person or goes for an officers gun, then the gun may be drawn and used if they do not comply.

I passed, but 80% isn't as high as I wanted. Oh well, I'm not a rocket-scientist :(

Got an interview today in 2 hours, LOL.

No really, I'm half-dressed for it. Don't have a suit, but kahkis (sp?) will have to do.

Uh...didn't know we were all COPS on here...lol

AWESOME!

Take a ride on the X26 TASER, you'll love that one! Pepper spray is annoying but not debilitating imho, the TASER will put your ass on the ground begging for mercy.

Longest 5 seconds of my life...

Now, I've been sprayed with my OC, beaten with my baton in training, and zapped with the stun gun. When they start requiring you to take a round in the body armor from your service weapon I QUIT!

Gah, well the interview sucked. I guess it went okay but I had to answer some personal things because I have to be 100% honest and they're going to ask me again with a polygraph, so it just ruined my nerves.

But that probably doesn't matter much because after some things they said about the job in the interview I'm no so sure I want to go through with it anyway.

Seriously who stays after work to help people with their problems when they won't get paid? Or do overtime all the time? I'd just want to go home, screw it, asking me to even work 8 hours a day is pushing it IMO.

And night shifts? Dude I'm a bit of a night owl, but damn! I read it causes all sorts of health problems.

Anyhow, I guess if they want to hire me I'll check it out and find out more, maybe it'll work out. But if not, I'm really thinking it would kick butt to be a freelancer, like a freelance writer/photographer or something, I just don't know how to get started or how to do it, or even what I want to do exactly.

I'm just feeling really confused now. :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Feb 7 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]40564[/snapback][/center]
My background investigation took about 5 months.

[/b]

yeah,
the background investigator said it would take around 50 days

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darein @ Feb 7 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]40712[/snapback][/center]
Gah, well the interview sucked. I guess it went okay but I had to answer some personal things because I have to be 100% honest and they're going to ask me again with a polygraph, so it just ruined my nerves.

But that probably doesn't matter much because after some things they said about the job in the interview I'm no so sure I want to go through with it anyway.

Seriously who stays after work to help people with their problems when they won't get paid? Or do overtime all the time? I'd just want to go home, screw it, asking me to even work 8 hours a day is pushing it IMO.

And night shifts? Dude I'm a bit of a night owl, but damn! I read it causes all sorts of health problems.

Anyhow, I guess if they want to hire me I'll check it out and find out more, maybe it'll work out. But if not, I'm really thinking it would kick butt to be a freelancer, like a freelance writer/photographer or something, I just don't know how to get started or how to do it, or even what I want to do exactly.

I'm just feeling really confused now. :blink:
[/b]

yeah man,
overtime is going to be killer, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm already gaining friendships at my internship so I hope that helps when i want to get hired there after the academy.

If I had my choice, I'd work nights. It's a 4 day, 10 hour schedule ( so you get 3 days off) and there is less traffic at 3am compared to 3pm. I've done ridealongs during each shift, and I like mids best

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tutok @ Feb 7 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]40753[/snapback][/center]
yeah,
the background investigator said it would take around 50 days
yeah man,
overtime is going to be killer, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm already gaining friendships at my internship so I hope that helps when i want to get hired there after the academy.

If I had my choice, I'd work nights. It's a 4 day, 10 hour schedule ( so you get 3 days off) and there is less traffic at 3am compared to 3pm. I've done ridealongs during each shift, and I like mids best
[/b]

Overtime isn't all that bad. At least with my department we got paide time and a half for it and most of the over time was by like 2 hours. Really the only over time you'll get is if you get a call at the end of your shift that goes on forever or if you have to go down to the jail to process someone and depending how backed up they are that could be a while.

But, I will say for anyone that has doubts about working more then 8 hours a day on a consistent basis, it may not be for you. Regular shift hours are more then 8 hours (typically depending on department). Mine were 10.5 hour days and I averaged 12 - 14 hour days. When the Iraq war started they increased our hours to 12 hour days which meant on average I was working 14-16 hours. Just think about what you're gettin into before you dive in head first if you aren't sure about something.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darein @ Feb 7 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]40431[/snapback][/center]

[/b]
oh gods thats the exact reason i dont have any faith in our protection society anymore!!!

JK, good luck, and good job passing what you have.

Remember- arrest crackheads not potheads!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Feb 7 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]40772[/snapback][/center]
... Just think about what you're gettin into before you dive in head first if you aren't sure about something.
[/b]

Yeah I'm trying to. I figure if they actually select me (20 guys made it to the interview process) then I'll have to tell them I can't sign anything until I know more about the work, do a ride-along, have a few days to decide, and all that.

I've been looking at some websites that list freelance jobs like web design and that looks really great, though the downside to freelancing would likely be no benefits / early retirement.

A lot of alure with policing are all the cop shows you see on tv, movies, and well COPS itself. When I went through academy there were a handful of people in a 63 person class that thought it was all going to be fast paced action and hostage situations, high speed pursuits, and nabbing the bad guy and putting him away for a long time.

Sad truth is...it's a lot domestic disturbance, misdemeanor crimes, traffic stops, accident reports and tons of paper work. Every once in a while you'll get something good like a double hommicide that turns into a high speed pursuit and back alley chases, but what people don't understand....afterwards is all the paper work you have to do for that 5-10 mins of excitement.

Saying goes in law enforcement 90% boredom 10% sheer terror.

Also, nabbing the bad guy putting them away for a long time? If you're lucky. Judges usually just give someone that has a rap sheet a mile long a slap on the wrist and let's 'em go. All that hard work you put into gettin this guy and jail and 10 mins in court, he's walkin free. It can get really frustrating.

Yeah. Thanks for all your replies I want to know all I can about it before I jump into it. It just keeps sounding worse, LOL.

The guys who were doing the tests and interviews, etc. had been working about 2 hours before I got there and were still at work doing interviews 10 hours later. It was a long day for them and they all looked tired, so that kinda got me thinking about how much it might suck.

I guess in the end work is work so it might be hard to turn down, but as long as I stay on an eligibility list I could probably just come back looking for a job later if other things don't work out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darein @ Feb 8 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]41106[/snapback][/center]
Yeah. Thanks for all your replies I want to know all I can about it before I jump into it. It just keeps sounding worse, LOL.

The guys who were doing the tests and interviews, etc. had been working about 2 hours before I got there and were still at work doing interviews 10 hours later. It was a long day for them and they all looked tired, so that kinda got me thinking about how much it might suck.

I guess in the end work is work so it might be hard to turn down, but as long as I stay on an eligibility list I could probably just come back looking for a job later if other things don't work out.
[/b]

Well remember this. If you're going to do, do it because you want to and you enjoy the work. Don't do it with a mentality that it's a job and a paycheck. Squad members will sniff you out and you'll be labled as a slug, meaning someone who's just there to clock in their time and get paid.

My suggestion is go to one of the police stations with the department you are applying with and get a ride along form, submit that and do a couple of ride a longs and get to know the guys. You'll have plenty of time to do it. Just remember that on ride alongs, you're considered a liability, so you wont get to see a whole lot, but depending on the officer they still may take on a couple of cool calls as long as you won't be in jeopordy.

Back