Sony PS3 is winning the war.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Jan 24 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]141137[/snapback][/center]
I haven't bought one. I just think it's asinine to tout numbers. There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics. You're going on the assumption that all of these are purchases that people have pulled out of the box and played. I bet more than a quarter of those were purchases to be price gouged on the internet and how many did those actually sell....i seriously doubt that many.

I'm not the one cryin, since I'm not the one desperate to pull numbers to attempt to mask what the PS3 has launched as...a complete failure. If Sony is going to talk the talk, they had better come out walkin the walk.

And here's what CNN has to say.
[/b]

Those news reports dont lie my friend, personally I think we could argue about this all night.

Do you know marketing? Do you know what a Life Cycle is?

800pxproductlifecycle9or.png

Ok , Here's some info Life Cycle. The strategy of Nintendo is to sell shitloads obviously, but in 3 years time I see the Wii going the way of the Gamecube, and the PS3 having sales figures to match the PS2's nearly 200 million. In consideration I have a Wii it's a nice party piece, but dosen't cut the mustard, when you want a crisp game of Ridge Racer, or MK.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Akieo @ Jan 24 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]141136[/snapback][/center]
Clarify? PS3. 'Nuff said.
[/b]

R-tard :blush:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kamui @ Jan 24 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]141144[/snapback][/center]
THIS is passion. ;)
[/b]

There's a rumor that he works for Sony, so he may just be saying what he has to say to eat. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Poldano @ Jan 24 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]141152[/snapback][/center]
There's a rumor that he works for Sony, so he may just be saying what he has to say to eat. ;)
[/b]

Nah, I like the Wii, I like the Xbox 360, I helped market the Xbo 360, when I was looking after Fifa retail.

It just pains me to see the hatred here.

I make a pledge now.

I will post no more shit on this forum about the PS3, or any other related Sony product.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Jan 24 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]141156[/snapback][/center]
I make a pledge now.

I will post no more shit on this forum about the PS3, or any other related Sony product.
[/b]

I do like the PSP. Makes traveling actually enjoyable. Any news on a PSP 2?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Akieo @ Jan 24 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]141159[/snapback][/center]
I do like the PSP. Makes traveling actually enjoyable. Any news on a PSP 2?
[/b]

I'll send you a PM, :lol:

I play my ps2 more than my wii, wii was fun for a week then the new controller than wii put everything into became boring they games which are just re-runs of old games reconfigured to the new controller got boring and i stopped playing it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T'Luassa @ Jan 24 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]141161[/snapback][/center]
I play my ps2 more than my wii, wii was fun for a week then the new controller than wii put everything into became boring they games which are just re-runs of old games reconfigured to the new controller got boring and i stopped playing it.
[/b]
See? And then ppl say they are fun. Why not get the old game?

I still think the Wii is fun. Really disappointed that Red Steel has to be one of the worst games I've ever played, though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Jan 24 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]141150[/snapback][/center]
Those news reports dont lie my friend, personally I think we could argue about this all night.

Do you know marketing? Do you know what a Life Cycle is?

Ok , Here's some info Life Cycle. The strategy of Nintendo is to sell shitloads obviously, but in 3 years time I see the Wii going the way of the Gamecube, and the PS3 having sales figures to match the PS2's nearly 200 million. In consideration I have a Wii it's a nice party piece, but dosen't cut the mustard, when you want a crisp game of Ridge Racer, or MK.
R-tard :blush:
[/b]

I understand life-cycle, and market timing, and so forth.

The risk with a longer life-cycle is that the product's market timing may be off. The higher COGS of the longer-lived product either reduces profitability (or increases lead-loss, depending) or risks loss of market share early in the cycle. As the cost per unit of processing power falls, other companies may be able to leapfrog the PS3 with new products with similar power at a much lower cost, before the PS3 achieves momentum. Of course, the PS3 may benefit from a redesign of its internals to lower the cost and keep "PS3" brand recognition, thereby neutralizing its competitors' leapfrogging. But in order to take advantage of the brand recognition, it has to establish itself in the first place. I figure it's got at most a year to establish itself.

The other factor to consider is that companies are not selling game boxes, they are selling entire game product lines. If succeeding variations on a product line of game boxes are below some pain threshold in terms of purchase price and compatibility, customers don't really find it noxious to buy a more capable one. PS1 and PS2 are excellent examples. An existing library of playable games can be an incentive to upgrade to a new box from the same vendor, especially if it has been engineered to enhance the playability of popular games in the library.

