Anyone read any good books lately

jandore

the topic says it all, looking for a good read. Doesn't have to be a novel im big into non fiction as well jsut bored and interested to see if theres anyhtign outt here i should check out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandore @ Dec 11 2005, 10:38 PM) [snapback]9339[/snapback][/center]
the topic says it all, looking for a good read. Doesn't have to be a novel im big into non fiction as well jsut bored and interested to see if theres anyhtign outt here i should check out.
[/b]

Yeah best book in the world....
The life and BOOBIES of Nivekella Rae
hahahahah

no in all seriousness
have read alot lately
The Martian Triologies by E. Burroughs
Number of the Beast by Heinlein
Necroscope series by Lumley
and forgot title of HP Lovecraft book

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nivekella @ Dec 11 2005, 10:52 PM) [snapback]9340[/snapback][/center]
Yeah best book in the world....
The life and BOOBIES of Nivekella Rae
hahahahah

no in all seriousness
have read alot lately
The Martian Triologies by E. Burroughs
Number of the Beast by Heinlein
Necroscope series by Lumley
and forgot title of HP Lovecraft book
[/b]

yay random mention of boobies ina post askign about books :/

Last few books I've read are Prey, State of Fear both by Crichton and The Terminal Man... also by Crichton. I've read a lot of Crichton lately o_O. I also read a super funny book but I forget what its called, I'll post it tomorrow when I go upstairs where my bookbag is :mellow:

Not in any particular order

heir to the Empire - Timothy Zahn ( for the billionth time)

X-Wing Isard's revenge - Stackpole

Harry Potter and the half blood Prince - JK Rowling

Hyperion - Dan Simmons

The Adventure of English - Melvyn Bragg

Magdalena and Balthasar - An intimate portrait of life in 16th C europe revealed in the letters of a Nuremberg Husband and wife - Steven Ozment

Hackers - Steven levey

The Kyle Katarn books ( Dark Forces) based on the jk games - William C Dietz

that's about it

War Of The Worlds by H G Wells
far better than the films
Hunt For Red October is a very good read
and Playboy which is out every month

If you are into fantasy The Last Herald Mage Trilogy is an excellent read and an excellent introduction to the world of Mercedes Lackey. I have read these books coountless times :lol:

Or if you need something funny, Anything from Terry Pratchett will do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandore @ Dec 12 2005, 01:38 PM) [snapback]9339[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

Sphere is good science fiction, so is Timeline. they're both Crichton books.

A really good book that isn't science fiction though "The Perks of Being A Wallflower"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandore @ Dec 12 2005, 01:38 PM) [snapback]9339[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

O! Also, the ENTIRE Ender's Game series is phenomenal.

Id advise the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It is a 7 part book, and will take some time, being the smallest book is like over 300 pages, and the largest is a hair under 1,000 pages, 7 books in all. Great read, my personal fav books EVER. and the style he uses to write is nothing like in his other books. its more of the Lord of The Rings genre.
Or my 2nd opinion would be any of the Bauchman books (ie Stephen king writing as someone else).
Every one of his books are great reads, stay suspensefulk and have lotsa twists. IMHO some of the Bauchman books are better by far then Kings real work

Dark Tower Series is an awesome Series.

There isn't a book you could put in front of me I won't read. Lately, I've been into romance novels more than others, but I love Sci Fi, Fantasy, vampires, Shakespear, you name it I love it.

So to take a different approach - I absolutely adore the series by Diana Gabaladon (sp?). The first book is Outlander. It's about a woman who goes back in time to Scotland and is forced to marry a Jacobean Scot. It's a fun read.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Dec 13 2005, 01:56 AM) [snapback]9509[/snapback][/center]
Dark Tower Series is an awesome Series.

There isn't a book you could put in front of me I won't read. Lately, I've been into romance novels more than others, but I love Sci Fi, Fantasy, vampires, Shakespear, you name it I love it.

So to take a different approach - I absolutely adore the series by Diana Gabaladon (sp?). The first book is Outlander. It's about a woman who goes back in time to Scotland and is forced to marry a Jacobean Scot. It's a fun read.
[/b]
one GREAT GREAT book is Earth Abides (cant think of auther but its a classic most places will know)
Its about a virus that kills like 99% of the population on earth, but while this is ghoing on the main character gets bitten by a snake at a cabin in the middle of nowhere and the venom acts as a counter to the virus so he wakes up from his coma to find everyone else is dead. but one thing is the it was wrote in the 40s, but it sounds like it was written in our age. great book

Wow great responses and you all have showed me a way to head, i think im about to go spend about 400 bucks on amazon. My problem is i read too damn fast lol. Some of the books mentioned i have read and soem are wortha re read so ill save some casht hat way but theres some up there im gonna hunt down for sure. Like Earth Abides Sounds really interesting. And for sure will reread the darktower series but the oent hat really pops out to me is Magdalena and Balthasar.

The last 10 books i have read were:

1) Germs and Steel by jared diamond
2) Mary Mary by james Patterson
3) The Annotated Christmas Carol Edited by Patrick hearn
4) Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald ( Readit every couple of months my favorite book of all time)
5) john Adams by Mc cullough
6) Treatise on Spanish BlackSMithing Techniques from th 14th -19th century.
7) The First American H.W. Brand
8)The great Shark Hunt by HUnter S. Thompson
9) The regulators by Richard Bachmann
10) Representative Men Ralph Waldo Emerson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandore @ Dec 13 2005, 07:24 AM) [snapback]9830[/snapback][/center]
Wow great responses and you all have showed me a way to head, i think im about to go spend about 400 bucks on amazon. My problem is i read too damn fast lol. Some of the books mentioned i have read and soem are wortha re read so ill save some casht hat way but theres some up there im gonna hunt down for sure. Like Earth Abides Sounds really interesting. And for sure will reread the darktower series but the oent hat really pops out to me is Magdalena and Balthasar.

The last 10 books i have read were:

1) Germs and Steel by jared diamond
2) Mary Mary by james Patterson
3) The Annotated Christmas Carol Edited by Patrick hearn
4) Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald ( Readit every couple of months my favorite book of all time)
5) john Adams by Mc cullough
6) Treatise on Spanish BlackSMithing Techniques from th 14th -19th century.
7) The First American H.W. Brand
8)The great Shark Hunt by HUnter S. Thompson
9) The regulators by Richard Bachmann
10) Representative Men Ralph Waldo Emerson
[/b]
good book, but The Running Man and The Long Walk, and Thinner were alot better, and all wrote when he was still writing as bachmann
lol and heres a little known fact- he chose the name Bachmann cause it was his mother maiden name, and he did it to see if anyone would buy his books. Not 1 went on a bestsellers list, until he was forced to "co0me out of the closet", then every one of the Bachmann books went to the #1 bestseller.

Letters From Father Christmas / Father Christmas Letters - JRR Tolkien (collected letters from Santa to his kids)
On The Beach - Nevil Shute (post-nuclear stuff from Australia, creepy scenario)
Designing Virtual Worlds - Richard A. Bartle (read this if you're into MMO design)
A Man on the Moon - Andrew Chaikin (Apollo program stuff)

Yes On the beach was a great book. Sure most of us chilren of the 80's had to read it and it scared the hell out of us while we were constantly o the verge with the USSR.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandore @ Dec 12 2005, 04:15 PM) [snapback]9863[/snapback][/center]
Yes On the beach was a great book. Sure most of us chilren of the 80's had to read it and it scared the hell out of us while we were constantly o the verge with the USSR.
[/b]
WarDay was also good. The Day After didn't scare the piss out of me as much as Reagan himself did.

Back