Metric System

Darein

Retired SWG Bounty Hunter
Seems everything is measured in the metric system except for time. 60 seconds per minute, 24 hours per day, 365 days a year, and so on.

I was just thinking, if the metric system is so great, why not use it for time too?!

:D

omg think of the chaos that would cause if we had to switch over to a metric time telling system,!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darein @ Apr 12 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]69711[/snapback][/center]
Seems everything is measured in the metric system except for time. 60 seconds per minute, 24 hours per day, 365 days a year, and so on.

I was just thinking, if the metric system is so great, why not use it for time too?!

:D
[/b]
The metric system for time was never implemented, there is one dividing a day into 10 hours, an hour into 100 minutes and a minute into 100 seconds, iirc it was also supposed to have 10 days per week. It was implemented during the frensh revolution but didn't last very long.

The main reason not to change time into metric units would be that there is no point to it, you can calculate everything using the SI-unit seconds, every constant is based on the second as a time unit. At most you require one or two extra calculations (minutes/hours to seconds and back) to get the results on the appropriate units. Since any "real" problem takes in excess of a million calculations that extra line to convert from seconds to minutes isn't a major problem, and is done by a computer faster than you can notice.

The main reason to use the metric system is uniformity, since you wouldn' thave to calculate how much a BTU/ft^2 is every freaking time just to understand how large it is.

The metric system was very helpful in the pre-computer age, now the transformations can be done with a computer so easily it isn't really an issue. The main thing with SI-units is the uniformity.

The Americans (myself included) (sorry USA'ians to be specific) can't even use the regular metric system. You want us to use one for time? PAH!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Apr 12 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]69800[/snapback][/center]
The Americans (myself included) (sorry USA'ians to be specific) can't even use the regular metric system. You want us to use one for time? PAH!
[/b]

Some of us USA'ians use metric system all the time and are well versed on conversion rates sans computers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 12 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]69873[/snapback][/center]
Some of us USA'ians use metric system all the time and are well versed on conversion rates sans computers.
[/b]

You poor thing. I never use metric. Er...well almost never. I have a general idea of conversion though thanks to the exchange kids and going to Europe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Apr 12 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]69874[/snapback][/center]
You poor thing. I never use metric. Er...well almost never. I have a general idea of conversion though thanks to the exchange kids and going to Europe.
[/b]

Eh, it's simple...I prefer the metric system (of course) especially for my old job, dealing with miles vs. kilometers vs. nautical miles was really a pain in the ass.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Apr 12 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]69874[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
Metric system is quite easy compared to the English system.

100 centimeters = 1 meter
1000 meters = 1 kilometer

Compared to...

12 inches = 1 feet
3.something = 1 yard
some quantity of yard = a mile.

quite complicated stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Apr 12 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]69924[/snapback][/center]
Metric system is quite easy compared to the English system.

100 centimeters = 1 meter
1000 meters = 1 kilometer

Compared to...

12 inches = 1 foot
3 feet = 1 yard
1760 yards = 1 mile.

quite complicated stuff.
[/b]

Fixed.

lol yeah i know what it is, just i tend to use the imperial one a lot say for my weight or height. i have no idea what my weight or height is in metric

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Apr 12 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]69940[/snapback][/center]
lol yeah i know what it is, just i tend to use the imperial one a lot say for my weight or height. i have no idea what my weight or height is in metric
[/b]

Well, since:

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilogram
1 inch = 0.0254 meter

You can easily do it for yourself now.

When I lived in scotland as a small child I started with the imperial system, then we went metric and I learned that then we moved to Newfoundland where everything was still in imperial then it all went metric and now I am just confused. height and weight in imperial, fabric in meters, distance god knows... temp in metric...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 12 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]69945[/snapback][/center]
Well, since:

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilogram
1 inch = 0.0254 meter

You can easily do it for yourself now. [/b]

yeah i can do that in my head easily.......not

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Apr 12 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]69951[/snapback][/center]
yeah i can do that in my head easily.......not
[/b]

/whisper you're on a computer silly. Computers come equipped with calculators.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 12 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]69952[/snapback][/center]
/whisper you're on a computer silly. Computers come equipped with calculators.
[/b]

My two best friends... -> run-> calc

and Excel. :D

Back