It is my understanding that Sony is not just selling a game product line in the PS3, but is shooting for an entire entertainment media technology as well, i.e., Blue-Ray. The obvious risk, discussed at nauseating length in the trade press, is that passing on the cost of the Blue-Ray components and other advanced technology to customers will reduce market share for the box, and therefore work against the strategy that the box was intended to assist, i.e., making Blue-Ray a de facto industry standard. Marketing the box as a game engine targets it at a more price-restricted customer base than the general home-entertainment customer base, which evidently does not have pocket-challenging issues blowing 5K on a wide-screen TV.

The preferred approach to maximizing early market share would have been to launch the box with a line of good games and Blue-Ray disks ready to go, aimed at a customer base with the money to burn on awesome home theater equipment. I understand that Sony was not willing to go with this strategy because the media division was taking it in the shorts. So Sony perhaps committed the very common marketing blunder of demanding that a successful smaller product line be the wedge in a desperate attempt to shore up the failing fortunes of a larger product line. I've seen that approach used several times. More often than not, the result is that the smaller product line gets its hull blown out, while the larger product line continues to take on water with no measurable benefit from the sacrifice. Like I said before, I figure Sony has a year to pull it off.

Nice reply Poldano, Its late here as I would make a more constructive response.

Screw it, here goes:

In the 1st paragraph you talk about high cog configuration, and I state this is the way Sony does things, same with the PS, and PS2. I also agree the PS3 will be a loss leader in its initial phase, but as econmies of scale kick in, we are looking at substantial price point changes. With continued R and D support this can be reduced obviously, but with any new piece of technology that enters into the market, we must consider the massive costs of development also. As of current the Cell Processor is not being used to its full capacity, see today's post in my blog for information about Sony's new Cellius venture. Yes, the benefit of re-designs is foreseeable in the future, as which happened to the Playstation with the PSOne, and PS2 Slim line. The current Playstation brand is strong overall, but as you predicted, and which I agree the PS3 has less than as predicted a 16 month window for brand integration. This Christmas will be key to the success or failure of the Playstation 3, just as Christmas 2006 sealed Microsoft’s Xbox 360's success.

In the 2nd Paragraph I agree that current game franchises on the PS, PSOne, and PS2, are well established, and this is being backed up by record sales of the PS2, which is breaking all Sony’s predictions last year. All I can say is that new franchises are in the works and new games are coming. One of the biggest decisions on the PS3 was the joypad. The reason Sony kept the same joypad design, was because they felt it fitted all the ergonomic needs of the customer, and why mess with something that’s not broke?

Thirdly, yes the system is an Entertainment System, but saying Sony is not selling it as gaming utility box is ridiculous. I state again, please read my blog entry on Cellius, and or search the news wires. Yes, Blue Ray is a gigantic risk, but shouldn't Sony be given props for jumping off the cliff first? The HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray issue is nearly over just as + and - was an issue for DVD R's is now gone. There will always be issues and massive debates about new technologies, and this is why companies like Sony, Toshiba, Microsoft, and others invest in them. Remember this is the company who helped create the first Walkman, and CD player. I'm not one to support the marketing of the Blue Ray and trying to make it the de facto standard, I am one to market its strengths in its storage. More storage equals more content for the gamer, Its just unfortunate its taken a long time for developers to learn the Cell’s new architecture.

Initially my opinion is Sony wanted everything to launch with the PS3, but after a year of delay, and developers just not investing the money in game development, things had to be done. If Sony had not launched in November the PS3 would not have had the chance to mature before Christmas 2007. Yes, I'd say the Price point was, and still is too high, due to lack of supply and economies of scale, but I predict a massive drop by the end of the year, so that consumers can get their HD fix. My advice is don’t rush into things, look at the Ge Force 8800, $600, and that’s doesn’t even play games, A PS3 does.

Consumers’ will decide Sony’s fate; all I can do is to make sure they buy into the HD Revolution, and the Next Generation of gaming. Currently the mobile market is booming with a massive increase is PSP purchases, and continued development in turning the PSP into a movie player.

What will happen, only time will tell.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cahnuuk @ Jan 25 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]141168[/snapback][/center]
Bananaman says wait for the price drop:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156655

:)

Jack Tretton, now there's a man that's disconnected from reality. Ebay, lol.
[/b]

Spin for sure. :lol: :lol:

I was in target, and got reminded of this thread.

