Taxes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zana @ Jan 23 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]140936[/snapback][/center]
Can't you make it so they withdraw some more from your paycheck each month so you don't have to pay back any when it's time to do taxes? One can here in Sweden so I never need to pay back. One just have to talk to the taxcompany or the boss. This way I always get some back :)
(It's around 31% generally, and I have them withdraw roughly 33% or so. Works like a charm, and one doesn't have to worry about paying back... Far from everyone in Sweden does this tho)

They do all the tax stuff for you here in Sweden as well (Not for companies, just private taxes). One only has to look it through more or less, and see so they haven't forgotten anything. But besides that you just have to sign it. :) And if one haven't sold anything one can do the taxes on the net or send a text message on the cellphone - handy! ^_^

[/b]

People in the U.S. can do that, and most do, and most try to overpay a little bit so as to avoid the risk of underpayment penalties. Filling out tax returns is easy as long as you don't have any complications. However, if you buy a house and pay a mortgage, you immediately put yourself into a complication state, and you have to fill out a much more complex tax return. The complexity kind of goes up exponentially according to your level of income and how many different ways you owe money, save money, and give money away. "Safety net" services such as health care and retirement are also not integrated into a single system (much less a single agency) in the U.S., and each of those has multiple choices that bring additional complications. There's a reason the U.S. has more accountants and lawyers than anywhere else: they write the tax laws to ensure their own necessity.

Back