Alternative to Ads: Your suggestions

Stavrose

Fried Yoda
Staff member
OK, the ads are here for a month, just so I can observe their performance. If I see that it's pointless to have them, I'll take them down.

Next, I want to clarify why I did it: Last year's operating costs were around $500, and I'm looking at at least another $500 this year (depending on whether or not I get this licensing bullshit resolved). In comparison, if you bought and had a SWG subscription for 3 years, you'd have spent roughly a little less than $600. I'm just trying to find a way to ease the load in the most unintrusive way possible.

Donations have always been a big thing people have suggested. So I guess I should clear up why I have not done it:

First of all, I don't feel it to be right to be asking you for money. I don't want your money, it's not fair to you to have to pay for this site. Second, I'm also against donations because of all the freeloaders that will exist. A handful of people will donate, and even a smaller number will frequently donate. The majority of the people will not. It isn't fair to those who do and do it regularly to spend their money so everyone else can hop along for a free ride. And having everyone pay a fee just to register and post is completely out of the question.

I've noticed that many high-volume forums have special sections and incentives for people who donate. Maybe we can do something like that? I'm open to all suggestions. But don't hate me for doing this, I rarely ask anyone on these forums for anything that involves personal favors. Furthermore, I'm not asking you to give me all the money required for the site to stay up and running. Even if 10% of the costs (which I'm aiming at with the ads) is a big help. I don't have a large disposable income (tuition fees are going up again, they're already at $7500 a quarter not including books) and I'm picking up an extra shift next quarter.

Again, any suggestions are appreciated in order to find an unobtrusive solution that won't (a) piss everyone off, or (B) not be pointles because people can just bypass it (aka, adblockers).

I don't really mind ads at all. I think we are all pretty much used to them anyway from every other site on the web. If they were really obtrusive and annoying ads I'd just block them with my ad blocker anyway so I wouldn't care either way.

I say keep the ads and whatever you have to do to pay for the site. Just as long as they are not the kind of ads that actually require people to click through them to count it; 'cause I just ignore ads and you wouldn't be making any money that way.

Oh and if you get those ads that overlay over top of the site until you click them then I will hunt you down :p .Just as long as it's something that just sits there in the corner or top of the screen and we can just ignore it while it serves its purpose is fine.

I don't mind the ads either especially if they help you out Stav but I am with the hunting you down if you get those nasty layontop ads

The ads seem fine, doesn't bother me just having them sit at the top of my screen there, the pop up kind are the only thing which would bother me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Mar 20 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]149326[/snapback][/center]
I still say WH'ies gear depending on the cost.
[/b]

I like this idea.
Travel mugs, T-shirts, hats, etc.
Maybe even official WH beanies :p

Can I put my order in for a Rankin Bass shot glass right now?
How about a tea cozy?

In any case, I wouldn't mind the ads even if I could see them.

Do what you need to do to feed the hamsters, Stav. You put a lot of work into this site as it is and we are all very appreciative.

I do like the wanderhomies store idea, though :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Madrigal @ Mar 20 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]149384[/snapback][/center]
Can I put my order in for a Rankin Bass shot glass right now?
How about a tea cozy?

In any case, I wouldn't mind the ads even if I could see them.

Do what you need to do to feed the hamsters, Stav. You put a lot of work into this site as it is and we are all very appreciative.

I do like the wanderhomies store idea, though :)
[/b]
I support this message. :pirate:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tirrem @ Mar 21 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]149544[/snapback][/center]
Personally I like the gear idea. I wouldnt mind having a wanderhomies mug or something.
[/b]

Depending how cool it is, I would buy/wear a WH'ies t-shirt LOL.

EDIT : I mean how cool it LOOKS, k, like style-wise

I agree the ads are a bit unobtrusive and every forum site I go to has them now so they are nothing new. The merching Idea is great but unfortunately with that type of marketing the profit is small and you have to put money upfront to get started on it. But if you were to do it stav I would definitly by some things.....they make great gifts :D

Back