Is College a Waste of Time?

Is College a Waste of Time?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Digitalmessiah

I mean, i would really like to goto a better college next year (Full Sail) , but just being in this shit hole college im in atm, it discourages me to even waste my familys money to be brainwashed by so called "Professors" who really are only doing that job because they probly couldnt suceed in the real world. I really never liked school, infact i have been against the system since pre-school. I just don't see how anyone can Learn, when they are forced to learn what teachers cram in theyre head, it's really just to teach kids authority imo. Well, anyway, ive read most REALLY successful people never weant to college. My uncle works personally with bill gates and he never went to college. Idk, please let me know what you all think. its about $65,000 for a BS over at Full Sail for video game design and development.

EDIT: Please state your opinion after you vote :)

go to college even if you dont need to, this way if something ever happens to where you are/will be working you have a degree in something you can use...sure some schools or teachers make it bad or worse so just change schools or teachers or just suck it up and try to hang in there

Extensive studies show that the opportunity cost of going to college is made up with a bachelor's degree. The opportunity cost of obtaining a Masters degree is also made up. THe opportunity cost of getting a Doctorate IS NOT made up. So pretty much you get back all the money lost in college (both tuition and opportunity) if you get a bachelors, and to even a greater extent if you get a masters, but do not if you get a doctorate. So it definately is worth it ;)

College is the new high school. Employers that were just looking for HS diplomas 20 years ago now require college degrees.

you work on school things 5 days a week, get 2 days to party... monday-thursday school work.... friday saturday party it up sunday w/e homework was given do it... repeat cycle

If you want a decent job at all you MUST have a college degree. That's all there is to it.

The idiot HR chick takes a look at the resumes. She immediately throws out the bad ones. Those without a degree are bad ones and *poof* they're gone. Have other qualifications? Doesn't matter, your resume's already in the trash.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reek @ Oct 16 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]125774[/snapback][/center]
If you want a decent job at all you MUST have a college degree. That's all there is to it.

The idiot HR chick takes a look at the resumes. She immediately throws out the bad ones. Those without a degree are bad ones and *poof* they're gone. Have other qualifications? Doesn't matter, your resume's already in the trash.
[/b]
QFE. You can be the best $INSERT_JOB_HERE in the world, but without a degree you'll never get past the HR drone that sorts resumes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Echew1337 @ Oct 16 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]125773[/snapback][/center]
you work on school things 5 days a week, get 2 days to party... monday-thursday school work.... friday saturday party it up sunday w/e homework was given do it... repeat cycle [/b]

LIES!!!!!

Thursday - Party because tomorrow is Friday and who goes to Friday Classes?

Friday - Party like its 1999, no worries you can work that hangover off on Saturday

Saturday - Feeling the hangover? Start partying...it'll go away!

Sunday - Recoup

Monday - Wrestling is on? Grab a group of your dumbest friends and beer it up!

Tuesday - Gotta work on that hotty freshman so she'll be at the parties Thursday, Friday, Saturday! If that fails...work on her hotty roommate!

Wednesday - Poker night....grab the beer!

*Repeat*

/sigh I miss college

College is definately worth it.......the only thing is that you have to be motivated enough to do well. If you can't handle the work load and plan on partying and slacking off then it is a huge waste of time and money.

Yes and no.

It's worth it if you want to get a better job with more money. It's not worth it if you are going to focus on a specific ideal instead of just getting through.

Just get through - get your piece of paper, and THEN think about what you want to do in life. It doesn't matter all that much what your degree is in - just that you have one.

Well...what college grants you is more options in your career(s). There probably is a good chance you won't be doing the job you envisioned you would when you left high school as compared to later in life. For better or for worse you life IS going to be different than you imagined.

Lots of successful people have dropped out or never gone to college. However, there are MANY more people who have truly failed at life because they dropped out or never went to college. Again, what college gives you is more opportunities, not a guarentee.

I wouldn't say its a waste of time. It can help you get jobs in the future. For when I go to college I'll be getting paid around $1,000 a month just to go to class. Something to do with when my Dad was in the army.. or something.

That's a pretty good chunk of change for myself just to go to class a few hours a day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Digitalmessiah ATi @ Oct 15 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]125742[/snapback][/center]
I just don't see how anyone can Learn, when they are forced to learn what teachers cram in theyre head, it's really just to teach kids authority imo.[/b]

In college you choose what classes you want to take (except the few required for all degrees, but they are a joke) and which professor. Yes, each class has a curriculum that is required and that the professor feels covers the topic, but if you feel the professor is not teaching enough of the subject there is nothing stopping you from learning more on your own time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Digitalmessiah ATi @ Oct 15 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]125742[/snapback][/center]
Well, anyway, ive read most REALLY successful people never weant to college.[/b]

There are two problems with this logic. First, like someone mentioned before, the number of people that didn't go to college and are successfull are grossly outnumbered by those that did, and that difference is growing with each year. Second, the type of person that is going to be successfull sans a college degree (think Einstein) were either going to be successfull anyway because they are brilliant and/or personally motivated, or lucked into a well-paying position.

I don't know your uncle personally, but he is likely either very motivated, very intelligent, very lucky, or all of the above, lol. Are you any of those? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drache @ Oct 16 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]125933[/snapback][/center]
In college you choose what classes you want to take (except the few required for all degrees, but they are a joke) and which professor. Yes, each class has a curriculum that is required and that the professor feels covers the topic, but if you feel the professor is not teaching enough of the subject there is nothing stopping you from learning more on your own time.
There are two problems with this logic. First, like someone mentioned before, the number of people that didn't go to college and are successfull are grossly outnumbered by those that did, and that difference is growing with each year. Second, the type of person that is going to be successfull sans a college degree (think Einstein) were either going to be successfull anyway because they are brilliant and/or personally motivated, or lucked into a well-paying position.

I don't know your uncle personally, but he is likely either very motivated, very intelligent, very lucky, or all of the above, lol. Are you any of those? :p
[/b]

Wow, what college did you go to, because for my degrees i've got almost no choice in what to take. I've got electives that the university makes me take. But my college pretty much has a set choice on what you have to take.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whewa @ Oct 16 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]125951[/snapback][/center]
Wow, what college did you go to, because for my degrees i've got almost no choice in what to take. I've got electives that the university makes me take. But my college pretty much has a set choice on what you have to take.
[/b]
Yeah, you chose your degree(s) right? That is a choice in classes. And there are always some options within that degree.

For example in my major I had maybe 4 required and 8 - 10 to choose from for the remaining credits, but it's been so long I don't remember exactly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drache @ Oct 16 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]125955[/snapback][/center]
Yeah, you chose your degree(s) right? That is a choice in classes. And there are always some options within that degree.
[/b]

haha, I understand what you're getting at now.....maybe I need to stay in college longer :(

idk. Ive had an above average IQ after about 3 tests done and im very self motivated in terms of anything im interested in. maybe i'll get lucky who knows. Hey, im still 18 and i dont know shit from shit- i know this, and i hope i can figure out what im doing soon cause it's always easier to start young.

I too say NO. At this point in life I have a good chunk set aside to begin my retirement savings, whereas had I gone to college I would be over my head in student loans still and probably not making too much more than current. In the US Army, we have the 'Check of the month' club. After 20 years we can retire and receive 1/2 of the pay at time of retirement for the rest of your life. For those that think of military men as mindless goons or folks who just couldn't hack it in college, I was accepted to attend MIT with an Aerospace Engineering major in 1999. $35k/year for tuition? F that!

Back