Settle a debate for Neils

Settle a debate for Neils

• B (Because...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D (What I would want most given the back story is...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neils Bohr

Back story:

For those of you who don't know, I'm working as a consultant for a small web development company. We provide low-cost Do-It-Yourself websites complete with custom url, in house graphic design, monthly training seminars and live support based in the US. The base cost for this service $299 a year. We have hourly rates for live setup assistance and graphic design for $50 per hour with a minimum of 2 hours ($100). The average yearly subscription fee for our clients is $349.

Knowing this information, what sounds more attractive:

A. Add-on packages that include blog setup, social networking, forums, and ecommerce solutions (like online stores, newsletters, email).

B. A referral program that included a feature where you could make $25 every time someone bought at least a premium subscription and kept it for a minimum of 31 days. They would enter your name and an email address for you so we could contact you to find out where to send the check.

C. A monthly contest where the client who's website gets the most hits in a month gets $199, minimum of 1000 hits in 30 days.

If you want to see it click here.

Last edited:
A - pay as you go seems to me to make the most sense here. As for how much to pay, I'm just gonna shrug. That's outside my realm of expertise and level of need.

I work for a web development company and I can tell you that most of our clients want option A. I'd charge at least an extra $5-$10 a month per feature.

Last edited:
I agree with the nerds above me, choice 'A' sounds like the one that makes the most sense.

I say A. It sounds like a good marketing plan to offer a "Customer Support and interactivity" package for say a $25 addition a month. I think you could get away with blogs and forums for $25 a month let alone e-commerce. That should be a whole nothing package at a much higher price. I'm sure you know how much that software can be. (at least my web teacher made it sound mad expensive, I'm no expert)

Thank you guys for all the good feed back. Our main forum, localisupport is almost completely functional. If you guys want an idea of the features we're looking to offer feel free to check it out. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

What's sad is that I'd do this for friends and family for no charge. I'd make them pay for the web server space and domain name, but I'd set them up with whatever they wanted. If they wanted software that cost something, they'd also have to pay for it. But for doing the work/design? Nah. You can get free software pretty easily these days - just have to know where to get it, and most of the software is very easy to use.

Wow I'm the only one who picked C, why? Well because you have a chance to win money! :p

What's sad is that I'd do this for friends and family for no charge. I'd make them pay for the web server space and domain name, but I'd set them up with whatever they wanted. If they wanted software that cost something, they'd also have to pay for it. But for doing the work/design? Nah. You can get free software pretty easily these days - just have to know where to get it, and most of the software is very easy to use.

Tiv: We have a basic option for people who are web savvy enough (or know someone web savvy enough) to create their own web content. In cases like those we bill them for reserving the domain name and for search engine optimization. A person like yourself could use our basic option and purchase a domain name through us and pay less than $9 for the year. If you want to know more, let me know and I can PM you with the details.

Curse: I think we're still going to implement that promotion but we're still deciding when.

I was going to vote D) with some joke upon websites and atoms, but the reference was too thin, even for me.

Back