Which MMORPG Fails The Most?

Which MMORPG Fails The Most?

• Total voters

Curse

Bored to death... maybe...
Please give a reason, short and sweet.

I vote WoW because of the slow boring combat, connection lag, and setting the standard for MMOs to come.

Last edited:
I voted for PotBS .. this may be because I had high expectations and the what I have seen it did not come close. What I have seen was also still beta, though who knows, maybe it gets better.

Vanguard, no question.

After all of the hype surrounding that game, and seeing what actually happened... damn...

To be able to vote on this in a fair manner, one needs to have played them all to be able to compare. I haven't so I can't really say.

I loved SWG, it was my very first MMORPG. I also really enjoyed playing CoH/CoV, no thinking just hard core kicking and playing hero ^_^

I never really liked WoW for some reason *shrug*

(Those are the only 3 I've really given a try)

LotRO fails large in my book.
When using someone elses intellectual property, there's a whole lot more work involved to "get it right", and Turbine failed here. This goes beyond gameplay, this comes down to world design. Turbine's version of Middle-earth isn't one I have *any* interest in playing in, after having a walk through the world during beta. The usual "but it was beta..." arguement holds no water with me here. Its sort of a literary rant, I admit, and those are open to all kinds of interpretation given the size of the audience. I just don't think Turbine got Middle-earth right. They may have gotten a game mostly right, or a little better than the environment itself, but my own feelings about said environment completely preclude my participation in said game. In short, Turbine fails at life.

I suppose you could make the same arguement about SWG's treatment of Kashyyyk or Dathomir, hell even Corellia could've been so much better than it is. I just haven't ever called myself a Star Wars scholar. I *have* called myself a Tolkien scholar in the past. Turbine's sins far outweigh SOE's in terms of world design. And Turbine only had to bother with ONE world!

Weolo is playing LotRO now.
I have to say every other MMORPG I see him playing just shows how dull and bland the SWG scenery is.
Just a lot brighter more colorful enviroments to be seen.

WoW, to much cartoony crap, not real comunity, to much of a time sink to level or get decent items

I said vanguard cause of all the hype and it sucked...

I didnt vote swg because it had a very successful 2 years and a decent 6 months after that.

I voted WoW because it's a steamy pile of garbage. Sure it has alot of subscribers(so does AOL) but it fails for the fact of most are common simpletons. No offense to those playing here but it is the most basic, simple, snorefest of a game I have played since "Redmoon" or "the 4th Coming".!

What really beats WoW out but I didn't vote it as other simply because it's been dead for so long was "Earth and Beyond". What a great idea for a game they completely dropped the ball on. I really hope someday SWG takes the boardable spacestation ideas Earth and Beyond had to adapt to the JTL portion of SWG. There could really be some excellent bh/smuggler content on spacestations that SOE is of course going to completely overlook....gosh, what's more iconic then that?!?

Star Wars Galaxies: This one was my first MMO, and I loved it. But, everything went to a hole after 11/5/05.
Everquest 2: I love this one, the game mechanics make it impossible to solo play which I don't like. However, is so rich in lore and there are many possibilities to RP.
EVE: This one is unique, and one of the best games I have ever played. Of course, is not easy.
City of Heroes/City of Villains: This one was fun fer the first 10 levels then it turns into a very repetitive game and it bored me.
World of Warcraft: It doesn't have the best graphics, but I have had a lot of fun times with this one. Combat is one of the best for soloing.
Vanguard Online: This one was looking great in beta. Then it jumped off the precipice.
Pirates of the Burning Sea: Haven't played it and don't plan to.
Tabula Rasa: See PotBS.
Lord of the Rings: I will play it, a bit later. We know it has a lot of lore to play with, many opportunities to RP.
Sword of the New World: This one is one of the best, fast action, similar to Diablo and Titan Quest game play but with a party of three characters. Thanks to having a party, it was solo able. I like this game a lot.

From my opinion, the one that fail was Star Was Galaxies.

Vanguard's failure was too obvious despite the hype, I voted SWG as it had everything to be a MMORPG of all times yet SOE and LA somehow managed to screw it big time.

Vanguard's failure was too obvious despite the hype, I voted SWG as it had everything to be a MMORPG of all times yet SOE and LA somehow managed to screw it big time.

True they did muck it all up but I can't pick SWG because even after they destroyed half the game, it's still the best MMO out there today. That to me is a damn good game, even if it's not entirely what it used to be.

CoH/CoV was just a great concept turned horribly, horribly wrong. You get to be a super-hero/villian of whatever make/model you want, you have a whole city to fly/jump/dash around in, and just when everything seems wondrous...every single thing you do is the SAME EXACT FUCKING MISSION from level 5 on.

By far the biggest disappointment of any MMO that is out right now.

Lol, Rankin can't embrace teh LoTR suck.

SWG: Jumped the shark with NGE, but still a great game. Failure was in management of gameplay, not in gameplay itself. But I still pays my fee, so...

WOW: I ran screaming from the free trial.

CoH/CoV: Unrealized potential, rather than failure. Needs an endgame badly.

I have to vote WOW simply because it failed to live up to the hype for me.

Last edited:
I said Tabula Rasa because it was supposed to change the way we MMO etc.

The fast FPS-like action in an MMO sounds great on paper, but in TR it sucks ass. There's practically no depth to the game.

Back