There were 5 60gig PS3s sitting there just waiting to be bought, but the only problem was no one was buying them. Best buy has 5 out, and 20 back in their warehouse.

If that isn't winning, I don't know what is. ;)

PS. Best buy got a shippment of Wii's in and there was a line waiting for them before they opened, about 2 months after their launch :blink:

European Release:

"To be able to launch with over 30 titles including retail versions and great downloadable gaming experiences across every genre shows that this is our strongest launch line-up in the history of PlayStation, and is what PlayStation fans in the UK have been crying out for."

The full list of launch day software is as follows:

Resistance: Fall of Man - SCEE - Disc
MotorStorm - SCEE - Disc
Genji: Days of the Blade - SCEE - Disc
FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - SCEE - Disc
Ridge Racer 7 - SCEE - Disc
Tekken: Dark Resurrection - SCEE - Network
Lemmings - SCEE - Network
Go! Sudoku - SCEE - Network
Go! Puzzle - SCEE - Network
Blast Factor - SCEE - Network
flOw - SCEE - Network
Super Rub'a'Dub - SCEE - Network
Call of Duty 3 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision UK Ltd - Disc
Gundam - Target in Sight - Namco Bandai Games - Disc
Full Auto 2: Battle Lines - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
Sonic the Hedgehog - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
Virtua Fighter 5 - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
Virtua Tennis 3 - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
World Snooker Championship 2007 - Sega Europe Ltd - Disc
NBA 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
NHL 2K7 - Take 2 International SA - Disc
Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion - Ubisoft Entertainment SA - Disc
Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
Need for Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
The Godfather: The Don's Edition - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Electronic Arts Ltd - Disc
F.E.A.R. Vivendi - Universal Games Intl SA - Disc
Gripshift - Sony Online Entertainment - Network

i dont wtf they do to you guys at sony after you join seems more like scientology than business ..its like you cant see the forrest for the trees ..remember all that times you were bitching about the soe devs and how they dont know wtf they are talking about well you sound just like one now ...condescending and comletely out of touch ...

you can spout your numbers and company article bullshit all you want but theres one thing you cant defeat and thats the opinion of your customers ..and guess what thats us .. we are the target audience for the ps3 we are all gamers here of various ages income lvls and mediums and when we the consumer say "hey you know what your product sucks ass " then guess what no amount of stats or other articles in here is going to change our minds

i love the ff series i love the metal gear series ive played them both since the nes days but new versions of those few games will not get me to buy a 600 dollar system ..are those folks out there that will ? of course and i hope they enjoy thier purchase but until that things half the cost im not going near it lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cubby @ Jan 26 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]141270[/snapback][/center]
i dont wtf they do to you guys at sony after you join seems more like scientology than business ..its like you cant see the forrest for the trees ..remember all that times you were bitching about the soe devs and how they dont know wtf they are talking about well you sound just like one now ...condescending and comletely out of touch ...

you can spout your numbers and company article bullshit all you want but theres one thing you cant defeat and thats the opinion of your customers ..and guess what thats us .. we are the target audience for the ps3 we are all gamers here of various ages income lvls and mediums and when we the consumer say "hey you know what your product sucks ass " then guess what no amount of stats or other articles in here is going to change our minds

i love the ff series i love the metal gear series ive played them both since the nes days but new versions of those few games will not get me to buy a 600 dollar system ..are those folks out there that will ? of course and i hope they enjoy thier purchase but until that things half the cost im not going near it lol
[/b]
You forgot the fact that any valid argument that he can't spin in his direction just gets ignored, much like my statment that stores have plenty of PS3s in stock and can not sell them, yet wiis still sell out as soon as a store gets them in.

Other than that, spot on.

I agree I may of been lost in the project, and not stop to asses the situation for consumers. I personally feel though that this is a good product, yes I agree the price point is too high, and that pisses me off too, but I can't change a price.

I agree cubby, we take customer feedback seriously, well atleast here anyway, I don't know about SOE, rofl. Focus groups are essential, and if things need to change or need re thinking then thats what R n D is for, let them get the job done. Realisticly the cubby the price point will probally settled a Xbox 360 launch price of about $450, remember you are getting an expensive piece of kit here.

Back