Advertising and Entertainment in Sports

TLuassa

Now i know that advertising is needed in most sports teams accross the world as it brings in large sums of money to the teams in which they can use to buy new players and improve. My team Arsenal last year took a 300 milion pound sum to rename their new stadium after a Airline, which is now called Emirates Stadium instead of Ashburton Grove. Most Arsenal fans hate the name and still use Ashburton Grove when talking about the stadium. However the money was needed to finance the stadium and to move the team forward. I understand this happens a lot in the USA with NFL teams and would like to know how you fans feel about your team selling out for money, as it is highly regarded in the uk as a bad thing.

Secondly, in the US sport there are many attraction over than sport going on during a game. For instance Cheerleaders. Over here we dont use cheerleaders and i am glad. Im sure if we used cheerleaders for football games the common thing would be "Get The Fuck Out The Way, im trying to watch the football" shouts from the stands. We go to football, to watch football not to watch girls in short skirts and tops. Also you guys like to use half time shows, (not sure if its only the super bowl or not) but if at half time of the Champions League i had an hour show of britney spears, im pretty sure that every fan in the stadium would boo and demand the football to start after 15 minutes. Surely you go to the game to watch the sport and you dont want to listen to music. I cant help the players who have to wait an hour to get back to playing and must be frustrating for the fans who just want to watch the sport.

Long ass post :D

Cheerleaders aren't that big of a deal. The only time you really see them (watching the game on TV) is right as they're breaking to a commercial.

Halftime gives the players a chance to piss and get directions for the second half. It's better to have a halftime show to pass the time than to just sit there. I think the super bowl is the only game where they extend halftime because of the show.

But does it take an hour to give direction on how to improve? I mean to have a concert at half time is insane. The players muscles would have cooled down, which means they will have to go through there walm ups again.

Surely a 15 mins to 30 mins half time is more suitable. Do they normally have a hour half time at every NFL game?

I Stand by my cheerleader comment, they are not needed and just get in the way. I could imagine the ball goes out for a goal kick and a group of cheerleaders run on the pitch lol. We must see sport different over here.

I'm pretty sure normal halftimes are 15-20 minutes. The super bowl is the only one that's extended. Personally I never watch that halftime show anyway, so I think it's not needed.

I understand your cheerleader comment, but you're making it more of an issue than it really is. They're far off the field in the first place, and the way stadium seating is there's no way they'd ever get between you and the action.

aww ok i see, clears it up more now. Dont you fans complain about the super bowl half time? surely the players must hate it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T'Luassa @ Oct 5 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]123654[/snapback][/center]
aww ok i see, clears it up more now. Dont you fans complain about the super bowl half time? surely the players must hate it.
[/b]

100% HATE the super bowl half time non-sense.

Cheerleaders? My team don't have em, been to games when they are there, usually ignore them. They do make a great lingere calender though. Example

The one HUGE fight in the US in advertising in sports is "on-field advertising". They want to CG ads on the playing field during play. I have seen them in soccer games reguarily, and it is a big fight in football about it. So far they have kept ads to walls and backstops, not on the actual field. But, I fear that time soon approaches.

Hey my teams' stadiums are all named after teams or establishments, not comapnies:
Yankee Stadium (baseball), Giants Stadium (NFL, MLS). Madison Square Garden (basketball/hockey). So, can't help you there ;)

Yeah well Araenal always had their own name for the old stadium "Highbury" just seems they have sold out for money.

Back