David Beckham coming to US

zanax

Non-contributing Editor
Beckham to play for MLS team in LA. The worst part, it isn't DC United.

LONDON, England -- David Beckham is leaving Real Madrid to pursue a new career in Major League Soccer in the United States, ABC news is reporting on Thursday.

"I've played now for two of the biggest clubs in the world. I've played at the highest level for 15 years, and now I think I need another challenge," Beckham is quoted on the ABC News Web site.

Major League Soccer spokesman Dan Courtmanche told the Press Association that Beckham's representatives were in talks with Los Angeles Galaxy.

But CNN's Pedro Pinto, reporting from Madrid, said Beckham's representatives were still locked in talks with Real Madrid officials on Thursday over a possible new deal at the Bernabeu

Beckham himself has been training with teammates in Madrid.

His future has been the subject of intense speculation following reported remarks by Real's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic, who claimed that the football icon's contract would not be renewed.

Beckham, who became free to talk with other clubs after January 1, has been linked with a number of top clubs in Europe as well as the Los Angeles Galaxy who play in the MLS.

Beckham has a number of business interests in California and a thriving soccer school.

The former England captain joined Real in July 2003 from Manchester United and was quickly labeled as a `galactico'.

But he has failed to land a trophy at the Bernabeu and under new coach Fabio Capello has spent much of the season on the replacements' bench, starting only seven of 25 matches.

Beckham has reportedly been stalling on a new two-year deal from Real because of his lack of first team opportunities.

Off the field Beckham's profile and commercial appeal shows no sign of waning, but on the pitch the past year has seen the 31-year-old suffer a series of disappointments, culminating in England's exit to Portugal in the quarterfinals of the World Cup.

Beckham announced he was standing down as England captain after the defeat and has been left out of recent squads by new manager Steve McClaren.

It is a far cry from his glory days at Manchester United where he won four English Premier League titles and the Champions League as they memorably won the treble in 1999.

But his relationship with manager Sir Alex Ferguson soured during 2003 and he joined Real to much fanfare.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cubby @ Jan 11 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]139018[/snapback][/center]
welcome to the european retirement league :p
[/b]

Freddy Adu left DC United for Salt Lake City - I wouldn't be surprised if you see him playing in Europe 2 years from now.

Many major european soccer players leave UEFA and come to the U.S. when they get older. 40 year old Christo Stoichkov did the same when he played for the Chicago Fire. Shows you that U.S. soccer is at par with the playing abilities of a 40 year old world class soccer player

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zanax @ Jan 12 2007, 02:14 AM) [snapback]139022[/snapback][/center]
Freddy Adu left DC United for Salt Lake City - I wouldn't be surprised if you see him playing in Europe 2 years from now.
[/b]

yeah i live in slc but lets put this into perspective ... who does adu say he wants to play .. real madrid and who has franchise ties to our team slc real ? lol well real madrid of course ... adu is eligible to play in eurpoe at the age of 18 which is less than a year for him ... imo real madrid has financially backed the big money signing and adu will play this year here then its adieu adu :p see ya in madrid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 11 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]139025[/snapback][/center]
Many major european soccer players leave UEFA and come to the U.S. when they get older. 40 year old Christo Stoichkov did the same when he played for the Chicago Fire. Shows you that U.S. soccer is at par with the playing abilities of a 40 year old world class soccer player
[/b]
Let's face facts... Taxes in the UK are very high compared to America. We (American's) bitch about high taxes, well... In the UK, they are outrageously high. Nice contract, hot wife, low taxes... he should never complain... Lol.

He only went for the money haha, he is way passed his best however playing in such a poor league maybe show him a better player than he is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zanax @ Jan 11 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]139022[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

He tried out for Man U and hes shit. They sent him packing within a week.

He's the most overate little piece crap I've seen. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tharreta @ Jan 11 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]139084[/snapback][/center]
Let's face facts... Taxes in the UK are very high compared to America. We (American's) bitch about high taxes, well... In the UK, they are outrageously high. Nice contract, hot wife, low taxes... he should never complain... Lol.
[/b]

In a America taxes are low, because you pay for everything yourself, nothing is subsidised.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Merlyn @ Jan 12 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]139163[/snapback][/center]
2 mil a week...he could finance Bush's little war,,, [/b]

Oh, I see what you did there...you made a political pun! :rolleyes:

more likely I was being sarcastic and bitchy but your way makes me sound smarter.

I mean seriously what the fuck can you spend that much money on???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Merlyn @ Jan 13 2007, 04:41 AM) [snapback]139186[/snapback][/center]
I mean seriously what the fuck can you spend that much money on???
[/b]
Handlers.

His team contract is not for 250 million. It's his contract plus endorsements.

Still, it's alot no matter how you explain it.

Back