WoW Hits 8 million

BananaMan

Courtesy of Gamespot

Currently, the population of Earth is estimated to be around 6.7 billion people. As of this week, roughly 0.1 percent of the sum of modern humanity plays World of Warcraft. Today, Blizzard Entertainment announced that more than 8 million people subscribe to the massive massively multiplayer online role-playing game, setting a new milestone for the title more than two years after its fall 2004 release.

The tour of Blizzard HQ now includes a visit to its basement (pictured).

As it is with the real-world population, Chinese subscribers are the largest demographic in Azeroth, totaling 3.5 million players. Next up is North America, with 2 million players, followed by Europe, with 1.5 million--the remainder of subscribers are in other territories. Subscription rates vary by region, but US players pay $14.95 each month to play WOW after doling out the suggested retail price for the game, which has been lowered to just $19.99.

"We're ecstatic that the World of Warcraft community has continued to grow steadily since we launched the game," said Blizzard president and cofounder Mike Morhaime, presumably while being fed grapes and fanned with palm fronds atop a gigantic pile of cash. "This milestone wouldn't have been possible for us to achieve without the incredible support of our players."

Though its original world is already popular, World of Warcraft's borders will soon grow, courtesy of next week's release of the Burning Crusade expansion pack. Like the original WOW, it is rated T for Teen. However, at $39.99 it will cost more than the original game, which is required to play the expansion.

Blizzard's Basement:

gold892_screen.jpg

SWG sooooo had the potential to get more subscribers than that if only SOE wasnt so retarded. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Jan 12 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]139210[/snapback][/center]
SWG sooooo had the potential to get more subscribers than that if only SOE wasnt so retarded. :p
[/b]

Q F E!!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curse @ Jan 12 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]139210[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

Maybe... one of the things Blizz has going for it in regards to sales is the potential for that POS MMO to run on any POS Wal-mart Brand Computer. One of the funniest parts about beta'ing Vanguard and especially with the open beta is hearing...

Random Moron: Man Vanguard sucks, Sigil sucks, their server and game runs like crap Im getting 4FPS and Im staring at the floor!!!!

Huntryss: May I ask what kind of computer you are using to run this?

Random Moron: P4 1.4 Ghz, 1 Gig Ram and a Nvidia 5200 126mb

Random Moron 2: LMFAO you suck!

Random Moron 3: I have calculators more powerful then that

Random Moron 4: Can you even play Hello Kitty Adventure Island?

Random Moron 5: ChUcK NoRrIs FoR LiFe11!1!!111!

Huntryss: Might want to think of upgrading to play this game bud....

Random Moron: But it plays WoW perfectly

Huntryss: /facepalm

Random Moron 4: WoW SuxXoRs

Random Mornon 5: Who would win in a duel... Chuck Norris or Vin Diesel

Huntryss: /cockpistol

Huntryss has gone Link Dead....

I swear you would be surprised how many of these conversations are almost exactly like this on Vanguard. Cant wait for the open beta to be over so the ones looking for a free ride can go back to The Burning Crusade :ph34r:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Huntress @ Jan 12 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]139219[/snapback][/center]
Maybe... one of the things Blizz has going for it in regards to sales is the potential for that POS MMO to run on any POS Wal-mart Brand Computer. One of the funniest parts about beta'ing Vanguard and especially with the open beta is hearing...

Random Moron: Man Vanguard sucks, Sigil sucks, their server and game runs like crap Im getting 4FPS and Im staring at the floor!!!!

Huntryss: May I ask what kind of computer you are using to run this?

Random Moron: P4 1.4 Ghz, 1 Gig Ram and a Nvidia 5200 126mb

Random Moron 2: LMFAO you suck!

Random Moron 3: I have calculators more powerful then that

Random Moron 4: Can you even play Hello Kitty Adventure Island?

Random Moron 5: ChUcK NoRrIs FoR LiFe11!1!!111!

Huntryss: Might want to think of upgrading to play this game bud....

Random Moron: But it plays WoW perfectly

Huntryss: /facepalm

Random Moron 4: WoW SuxXoRs

Random Mornon 5: Who would win in a duel... Chuck Norris or Vin Diesel

Huntryss: /cockpistol

Huntryss has gone Link Dead....
I swear you would be surprised how many of these conversations are almost exactly like this on Vanguard. Cant wait for the open beta to be over so the ones looking for a free ride can go back to The Burning Crusade :ph34r:
[/b]
:lol:

:unsure: It doesn't run well on mine either. :(

Back