Gators: National Champs

Tharreta

I am totally surprised. They didn't just win, they really hammered Ohio State. I am a Gator fan, but I told everyone, Ohio State is a second half team. They do good in the first half, but really come alive in the second half. Needless to say, I am glad to be wrong. 41 - 14... That is not a game, that is an Ass Whipping to the 10th power! Congrats U of F!!!

Yes, congrats on Boise St finishing undefeated (that includes winning their BCS game) and not going to get any shot at a title. Woo hoo, stupid fucking BCS.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 9 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]138772[/snapback][/center]
Yes, congrats on Boise St finishing undefeated (that includes winning their BCS game) and not going to get any shot at a title. Woo hoo, stupid fucking BCS.
[/b]
Yeah, Boise State is my National Champion.

Yep Boise State....

BCS is a giant pile of Shit IMO

Give me a playoff that incorporates the existing bowl games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiberious @ Jan 10 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]138948[/snapback][/center]
Yep Boise State....
BCS is a giant pile of Shit IMO

Give me a playoff that incorporates the existing bowl games.
[/b]

Agree completely.

Cause honestly, USC also showed they should have a shot at the title too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 10 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]138960[/snapback][/center]
Agree completely.

Cause honestly, USC also showed they should have a shot at the title too.
[/b]
They should have all of the bowl games as usual, and make sure that it's 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. Any non-BCS school qualifying for a BCS bowl should be in that top 4 if they're undefeated.

Then you take the 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 winner and you put them in a true championship game.

There should be only one bowl game. period. National champions. Have the best team in the nation play the second best team in the nation and it's over. No bullshit bowls that go on for 3 weeks from companies i've never heard of

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 10 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]138992[/snapback][/center]
There should be only one bowl game. period. National champions. Have the best team in the nation play the second best team in the nation and it's over. No bullshit bowls that go on for 3 weeks from companies i've never heard of
[/b]
Americans enjoy bowl games, thanks.

no, it has nothing to do with being american. It's like saying that there will be no NFL "playoffs." but instead the teams would be pitted against each other according to ranking and there would be 8 different bowls.

that would be total crap. The reason I stopped watching college football was cause of all the bowls. College football has become more media-centric than the NFL. If you toss the NCAA a couple million bucks in sponsorship, they create a new bowl named after your company. Furthermore, college is a transition from child to adult. By having multiple bowls, it is just shielding the reality of the world from the kids with their "everyone is a winner" bullshit. Didn't make it to the Rose Bowl? Don't worry, you're in the Fiesta Bowl! Sucked too much for that? Have no fear, there's the Jethro's Local Hardware Shop Bowl!

All the multi-bowl system does is provide the best incentives towards the NCAA, networks like ESPN, and sponsors in the most maximizing way. One bowl is enough. There's best and second best. You're either dead or alive, and the guy who got mutilated early on doesn't get any honorable mentions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Jan 10 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]138994[/snapback][/center]
no, it has nothing to do with being american. It's like saying that there will be no NFL "playoffs." but instead the teams would be pitted against each other according to ranking and there would be 8 different bowls.

that would be total crap. The reason I stopped watching college football was cause of all the bowls. College football has become more media-centric than the NFL. If you toss the NCAA a couple million bucks in sponsorship, they create a new bowl named after your company. Furthermore, college is a transition from child to adult. By having multiple bowls, it is just shielding the reality of the world from the kids with their "everyone is a winner" bullshit. Didn't make it to the Rose Bowl? Don't worry, you're in the Fiesta Bowl! Sucked too much for that? Have no fear, there's the Jethro's Local Hardware Shop Bowl!

All the multi-bowl system does is provide the best incentives towards the NCAA, networks like ESPN, and sponsors in the most maximizing way. One bowl is enough. There's best and second best. You're either dead or alive, and the guy who got mutilated early on doesn't get any honorable mentions.
[/b]
The NCAA doesn't create bowl games. In the beginning, bowl games were created by coalitions of interests for the purposes of attracting large amounts of fans to certain areas. Mostly for tourism and related businesses. These days many of the lower tier bowls have been bought out by sponsors and renamed accordingly.
As time progressed and bowls became more popular there was no question the number would multiply. The NCAA imposed some rules for bowl eligibility to maintain a level of professionalism. It would look bad for a team with a losing record to be invited to a bowl, and would diminish the mystique.

A bowl game is a win-win for any college team. One of the big reasons the anti-playoff crowd cites (and I agree) is that a playoff system would devalue the bowl experience. The college players get to travel (usually to a nice weather place) and spend a week being pampered by the local community. Also, coaches enjoy the bowl games because it gives them an extra few weeks of practice before next year that the NCAA doesn't otherwise allow.

Take away the whole bowl game atmosphere by installing playoffs and the visitor team (or both teams at neutral sites) would arrive by plane the day before and fly out after the game.

If you don't like to watch bowl games, then don't watch them. It doesn't mean they have no value or are worthless in any way.

any anti playoff agruement is automatically rendered null and void by the current long standing and highly successful playoff system in div II-A

why dont division IIA teams get big shiney bowls ? easy they are smaller schools thus they cant maintain the fanbase to ensure financial success for the bowl sponsers ...having a system that invites the winner of every conference plus two at large bids in div I-A would be much better imo ...personally i dont know why the big bowls havent jumped at this i mean it would mean more games and more coverage for their bowls

o btw that one loss Florida has ... that was us :p GO AUBURN !! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cubby @ Jan 11 2007, 08:58 AM) [snapback]139019[/snapback][/center]
o btw that one loss Florida has ... that was us :p GO AUBURN !! :p
[/b]
You play for Auburn?

Back